ORA's "Long Way To Go" Beast II 6x6 build (on going project) - (PIC Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offroadace
    • Dec 2012

So, a while ago I got the bright idea to build a TF2. It was probably from seeing all these great custom builds and I thought, ‘Hey! I can do that!”. So time went on and the TF2 continued to be unavailable.

Then I began thinking about a complete ground up build in 1/10 of my Thor Fun Mover RV. That would be a 40 in RC and since I don’t know anything about suspension geometry and don’t really have the time to learn I put that on the back burner.

A while more went by and the TF2 was still unavailable but I started seeing the references and builds related to RC4WD Beast II and I thought to myself, ‘Hey! I can do that!”. Then I got the idea that if I did go this route I would make change the cargo bed into a motorhome.

Still thought a while more about it and found CKRC had a great deal on a purchase and pulled the trigger on the Beast II. So no the story (build) begins.

The title indicates that I am not in hurry and having fun so this will be slow build and will update as I can.

I’ll forgo the obligatory box/parts shots and get to the build process (product review) and a more completed part of the build.

The Beast II kit review;
    Tires/Wheels - I like them a lot. Mil-Spec and Humvees. Very cool look and militant/industrial styling.
    Problem - 2 of the wheels rear piece had the bolt holes that were too small for the screw to pass through. I had to get a micro drill and go through both pieces to resolve that issue.
    I have also heard that I was not the only one that had this issue and had it much worse.

Frame/Suspension
    Easy enough. No problems for me to report.
    I noticed in another build thread that there was a problem with the transfer case not lining up with the bolts.
    Instructions are a little confusing regarding the farthest rear axle construction.

Body assembly
    Poor imprecise instruction - Illustration only. Very little statement regarding assembly process only reference to hardware that is being used in the step. Probably due to a language barrier issue and sales in other countries. Having one manual with illustration and minimal text allows for multiple applications.
    Some parts missing protrusions/slots that are pictured in the assembly illustration. Makes assembly difficult to line panels up when tabs/slots are not present.
    Parts are tagged with letters/sizes on the parts tree. Absolutely no reference to any lettering in the manual. Maybe I got an older manual and new kits will have proper designations stated in the instructions.
    The assembly order of some panel needs to be reversed to make sense with the assembly and easier to build.

Tire carrier
    Squashes the tire in place. I test a Mil-Spec and another similar sized tire and it is an extremely tight fit and would crush into the tire once bolted down.
    Bolting down the spare tire rack to the body does not allow for tire removal.

Here’s what I have so far for the build, and much more to come.

I did build the core bed but won’t be using it. Just wanted to get an idea for the next step and used it for mocking the coach panels. I’ll eventually build it up so I can swap it out when I want.

First step was to get the overall coach sized up.

Built up the cab and added a roof rack on the roof hatch Not sure I will keep this or build one from brass/steel. I think a hand built one will look more scale, but this will do for mockup right now.

Through a spare tire on. Going to get another MIL-SPEC and Humvee tire/wheel. I was also looking at the spare tire carrier and don’t like the way it fits or looks so plan on building a custom one that will allow for swinging out to access the tire. This one is stationary and can’t be accessed.

Found some seats from a 1/14 HALO Warthog. They look pretty good in mockup. Plan on painting and making custom seat belts. I still need to build the cab interior and dash. I put the controls on the wrong side. It will be correct as I move forward with the interior. Just wanted to get a general picture to see what it would look like.

Pulled the LED light-bar off my SC10RS roof and put it on the front of the cab. I like the size and it will be bright.

Coach mockup/sizing.

Wheel well cut into the template.

Added some windows to the component side and back and cut the top forward roof angle and rear bottom departure angle on the back to the template.

Added entry side door and windows. Small windows are mirrored from other side. Added the dining area window and door.

My first big styrene build attempt. The floor of the coach. Drilled out some small pockets in the substructure and hot glued magnets in them and then to the bottom of the floor and it sits nicely and the magnets are recessed in the structure.

Driver side coach wall panel.
  • offroadace
    • Dec 2012

All coach panels with windows and entry door.

Added a bedroom bulkhead wall with a door. Used aileron hinges for the door.

Added upper rails for support for the roof and magnets to hold the roof in place.

Bathroom interior wall with door and side wall.

Made the bathroom modular so I could work on more details. Added a shower and shelving. Also have a shower head and control, but they will be painted separately and then put in place near final assembly.

Bathroom module in place.

Build a bed platform and drawers/wardrobe storage. Plan on putting a small foam mattress wrapped in some fabric.

Additional wardrobe and dresser. Women need their space for all their clothes, shoes and makeup.

Comment

• offroadace
      • Dec 2012

Need a TV for the livingroom. Nice LED.

Decided to frame it into a pocket that it slides in from the top. No worries about velcro or tape or glue and slides in and out without any problem.

Difficult to see but playing Army Of Darkness.

Kitchen sink, utensil drawers, under sink small refrigerator. Also have faucet/controls to be painted separately and assembled near final assembly.

Living Room storage. Extra storage for games/books/entertainment. Probably build a gaming system for on top.

Living Room couch. Fairly basic. I’ll put some fabric on it farther on down the line.

Overhead cabinets in all rooms. RV’s need random storage all over. Never enough storage in an RV.

Comment

• new2rocks
        • Jan 2015

Wow - that's an amazing start. I think your camper now has more parts than the kit bed, lol. I look forward to seeing how this progresses.
        Last edited by new2rocks; 08-13-2015, 07:09 AM.
        BowHouse RC
        GCM #tinytruck Team
        Team Helios RC

"Sometimes nothin' can be a pretty cool hand..."
        - Cool Hand Luke

Comment

• offroadace
          • Dec 2012

Fender wheel well. We all have dealt with them. Here is a preliminary closure of the coach framework to block the pass-through under the coach.
          Here is where it started with large holes in between the support structure and chassis.

New skirt panels.

Skirt panels assembled.

Support structure on chassis.

Support structure on chassis with coach. Not the cleanest or most precise, but WAY better than it was before for the look I am wanting on this build.

Lighting. What to do? This seems to be a bigger lighting project than I am used to building, but have had luck with this module on my Twin Hammer, and they are not expensive and has a nice control module with strobe/flashing operations.

Here is the setup on the coach exterior so far, front facing.

I don’t have anything connected to the Beast yet so am connecting the power from my SC10RS.
          Mounted the cab front lightbar and installed LEDs to the coach lightbar. Still need to clean up the wiring a bit better and plan to hide the controller under the living room drawer module.

Generically placed the roof MAXAIR vent covers (living/kitchen area, bathroom and bedroom) and MAXAIR A/C unit on the roof.

Added cab marker lighting with another light kit. Still need to do some finishing touches on them and make them not so see-through when lit, as well as paint the LED amber. I’ll still need to add marker lights on the exterior sides of the coach as well. Probably make those flush mount. I’ll clean the wiring up later once I get closer to a finish configuration.

Both cab and coach exterior lighting, so far.

Comment

• vraholic
            • Mar 2016

Awesome build, amazing job

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Comment

• offroadace
              • Dec 2012

Thanks.

Since last update I have been Duning!. ATV's and buggies. Gotto love IRL some times.

I also got a HG P601 RTR with upgrades for under $200 so I could at least play with something. Pretty decent OOTB. Still need to oil the shocks, but it handles the hardpack of the camp pretty good. Also got a FPV setup. Tested that on the P601 and it was pretty cool. Started losing feed about 30 yrds across camp.

Also started playing banjo. Weirdly easy and relate-able to guitar. Not any good at either, but still interesting.

Need to get back into this one though. Long list of wants that I need to get into.

Comment

• offroadace
                • Dec 2012

4/3/2016 update

Finally getting back into this build. Been working on other projects and playing through Dune season so this got put on the backburner. One last trip coming up and then I can focus on this and some hobbyroom projects.
                Had some time to look into brazing a cage and this is what I came up with. Still learning brazing and wanted to keep the cage modular so if I screwed up I could just remake a portion easily.

Here are some taillights I didn’t post with my last update. There is one more centered light I have added on the bottom that can be seen in later photos once I decide to post them with the rear tire carrier. I was still figuring out the LED configuration when I took these pics

Working with styrene to create a dash, center console, overhead display and just taking up the space between the seats with compartments.

Mounting points for the cage. This was easiest for me at this point. I may rebuild/change it when I get better at brazing.

Laying out hardpoint locations that make sense.

Comment

• offroadace
                  • Dec 2012

And,....DONE! Ok. Maybe not. Testing hardpoint locations with pipecleaners and getting an idea on how it might work out with angles and lengths.

First few bends. Looking ok.

Setting up where the posts will align with the cross member.

First few post brazes for the bracing posts.

Second crossmember with bracing posts.

Rear vertical post is going to come forward once it reaches the top of the cab and slide through the second crossmember and mount to the first crossmember.

Comment

• offroadace
                    • Dec 2012

More…….and finished the passenger side top brace.

Driver’s side mid and lower horizontal members installed

Front view with passenger side horizontal member above the door.

Threw the side mirror brackets on to see if I missed.

The stock provided side tire carrier is weak at best. I needed to improve on this and wanted the carrier to drop down for easier access and came up with this homemade hinge type style.

And hinge created.

Used an SC10 front wheel dogbone cup and chopped the cup off and added a small brass plate to braze it to the rectangular box tube so I could then add a latch (later).

Comment

• offroadace
                      • Dec 2012

…...continued…...

Now I needed to be able to latch the tire carrier so it wouldn’t just flop out.

Wanted to protect the front LED lightbar so came up with this.
                      Bottom rectangular tube mounted to the body.

Comment

• vraholic
                        • Mar 2016

This build is beyond amazing, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Comment

• offroadace
                          • Dec 2012

Finished the rear tire and gas can carrier. Waiting for DSPro to send the cans and holders.
                          The tire carrier is similar to the side, but without the swing-away.

It is just square rod that slides into square tubing that is at an angle. It holds pretty good, but I may add some pin holds for body pins.

I think the hitch might be a little low. Probably a future mod when I decide to create a trailer.

Added mounting location for the DSPro gas can holders. Going with the 2 can side x side for each side of the tire. So 4 cans in the back and probably 2 single cans near the side tire.

Comment

• offroadace
                            • Dec 2012

5/2/2016

AZIZ!!! LIGHTS!!!! (look it up if you don’t get the reference)

Re-arranged, re-routed, re-wired the lighting kits.
                            Front lights are configured for [headlight, roof markers, couch roof] on one switchable channel (HeyOK), [front light bar, interior dash/center console/center window pod] on another switchable channel and [rear upper / lower] on another switchable channel. The dash, center console and center pod will all have stickers on them to depict some type of control panel or monitor display.
                            In addition to the channel selection each light controller pod has a flash sequence selection swtich so the front headlights/roof markers have one and the rear have another and can set the flashing sequences for each. Small light video below.

Front;

Interior;

Rear;

Flashing sequences.
                            RC4WD Beast II (RV Conversion) - Lights
                            Last edited by offroadace; 05-02-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X