new to forum .need help selecting a new kit .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TITANTESLA
    • Oct 2014

new to forum .need help selecting a new kit .

Hello guys iam new to this forum. however i have been in rc for a while mostly running 1/8 scale buggy.I started in crawling about 2 years ago .but moved and forgot about it .i now am wanting to build a scaler been looking at the tf2 . Before i buy i would like to get a better idea on what kits are the best . I also live in northplatte NE and looking for others to crawl with .
  • stevetate12
    • Jan 2014

I have a gelande 2 killer scale kit.....and the trailfinder is just as good.....im not a fan of the 2 speed trans but if your the same a single speed version bolts right in there
    Sent from your moms house

Comment

• TITANTESLA
      • Oct 2014

Hi Steve i dont think i have seen a gelande rig what does it look like ? . And yes i know where your comeing from reguarding the two speed however i have a tamiya f350 3speed. i love the pulling power but you have to be dam careful when shifting or 1 you will role down the hill or 2 you will grind it .no clutch haha. anyway i have been researching around to find the most realistic and the best rig to build and that trail finder 2 has my eye however i dont want to use the toyota body . i would like to find hard body chevy truck older one or a dodge ram charger or older dodge pickup body. i dont know thats why iam here to get some options and opinions

Comment

• TITANTESLA
        • Oct 2014

Ok STeve i looked at the gelande its seems legit . is it a shorter wheel base ? and if so wouldnt that make it more top heavy? . i plan on putting scale stuff in the back like a cooler and jacks ect i thought about building a camel trophy body but i think i would like a truck body more .i dont know thats just it lol .i figure i would select a chassis and electronics first then go from there . and from my past exp with my tamiya hard body is a lot stronger in serious off road situations and the weight helps with climbing .but then again iam speaking from tamiya exp.

Comment

• stevetate12
          • Jan 2014

Its a short wheelbase but I can tell you it is not as top heavy as it looks ....it constantly suprises me on the trail.....we have a facebook page called crawling tough news. You can see what I does ....its not a major rock crawler .....its a scaler and should be driven that way but it will "within reason" hang with the scx10/sawbacks/tamiyas that go trailing with us .....i love mine

Comment

• TITANTESLA
            • Oct 2014

it looks like a very nice rig for sure .obviously i have questions about it but i allways question investments lol .I am trying to build as one would say rc4wd flagship rig over the winter . there is me and a friend of myn here in northplatte that works at a hobby shop called Jims hobby shop. and we are working to start a crawling group here in town there are a few people here in to it but nothing structured.so for me and him we are trying to build a couple of nice detailed flagship rigs . to not only promote rc4wd but our shop and group aswell . so this is kinda serious here in the early stages . but back on point i would ask what electroics set up would be the best and has the best balance of power and drive time ? sucha as batterys and esc and such?

Comment

• stevetate12
              • Jan 2014

I run a castle waterproof sv3 esc....tamiya silver can 540 motor ...castle bec and a savox water proof servo.....ya need a good strong steering servo cause its a heavy rig.......at least that's what I have found ......use red thread lock on everything and don't over tighten the bolts that hold the steering knuckles on.......other than that its a matter of preference.....have a winch bumper and a bulldog winch....snatch block helps due to weight......and your doing pretty much what our group is doing along with a hobby shop here

Comment

• TITANTESLA
                • Oct 2014

sounds like a good steady set up Steve .i normaly run hitec ether steel gear or titainium gear drive servos i used them in my buggys and they took a pounding .I been looking in to the tekin stuff that the guy on the vids uses cuz he seems to have good performace with it . i guess the combo i would want would be plenty of power and a torqy motor but in a system that doesnt require me to have ten batterys in my bag lol .

Comment

• stevetate12
                  • Jan 2014

All that stuff works great too...Ive been running turnigy 2s lipo soft packs (so they don't push the interior up).....i get nearly 4 hrs with lights and winch.....a good servo is a must though....i had a blue bird servo that worked just fine but it got tired the savox one I have work great but it needs a bec .....and the $15 tamiya silver can is my favorite motor.....lol....works in everything excel my cc01 had to put a 55t in that......anyway....you wont be disappointed in a gelande 2 kit.....i would love to build another

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2005

Welcome to the site...

There is a lot of information on here regarding both kits you are contemplating. Please feel free to browse and ask questions on the builds. My team is here to help.

John

Comment

• Northernerbill
                      • May 2012

I'm probably the biggest TF2 fan there is to be honest.

I enjoying building as much as running so tend move rigs on to make space for the next. I'm now on my 4th TF2 which I'm just starting to build. I've had the G2 too and it is very similar but doesn't handle as well as TF2 as said due to the wheelbase being shorter.

Don't get hung up on the gear change. You can't damage anything changing gear due to the way its designed to work and its flawless in operation. If you want to run it single speed you can by locking it out in either of the two gears which might be of interest.

All my builds are on here in the TF2 section and I'm about to start my new thread for number 4.

My last TF2 won class 1 in the UK scale Nats against all the other brands, and I tried to run as stock as possible too, so theres proof of its capability.

Buy it !!!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

• TITANTESLA
                        • Oct 2014

Hello again guys and thanks you for the feed back . i like you guys already very helpful and nice . at the current moment i have my work space compltely torn to hell trying to find a large steel desk with drawers and a thick wood top for a small vice . this will be my new work shop for builds and such .also after looking at the ten million plus electronic set ups i like the spektrum tx45 radio from what i read it can be used with up to 60 diffrent vehicals and in the months and years to come this will be very handy thoughts?.also me and brian are makeing progress here in town as far as geting a group going we are working on a flyer to put up about the groups first meeting . however this is kinda akward cuz i dont have a running rig build up yet and my tamiya f350 has been in a box for two years lol.i have also shown them the rc4wd site and forum so they can shop and find parts kits ect .we are expecting around 10 to 15 people to be at the first one .so needless to say after work i have been very busy .is there any sugestions help or tips you guys can give me reguarding being a team leader with a new group?. as far as things i should do or talk about and should i have a disciplin for the trails stuff like thaat ? iam kinda learning as i go here haha .iam trying to cover a lot of ground here at once but once every thing takes off it should get easyer .

Comment

• TITANTESLA
                          • Oct 2014

Hi Bill and thank you for the tf2 input . currently brian has been trying to get me a tf2 so i can get started however iam not sure if i can get one because he thinks they are back ordered . he has one of his own he just got a few months ago and has it almost done as a roler. he will be running a jeep cheroke body i plan on ether running a chevy truck body hard would be good if i can find one a 70s dodge pick up body . anyway i have to still get a radio and electronics and such but i have to do this over time for money purposes. but if i can just get my kit and get started hopefuly i can have something nice to show the guys at the meet . I am already geting questions about the tf2 and the timber wolf and i answer what i can but i refer them to here or the site . for first hand info .

Comment

• TITANTESLA
                            • Oct 2014

Hey guys quick question . Will the clod buster body work on the tf2? if so that would make my day . Also i tryed to have brian order me a tf2 kit today but the site says out of stock and he said the same thing so iam kinda screwed at the moment. any help on getting one would be great .

Comment

• stevetate12
                              • Jan 2014

Yes clod body goes right on same wheelbase as far as I know......friend of mine has one

Comment

Working...
                              X