Thread: Tf ii

Default Tf ii

Trail Finder II
    Here we go, starting on my TF Truck Edition 3-link. It is another E-Bay rescue. The plans for this one are not totally decided at this time, I wanted to build a 6X6 Ford F-350 but this came up so now I?m thinking of re-cutting the frame to build a crew cab 4X4 towing rig. So far I have the TF, two body sets, radio gear and some small add scale parts ordered. Most should be here over the next couple weeks (the joy of living way out of the way), then the true planning will start.
    Here are the pics of the TF and the bodies I have to play with.

Default The decision has been made

The decision has been made on the configuration of the truck. I?m going to use the Black F-150 body. But it is getting a slight twist to it. I?m going to drop it as low as I can and have a street truck. I have found drift car rims and tires that will fit and then lower the ride height with the suspension and body.

Just to have a different look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A short update

I have stretched the wheel base out to 325mm and still need to go 10mm more to sit in the wheel wells correctly. I have had to order longer solid links and punisher shafts to do this. I have the shocks set as droop to lower the frame and ordered shorter shocks. I had to cut out the box to have it sit lower and maintain the battery location. I?m going to make a box cover for it not sure yet if I?m going to use smoked Plexiglas or build one with aluminum. If I build a metal cover it will get painted mat black.
    I still want to lower the body about 5mm on the front to bet a better stance on the truck. It?s a fast runner but not a drifter.

Default The Plan

I have decided on the finial look for this truck. It will be as close as I can get to my daughters 2011 F-150 FX4. The color will be race red with some black trim.
    I may look for a set of rims that are closer to what is on her truck. I?m having fun finding rims and tires that are close to scale for the truck. I can find rims but the tires are too high or too low on the side wall.

Default Short update

So I know have the wheel base corrected and the ride height lowered to where I want it. I also have the box cover build and will get the engraving done next week.
    I have it in the first coat of primer now that it warmed up outside to air it off. Looks like there are quite a few mold lines that I need to file and sand out. They did not look this bad before the primer.

Default Sanding done

After using a point file to remove the ridges and sanding with 220 flex pad.

Default Back in black

First coat of base colour, I checked with the local dealer and Ford use a black primer/base coat for the colour I?m using. So it?s back to black. It will cure over night then first coat of finial colour if it?s warm enough tomorrow.

I?m surprised that I have not had any comments on lowering a trail finder.

I'm excited to see this finished. The right stance will really set it off.
    Team RC4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
    I'm excited to see this finished. The right stance will really set it off.
    I agree , we need a thumbs up smiley

Default Prep for color

I have the masking done ready for color. Will spray the color later today when it warms up outside.

Default First shot

Got the first shot of color on. Race Red. I?m returning to work tomorrow so I?m trying to get the color on before I go. This will give it a week to harden before I continue with the detail painting and finishing. I?m hoping to get two more shots of color today yet.

Default Third coat

Here it is with three coats of Race Red. The masking removed. Now I will let it cure for the next week and start clean up painting and rebuild. Not overly happy with the paint brand, it?s not what I usually use but it was the closest to the factory color I could get. I think she will be happy with it when it is finished.

Default The Stance

Had to put the box cover and windows back in to be able to see the finial stance of the truck. To me it sits about right. I need to redo the tail pipe as it is too high, might need to do dual on it. I an still working on the running boards, I have them bent but I need to sand blast them so they can be painted flat black, they are stainless steel at the moment. This will lower the look by about 3/8?. That will put the truck at 1 1/8? off the floor. Off to work again.

Comments?

Default Slow progress

It?s been slow progress so far this week, with Easter and now it?s to cool outside to paint again. So onto other details. I fixed the exhaust so it lines up correctly and added the running boards. I?m now working on the logos. The FX4 for the sides along with the F150 badge. As well as the Ford oval for front and back. They will not get put on until I go to do the clear coat.

Slow and sure, but it?s coming.

Any comments or suggestions? I?m always looking for input.

Default Detail painting

Slow going this week, cool outside and busy. I have been able to get some of the detail done but still have more to do. I?m looking for the correct logos, I have them for a 1/10th scale but not for the 1/8th. I will have to do some work in software to resize and print them.