Thread: Vent holes in rims????

Default Vent holes in rims????

Adding a vent hole to a 2.2 mil spec rim???? I just noticed that the rims do not have any vent holes in them for pressure release from the tires. Any ideas on where to add one to them or if these should already have had one??

--Dan

I don't have a set of mill specs to give you definites, but first... how heavy will your truck be? If you vent the wheels you might be running on flats....

You could also try venting your tyres. I hate the idea, personally, but racers do this. They use a really sharp leather punch to do it, so there are no tear points in the hole. A good place would be an inner sidewall, on a thick patch, like raised lettering.

I have vented my tiress for years. I 'll cut 2 small holes 180* from each other.I don't put mine on the side wall, I put mine in the middle of the tread . In 30 years of rc I never tore one because of the hole.
    If you have a heavy rig, you can put in stiffer foams. after getting wet ,I'll park my rig with the hole down and the foams dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalelover View Post
    Adding a vent hole to a 2.2 mil spec rim???? I just noticed that the rims do not have any vent holes in them for pressure release from the tires. Any ideas on where to add one to them or if these should already have had one??

--Dan
    I always run vent holes. I either drill a small hole in my wheel or I punch a couple of small holes with a leather punch.