RTR0030

Thread: Rckcrwlr is letting the Skeleton out of the Closet with the help of GCM

Default Rckcrwlr is letting the Skeleton out of the Closet with the help of GCM

From the first minute I saw the new 2Dr JK going around, I knew that I needed one. But what chassis to put it on?

SCX10...
    TF2...
    Gelande 2...

Was talking with Chris from GCM about projects and what I wanted to do. It just happened that he had just started putting on paper a chassis designed around that body...

Listening to Chris' plans during the design stage and helping with some of the more "practical" applications, he came up with what he is calling...

"THE SKELETON"

Today I got a package from Canada....

The detail and finish are impeccable...as always expected from GCM...funny thing is that many years ago, I had one of the early Cross Canyons, that I still run today.

He set me up with the links, flat skid and his new panhard bracket for the RC4WD K44 Axles. A lot of thought went into making this thing flat out work. And work it will do. The new bracket (I'll show later on) eliminates the stock 4 link bracket for the axles which allows full articulation without hitting anything...and when I say anything....he has made room for not only the Chassis Mounted Servo but also a Servo Winch...yeap you read that right.

Chris also sent me his 1:1 Transfer Case. This will be driven by his well know front tranny mount with an Axial Tranny.

Thanks Chris for the incredible thought out and clean design...and to think that you turned it around in a couple months...

I can start visualizing it....Can you??

I like the chassis.. Body, way to American But can't help it.
    Are you changing color or is this the final color?

2.2 Sportsman Champ Supercrawl 2013

Great chassi looks good , and this Body is just a must have . i mount this Body with my G2 . will you mount a streetversion and a trialversion ?

[IMG]http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/w...Sig_Silver.jpg[/IMG]Greetings Udo

Sorry for english it is horrible

Quote Originally Posted by douwe View Post
    I like the chassis.. Body, way to American But can't help it.
    Are you changing color or is this the final color?
    Just wait until you see...

Quote Originally Posted by udito View Post
    Great chassi looks good , and this Body is just a must have . i mount this Body with my G2 . will you mount a streetversion and a trialversion ?

Looks good...Going with a Class 1 look...

Working on three projects at once...while the paint dries on one, I go to the other.

Wanted to share with you the accuracy that GCM has with this chassis and the JK body...

Side view

How it fits in the front of the body...

Rear

Also wanted to make the axles a little more realistic...scuffed and shot them with black etching primer...

Before:

After:

Wrestling with the 1.7 Super soft TTC Radials on 1.9 wheels, so I set the tires on the outer ring with the bead flat...and stuck them in the freezer. Hopefully that will work.

I got the tires mounted up using this process:

http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...s-(Just-Chill)

Made it much easier to work with.

Now onto the chassis and axles...

Get a good blob of blue threadloc for all the screws that are going into metal. I tend to put some in the corner of my work mat for easy access...just don't put your arm in it.

I wanted to show you a cool thing that GCM did. Their motor mount is attached to the chassis with square pegs. The first picture doesn't show it very well but the second one shows the square hole. This mount and the panhard can also be installed left or right hand drive.

You can also see here how much adjustability is built into the chassis...

Once the Screws were all checked, it was time to get the shocks ready.

I opted for RC4WD OLD MAN EMU 80mm shocks, mainly for the scale look and the smooth function. These are internally sprung so I added 100w shock oil and filled it about half way. Just enough to keep them lubed and running smooth.

With the Skeleton Chassis, it comes with a 3 Link/Panhard that is designed for the K44 Axles. With that, you will need two of the 4 Link Mounts from RC4WD (#Z-S0133). You will use the full kit on the rear axle. On the front you will only use the lower link mounts.

Mounted up, the panhard mount fits like a glove. There has definitely been a lot of thought behind this design.

Well, I have a half roller...

Here you can see the axles...having the matte finish really makes them look more realistic...

View into the wheelwells, you can see how well this chassis was designed for this body. But with all the adjustability, it can be made to fit a myriad of full interior projects.

Took her outside for a couple posers...I love the stance and those wheels are amazing...

It was time to get some real protection on this rig...

Opted for RC4WD Rampage Recovery Bumper for the SCX10 for the front.

It is amazing how well these fit...like the chassis was designed for them.

All I did was removed the bumpers (Three Screws each) then set the body where I wanted it on the chassis.

Marked where the body would need cut to settle it down and took the dremel carefully to notch it out.

If you just remove this material, you can always put the stock bumpers back on...which look cool also.

Here it is set on and the bumper adjusted...What else can I say...

I then added the RC4WD Rampage Recovery Rear Bumper with swing out Tire Carrier on the rear (ordered the SCX10 Universal mounts)

http://www.beadlok.com/product/image.../Z-S0959-2.jpg

Using the same process, I got a dead on match up...

Now just waiting on the drivetrain...

I had a question on the size comparison to the Tamiya Wrangler Body....so I figured I would share it here also...

Now that the Semi is done...I was able to get back to this project...

Installed the Steering Linkage:

And the Tranny... you can see how well it tucks in the front...

Little bit of time for me and my Skeleton...not sure if I can get it done for ECSC14, but we will see..

Thanks to LappDogg and SaTayo for the Paint and decals...

Jeep is lookin' bomber! Love the color and the texture on the fenders.
    Team Driver for Race730

Very nice jeep. Like the wheels... Didn't know they would look that good on a cat

2.2 Sportsman Champ Supercrawl 2013