• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1BadAtomicToy
    Team Driver
    • Oct 2009

RC4WD's NEW TF2 LWB

So I was lucky enough to obtain one of these LWB TF2s that have been released by RC4WD, everyone knows I love Toyotas so when ever there is a new model being release I have to jump on it. I have a pretty similar modded tf2 into a 4 door short bed truck that I picked up off RCC some time back but I have always wanted to complete my own so here it is...

As you can see there are quite a few goodies in front of it, I plan to chop the hood and hinge it so a GCM 22r 3d printed engine kit is there to go a long with the R4 from RC4WD. I also scooped up some RC4WD metal Marlin Crawler bumpers, U bolt kit, scale driver etc

got cracking on the build Saturday morning

I was little concerned with the scale drive line set up since its technically for the TF2's regular wheel base size but it all worked out quite perfect. You aren't able to use the hanger bearing but its not really necessary at all.

I tossed the body on to get an idea of how my wheel base was looking. I used Chino63's military wrapped springs in the rear and regualar 3 leaf chinos in the front. Being that chino leafs are flatter and longer it was going to require some adjustments, they were already planned but just so people have a heads up if they decide to use the Chino leafs

So with that said, I opted for some OG Bruiser perches in the front, and drill the frame out and used some 2/3 battery bars as shackles. This puts the suspension accurate to the real Toyotas and allows the use of the chino leafs without problems while also pushing the axle ever so slightly forward (just like everyone does on the 1:1s)

The Bruiser perch mod is really easy to do, you simply cut the back mounting hole spot off and its ready to bolt right up. You can also use the stock shackles if you want on the back side, I just like the battery bars because there gold and slimmer in shape (remind me of TG ones).

out back I opted for some for some Bruiser suspension parts to correct my shackle angle and get my ride height correct

With these mods the stance is now on point

More to come! Still trying to decide on a color, think I have it narrowed to white or green.

I am also considering a bed camper, something I have never done that i think could be a fun project to take on

-Mike
    RC4WD Team Driver
  • udito
    • Dec 2008

looks really great
    http://<a href="http://s705.photobuc...er.jpg</a></a>Greetings Udo

Sorry for english it is horrible

Comment

• 2003EDGE
      • Nov 2014

Looking good Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 1BadAtomicToy
        Team Driver
        • Oct 2009

Thanks Fellas

Hoods off... tail gate is 94.7% chopped...

More tonight
        RC4WD Team Driver

Comment

• 1BadAtomicToy
          Team Driver
          • Oct 2009

So I didnt stay late at work yesterday, I came home and wanted to work on the TF2 some. I had ordered a bed a kit from n00b earlier in the day but then I remembered I had one. So I finished up cutting up the bed and in preparation for the kit only to find I was missing the the front of the bed wall

Sooooo since I couldnt keep plugging away at the bed I decided to start detailing the GCM 22R, I probably shoulda hit with some filler primer but overall I am happy with the results so far. I still gotta hit the block with some flat black and the pan with gloss black but the details are coming a long. I went with the red valve cover to give it the LC Engineering look

its hard to tell but I actually used 2 different colors to differentiate the intake manifold from the T stat housing

More to follow
          RC4WD Team Driver

Comment

• 1BadAtomicToy
            Team Driver
            • Oct 2009

Alright up date time...Been slowly working on this, I have been putting in a lot of hours at work saving for my wedding next year so its hard to get anything done during the week. I lost on last weekend because I was drag racing the chevelle...anywayssssss here is the latest

Got my n00b bed kit mostly installed

I reinforced the underside last night with some .060 down the center to keep it from getting wavy or distorted. still have a spot or 2 underneath to brace up to add some more structure then ill finally glue the wells down. Really Rich offers these as they are a gigantic time saver and really look the part. As you can see I opted for no tail gate, that is because I am 99.9% sure I am going to take on the bed camper ::2thumbs

A while back I bought a meshed paper sorter thing from Walmart, it looked just like the mesh screening they give you on the Gelande II Cruiser so chopped up the grill in preparation to install the mush

Then I decided to cheat at toy trucks...the new dash is done so nicely I didn't have the heard to chop it up and make it RHD. I remember cruising through shape ways and seeing this RHD dash...it doesn't disappoint and once painted up and detailed it will really look the part. Cool feature that Im not sure ill be able to use is that its servo ready for making the steering wheel turn and features a long shank on the steering wheel to make it all work

my main focus on this build is gonna be a gnarly engine bay, best part is, I have the 1:1 sitting outside to reference and nail down all the details. I loaded up the pics and Im gonna post them here in case anyone else needs reference photos, I know a few guys hacked the hoods off

definitely wanna nail down under hood details. thats going to be this weekends task along with getting it hinged

More to come!
            RC4WD Team Driver

Comment

• Delux
              • Jul 2009

Love it cobba! Proper hand drive and all!
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps50b031d9.jpg

Comment

• SEYCHELLES
                Team Driver
                • Mar 2012

nice mod Mike...
                sigpic

Comment

• 1BadAtomicToy
                  Team Driver
                  • Oct 2009

Had training the last week and the week before in the big apple, it was 3:45am rise and travel starts and by the time I got back home I was cooked...needless to say there wasnt much toy truck building happening. I did however get cracking this past weekend

quick mock up the brake master/booster and wiper motor. I had to ditch the gelande II hoops for the stock hoops as they would hit the master. I stuck them on n00bs white 85 cwarler instead

and because its all about the small details, cant just have the grill "floating" on place

notched the grill, and attached the MThead emblem to some spare black styrene and glued it in place

I got a package in the mail last night from KrawlerKoncepts, I reached out to Michelle for some custom SR5 stripes. She did a good job matching up the gold to the wheels and they look the part

You may also notice I got the bed hooks in, and added the side molding as well

its hard to photograph the actual color the stripes, but they do match up well in person

I was really excited about the plates I went with but when started thinking about the direction of the build I decided to kinda make a theme out of it.

Soooo I decided to hit up Freq for some custom logos

How I am trying to decide how to play the rest out, definitely want to do the bed camper, just deciding if I want to put a light bar on the truck or on the camper...

let me know your guys thoughts
                  RC4WD Team Driver

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2005

Can't wait to see the FreqE 4 door.

Comment

• 1BadAtomicToy
                      Team Driver
                      • Oct 2009

working on the radiator details, I used an Axial terra buggy radiator that I chopped up and added the top part of the radiator to it. I then made up the hoses and used some heat shrink tubing to cover them and look the part. I then chopped some styrene tubing and made scale clamps.

RC4WD Team Driver

Comment

• 2003EDGE
                        • Nov 2014

How are you liking the steering setup? I like how it frees up room for a proper core support etc. But didn't know if you had seen any issues out of the steering rod flexing etc.

Comment

• repkyle
                          • Apr 2017

Would you mind telling me what you used for the steering bell crank looking thing?
                          Thank you.

Comment

• 1BadAtomicToy
                            Team Driver
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by repkyle View Post
                            Would you mind telling me what you used for the steering bell crank looking thing?
                            Thank you.
                            its a tamiya bruiser aluminum bell crank, I got mine from ebay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Hot Racing Tamiya Bruiser 4x4 Aluminum Bearing Steering Kit TBR4808 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Sometimes driving toy trucks is more then building them...sometimes... I really need to get in gear and finish the interior and engine bay. I was pleasantly surprised as to how well my steering set up actually worked out, so that made me happy

DEC was running a joint anti jeep flexing task force with the Suffolk Parks Rangers...nabbed some jeep kid flexing

BBBBBuuuusted

because cwarler

RC4WD Team Driver

Comment

• 1BadAtomicToy
                              Team Driver
                              • Oct 2009

So Ultimate Scale Truck Expo is right around the corner and the mad dash to finish this rig is upon me. Ive spent several hours on the wiring for all the lighting and been trying to wrap up the engine bay. With some assistance from Tim Bloore (AKA VS_Customs) I have some accurate scale washer/coolant jugs coming my way. They are 3d printed in clear and the best part is you a can actually fill them up with a liquid! some water with a drop of food coloring and its going to look like there is actual washer fluid and coolant in them. Tim did a great job replicating them based off the pics of my 1:1 83 Hilux.

I finished up my snorkel system as well, the air box lid is removable for servicing the filter, completely unnecessary but I think its the details like that which matter most. Battery is in courtesy of Pro-Line Racing with a scratch built hold down and tray. I still need to add a coil pack, which on the truck from the factory mounts to inner well so I am struggling with that. I also want to add the heater core lines as well, another struggle. Its difficult to nail down some details while making the body removable. You'll also notice the addition of the CChand roof rack with lights, found it very fitting for the build.

I decided to take the truck outside for some shots, using the iPhone portrait mode. the pics came out sweet. You'll notice a swapped the rear bumper for an RC4WD WARN rear bumper that I drilled out for a hitch system so I can tow thew new MOAB trailer I scooped from RC4WD, I also was lucky enough to win one of these from SBG too! Really stoked about that as these things are super nice and realistic.

Another cool thing is I am officially a guest speaker for the Ultimate Scale Truck Expo, which I am very honored and humbled to be ask to do so. So if there wasnt enough reason already to attend USTE now you can listen to me rant about doll house trucks :laughing:

washer jug.jpgTF2 LWB engine.jpgtf2 lwb 3.jpgTF2 lwb 1.jpgtf2 LWB 4.jpgTF2 LWB 5.jpg
                              RC4WD Team Driver

Comment

Working...
                              X