X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soulja55
    • Oct 2014

1/8 Scale Boyer/RC4WD Monster Truck Build

In the quest of trying to do something totally different.....we as guys find ourselves trying to build that truck no one has......that one that everyone looks at, our favorite monster truck icon, or simply just that thing that everyone knows is yours. Well.....I am actually no different. Almost two years ago i sought out to make that truck and now it is just starting to come to reality!!!

Here are the new parts that i have so far:

Boyer made 1/8 scale chassis that uses XTM X factor Axles and an Emax 3906 trans. The trans will still be shiftable....thats the main reason i wanted to use it
    Mamba Monster 2 setup with 2200KV 1515 motor
    Axial SCX10 shocks (because i had them and they were new!)
    Crawford Performance servos
    Imex Kong tires (shaven.....trying to start on the next tire!!)
    Imex Diamond 17mm Chrome wheels
    Muscle Machines Hemi engine
    Ofna Servo savers (bought from CPE)
    RC4WD Punisher extended X factor Driveshafts
    Parma 04 F150 1/8 scale body (decided not to use it though....smh)

Today was the first start of the project and it is going really well. The tolerances of the chassis and dimensions are perfect.....John Is ON POINT! The craftsmanship of this thing is awesome and its practicalness is perfect. the shock mounts can be adjusted up and down. The trans can be taken out in less than three minutes. What more can a guy ask for?!?!? Today i put in the motor and pinion, mounted the shocks installed the driveshafts, installed the steering arms and servo. VIOLA! BESIDES WHEELS AND TIRES I ALREADY HAVE A READY TO RUN CHASSIS......well.....kinda! Still undecided on which shocks i really want to run........these shocks look very well. Everything thing fits....has tight tolerances....and is very clean.

://s239.photobucket.com/user/soulja55/media/Boyer/2014-10-04_105819_zps9132baea.jpg.html][/URL]

the shafts

the motor

i was in a good mood a first......ordered all eight shocks this morning off ebay for a cool $39 dollars shipped....and i was happy until i came home.

i was doing some measuring and looking and these dag blasted axles are WAAAAY to wide....even for this truck. the wheelbase of the truck is 15.25 inches....i can work with that. but the problem comes at the axles. these things are HUGE. the body is 8.5 inches wideas shown by the pic here

the main problem comes as the axles measure out from wheel hex to wheel hex at 14.5 inches! as you can see from these pic that waaaay to wide with a body on and looks cartoonish and stupid. that ain't gonna fly.

the dimensions of the frame itself are very hefty. the frame length is 18.25 long

8 and 3/16 high

and 6.5 wide at the widest point

so.....it's looks like i going to have to get the RC4WD digger axles now. if i don't....it's just going to kill the whole look of the truck. look like i'll be pulling the driveshafts off and selling those, the body , and the scx10 shocks. i don't want a lame looking scale build. my other alternative would be to put the stock xtm or savage style wheels on it.....but the positive offset is totally killing the scale look. John actually sent me a pic of the truck with XTM wheels on it...but they just kill the look.

i guess i'm gonna have to change directions and work on the body rather than getting the chassis finished first until i can get the money for the axles. smh

i got a busload of parts in.....and a boatload of them still on the way. Tonight before Walking Dead i put the axles on. I must say those things are awesome and build incredibly well.....i can't see them being broken easily. one of my axle's four link was turned the wrong way from the factory. The steering kits bolted up perfectly and keeps the wheels straight. the whelly king shocks would them very well......but i didn't have a long enough screw to put on four of them on it. so far here are the progress pics.....more to come later. the pinion angle is gonna be adjust by changing the postion of the lower link.....another feature john built in with the frame that will prove to be very helpful.

got some parts in today i got in my Crawford fuel tank......B&H tires, shock spacers, and my Savox 500 oz each servos came into. This think is gonna have some steering power.......i hope everything fits okay. As of now ....it looks all good....but we'll see. I threw on a Grave Robber body i had to see the size of an 1/8 scale body on it.......it's still a little too short....but workable. This may be the body i put on it when i run it......

I got the other shocks put on. I tried them without the springs but this thing is so heavy it still drooped down.....but putting the shock's springs back on it made it sit just right. It took three spacers to get it sitting just right.

I also moved the lower link to the inside mounting hole so that the axles will sit level. That little bit of movement was all it needed to sit the proper way.

I am seriously upset with Traxxas and the doggon transmission. I ordered all the parts that Traxxas made in steel for it....and when i took the transmission apart.....all the internals looked perfect and unused......but none of the parts fit. The 3996X gears need to be machined down to the width of the old gears.......and i refuse to do it. I don't see why i should have to make gears that they gave the part number for work.......smh....soooooooo

I will be putting the trans back together and selling all the parts (I'll post up here soon) i bought for it. I had been looking into different transmissions that would be different and still be able to handle the power of the Castle motor.....but i didn't want to be like everyone else.......so after about three days of looking i decided to run the Kershaw Designs Savage V3 trans he makes. Simple designs, tough as nails, easy to mount for the key things i wanted. I would have ran the the mad force trans but had seen a few trucks with it...... didn't want to copy their design though. I ordered this today and am just waiting for it to come in. Can't wait.......

so until that comes in i will be loctiting my axles and adding two spider gears and trying to figure out a way to mount my scale engine and speed controller....

i took the axles apart yesterday. i bought HPI part #87193 four bevel gear kit for the diffs. I cleaned out the grease in the axles and added 30000 Wt silicone diff fluid to them to give them a smoother action and more positive feel. this is the best thing that works for me without totally locking the diffs. when i did that to my savages it gave a positive traction take off......and just enough slip not to totally unload to the inside wheel when turning. its just something that i got used to so i figured while i had them out i would do it.

for some reason or another in one of the diffs. the bevel gear pin whouldn't go in the diff.......so i had to lightly grind the pin for it to slide down in the housing.

after i got the diffs back together and sealed......i was told from Bari and Tad to make sure to threadlock all the screws......and i saw that while taking it apart. so i used red loctite on all the screws to make sure i didn't lose one.....and i almost did before...

with all the axles together ....i put in the Savox SA 1230SG servos with Ofna blue servo savers i servo savers sit kinda hit for my taste......i may come up with something better or try to lower the servo mount if i can. i have to look at it good...

last thing on the bucket list was to prepare the chassis for the Savgae transmission that will be here soon.....so i took the mounts off the sides and it looks as if i have PLENTY of room for the Savage Trans. more on that when it get here.
  • twissted
    • Oct 2009

What fun and one of a kind Truck! The tires and sweet also. Nice choice of parts! It is almost the size of a Yeti XL.
    I also have a Savage trans waiting for a monster truck build. If it is the same one I have it is heavy from the metal gears inside.
    Last edited by twissted; 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM.
    Crawl me a river!

Comment

• Dirtychevy45
      • Sep 2015

how do you have them clod rims on there? adapters i presume?

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X