X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCtrucknut
    • Jul 2015

This Tamiya Bruiser is a K5 Blazer

I recently used the pickup truck body from a 2012 re-released Tamiya Bruiser kit I had sitting in the attic to replace a damaged body on my OG Tamiya Bruiser. So when the new K5 Blazer body came out I was motivated to build the 2012 Bruiser kit and put a K5 body on it.

Here's the completed truck fresh from my build table. This was my first paint job using lacquer paints (Dupli-Color) so it was painted outside for safety reasons and in some cases didn't get enough paint on the part to achieve a smooth finish. It's not my best work but it will do.

Left side view. I was going to make this a two tone vehicle but liked the simpler look so I didn't put the white accent on it. May add the two tone appearance during a future overhaul.

A Tamiya driver figure was added. I moved the dash board up to achieve better height alignment with the hood.

Closer look at the cab. I went with a four speed on the floor rather than an automatic shift.

Left rear looking forward. I added LED lights but didn't hook up the backup lights yet.

Rear view. The tailgate has a piece of aluminum plate on it. The swing up rear window was left off as the rear posts are used to secure the body and the window didn't open high enough to get your fingers in there. I took the option for a roll up window that is currently rolled down into the tailgate. A little rubber molding was added around the shell for the window when it's up. Dual exhaust pipes were also added.

Area behind rear seat. Vehicle is loaded for a weekend fishing trip to a remote lake. Four wheel drive required.

Right rear view looking forward.

Right side view. I had to trim a little off the body to prevent tire rubbing during full steering angles and suspension travel. These Mickey Thompson tires work great in all conditions but mud. In mud be sure you got your winch, shovel, and/or traction boards available.

Right view inside truck cab. Looks like I need a better flesh color paint.

Top removed. Had to include man's best friend aboard. The rear seat is two TF2 bench seats cut up to eliminate the "hump".

Right rear view looking forward without the top on.

I added a Zeon winch to the build as I get stuck a lot and don't always have another buddy around to pull me out.

Side view showing winch area. The bumper was extended out and slotted where the license plate goes to allow the winch cable to pass thorough it. A lockable tool box and an open box was added to support winching items.

My next reply will include pictures under the body.
    Attached Files
  • RCtrucknut
    • Jul 2015

Second reply.

Here's a look under the body from the front to back. I chose to eliminate the large black "electronic box" and make some custom parts for the battery tray, steering servo, transmission servo, and ESC/winch controller. A 55T motor was installed.

A chassis view from the back looking forward. That receiver box is stuffed! I added a small 3 inch extension to the Tamiya plug coming from the ESC (not shown here). The extension allows the battery plug and ESC plug to be connected without removing the body. I can also directly charge the battery while it remains installed. Of course, if you want to replace the battery then the body must come off.

Close up of the custom front body mount. This view also shows the steering servo mounted (front two mounting holes) next to the motor. There is no interference between the motor and steering servo.

The two posts extending from the front bumper are captured in the custom front body mount as shown here (see red circle). The rear of the body is anchored using the provided Blazer bed holes and the standard vertical body posts contained in the Bruiser kit. The body is pulled back by the rear body posts and the use of O-rings under the retention pins keep the body tight.

Close up showing the steering servo modification from below. There's a custom cross member added to secure the steering servo using the rear two mounting holes. Thus, the steering servo is secured in place using all four mounting holes. Nice tight steering control.

The battery tray is held in place with a custom plate that includes a mount for the transmission shift servo.

This view shows a custom plate that holds the winch controller shown mounted on the bottom. The ESC is mounted on top of this plate. The transmission servo can also be seen here attached to the battery mounting plate.

The ESC and TF2 radio box/gas tank are shown here. An EPA module was added for proper positioning of the transmission servo to get all three gears. A HeyOK RC switch was also added for the LEDs.

My next reply will show the vehicle making a trail run.
    Attached Files

Comment

• RCtrucknut
      • Jul 2015

Here are some pictures of the truck in action. I checked out three of my favorite creek spots today but each of them was a raging river with swollen banks from all the rain we got. So, I had to settle on a run in my front yard rock garden.

In scale terms my rock garden is a boulder garden.

Heading over the main garden area.

These tires have great traction.

The pressure in these tires is perfect for the vehicle weight.

Suspension is good for a kit right out of the box. I should indicate that I only used two leaf springs per side (standard is three).

Got up wihout spinning a tire.

Forging a new path while heading back to the RC garage.

Here's the Tamiya Bruiser (K5 Blazer Body) next to the Tamiya Brusier (Toyota Body). The K5 Blazer has a much wider body than the Toyota pickup body and looks better as the tires don't stick out as much and the size of the tire fit the larger body better.

Thanks for looking. Hope this helps anyone thinking about mounting a K5 Blazer body to their Tamiya Bruiser chassis.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rocpede
        • Jan 2016

That's a really cool looking K5 bruiser.. Thanks for sharing it with us..

Sent from my 2500HD

Comment

Working...
        X