Armaggedon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plan B

Default plan B

This thread will me mostly to get you caught up to current day.

This rig was my last second choice for my Class 1 rig for 2016, hence the name plan B.
    <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

So, here's my plan B for 2016 Class 1...

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    [big]plan B

noun
    1. a strategy or plan to be implemented if the original one proves impracticable or unsuccessful.[/big]
    I think too much. Thus, I have been thinking about the 2016 Championship Series and the rigs I would choose to comp with. TenderFoot is a great Class 1 rig, and it will be finished, but I felt like the drivability of a rig outweighed the scaleness for what was planned in 2016. So, here I am.

I now have a Dingo kit that I will build to be my Class 1 rig. I've been down this road before with B-I-N-G-O, but those were different times for team SRC. While I am fully aware that a Dingo will not do what most other rigs will, it will do great for a Class 1. Here's why...

Price. $250 for a kit plus any discounts from your vendor of choice. I chose rpphobby.com, and they hooked me up with a bunch of decals (as seen in the photo). Great prices and fast shipping. I added a couple of low cost upgrades to get the rig to my minimum standard for an SCX-10 - RRP tranny gears & underdrive rear gears. I also added a cheap Savox waterproof servo and aluminum servo horn. This servo has more torque than the Hitec 645 I ran in Honcho Verde for years.

Meets Class 1 rig requirements. Full width bumpers and fender flares along with the included windshield gets it to Class 1 standards. Plus it has cage points and interior points.

Weight. This rig can be a lightweight and still perform. B-I-N-G-O was less than seven pounds with battery. I would like to get this rig below six pounds.

Performance. It's an SCX-10, not much more to say there.

Goals: keep the build simple (cheap and easy), use very few aftermarket parts (use what's in my parts bin), and get it under six pounds, and win at least one event.

I got the rig delivered yesterday. I have about nine days to get it finished for Event #1. I will try to update progress nightly.

This rig was the first brand new rig I have purchased since the original - Honcho Verde. All my other rigs have been second hand, or built with second hand purchased parts.

Here's the factory seals I haven't got to break since 2010.

I'm hearing there are fewer and fewer Axial kits available due to Axial's redirection. Here's to this rig becoming a classic. :-bd
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day one...

We have a chassis ready for transmission and axles. I also assembled the RRP main transmission gear so the threadlock could dry overnight.

Next up is the greasy stuff... axles and transmission.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day two. Not much to show. I didn't do the greasy stuff. I'll tackle those items tomorrow. I went ahead and installed all the stock items on the chassis per the directions - RX box, battery tray, and sliders. Then, I built the shocks. And, I detailed the front hubs with a little yellow paint.

I had a little scare with those small E-clips that holds the shock piston in place. I opened the bag and found that I was missing one. I searched for a while in the opened bags, on the work table and the floor. I searched for a spare hardware bag in the kit, but didn't find an extra E-clip. Then, I remembered I had some extra things from the kit I built Honcho Verde from... Bam! I had one in the spare hardware bag. That saved a TON of headache and frustration of trying to get one in time to build the shocks before the first Monkey Series event.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day three...

Got the transmission and axles built and installed those on the chassis. We now have a roller. I then installed the electronics (Holmes Hobbies Waterproofed BR-XL, RC4WD 27t sealed can motor, FlySky RX, Castle Creations 10A BEC), and started waterproofing the BEC (it will need another shot of liquid tape tomorrow). I also installed the lights in the front & rear bumpers (-2 functional item points).

I will be starting off the series with the 1.55 Pit Bull Growlers stretched over the stock non-beadlock wheels. I'll add some weight to the front wheels when I get the bracelets made.

Items on the list tomorrow: driveshafts, afternoon nap, tidy up the wiring, and start trimming and prepping the body for paint.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day four...

Not anything photo worthy. Got the electronics sorted out - programmed ESC and BEC; worked on organizing the wiring mess; added a shock tower brace between the front shock towers; built and installed the WB8 driveshafts; started sorting the winch mounting to the front bumper (marked the holes to drill).

Tomorrow after work will be mostly focused on prepping the body for painting on Tuesday. If I get the body prepped with time to spare, I'll install the winch and front axle panhard mount (I may need to flip the servo too).

Plan is to lay down some color Tuesday evening, and Wednesday, if needed. That gives me Thursday and Friday to fine tune and tie up any loose ends.

Fun times. :-bd
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day five...

Spent all evening installing a Hand Bros axle bracket for the front 3-link & panhard bar. The actual bracket didn't take long to install; it was the endless adjustments to the panhard bar, upper link, and servo arm placement that ate up the time.

Oh, I did add lift/lowering brackets to the front shock towers to let the shocks lean back some instead of being straight up. I had done the same to the rear a few days ago.

So, it does go forward and backward and left and right; so, that's a good thing.

I'll make final adjustments to the links once the body is in place and the wheelbase is fine-tuned.

The body (cutting and painting) is the remaining large task. Tomorrow evening should be body trimming and prep. And, hopefully get the winch mounted.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day six...

Nothing much to report other than the body is trimmed, washed, and will be air drying overnight. I'd take a photo, but it would be hard to see the clear body.

Hopefully, I can report tomorrow evening that the body is painted. Then, on to decals and installing the fender flares and cage. It will come down to the wire...three more nights to go...lots of things still on the list to complete. ek
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day seven...

Body is painted. This body is the first lexan body I have painted that was brand new (not a bad job for the first one, but not perfect). I've backed factory painted bodies with black paint before, or bought bodies already painted, or had someone paint them. This process just confirms why I like to use factory painted bodies - it's way easier.

I'll post a pic when it has all the decals and cage and fender flares on it. No need looking at something half finished. B-)
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day eight...

Got the cage and fender flares on the body along with the stock decals. I mounted the windshield (which is required for Class 1). Mounted the RC4WD 1/10 Warn 9.5cti Winch on the bumper. It took a minute to adjust the body height. I had to do some heavy trimming on the rear to clear the bumper and light strings with the body sitting low. Here is a photo of how it sits now.

I chose Indy Silver as a throw back to the RTR Dingos and to match jUST kAUSE, it's comp-mate. lol Oh, and it was one of two colors I had in stock.

One more night to finish this rig and prep for the comp. "Kit to comp" in nine days; probably my fastest build.

The list is still quite long. I'll need to prioritize in case something has to wait...
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

End of build-day nine...

Is it finished? Are they ever really finished?

plan B is ready to spank some monkey... lmao

No pic tonight. You will have to come to Lamar Hill to see what the "finished" product looks like. :-bd
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Well, I got to do a little testing with this rig on Saturday. Everything seemed to work as expected. It may end up in a love/hate relationship like the last Dingo experiment (B-I-N-G-O), but that will be fun nonetheless.

I was rather impressed with the 1.55 Pit Pull Growlers. They seemed to do fine with the sandy mud on the rocks. I see no need to change tires for now. I will add weight to the wheels though. I think extra weight in the wheels would have helped prevent some roll-overs. The roll-overs only costed me one self-recovery penalty, but were bothersome all the same. No other complaints, really. The wideness of the bumpers, fender flares and body are noticeable. I contribute one gate penalty to that fact.

I'll give it a once-over later this week. A quick glance last night didn't turn-up any major concerns.

Here's a photo of plan B in action...

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Well, did a little weight tuning since round #1.

I took the rig by the Post Office to get an official weight. Rig is ready to run - battery, winch controller, all scale items.

So, I met my goal of being six pounds or lighter. That allowed me to add some weight to the wheels. I noticed quite a bit of mud caked on the tires which was included in the weight at the Post Office. So, I weighted the tires before throwing them in the washing machine.

And then, after a good washing.

Removing the mud gave me some wiggle room on adding the weight I wanted to the front wheels.

I used Jerrod74's bracelet method to add 2.75oz to each front wheel.

While tuning, I decided to use lighter foams in the front wheels to keep the overall weight in check. It's not much, but every gram helps.

The foam set on the right is the stock 1.55 Pit Bull Growler foams. The ones on the left are some single stage I had in my spare parts box.

So, this gets us to the difference in front and rear wheel weight.

Finally, it was back to the Post Office to get the new weight.

That leaves me a little room for further tuning to keep the sub-six pound objective.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Did some competing last Saturday with ole plan B. It did most everything that was asked. It spent some time on it's roof near the water. It was a pretty day, but there was no time for that.

I am having issues with the width of the body and specifically the fender flares. 75% of the gates I hit was due to a fender flare touching them. I can modify them by cutting some width off, but I'm not sure I want to get into modifying this rig too much. (I need to use that time to finish TenderFoot.) Otherwise, this rig performs great for the short wheelbase.

Here's a photo from the comp;

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

I made a couple of changes since last comp. After seeing some limitations, I changed two things: removed the flares and modified the sliders.

I simply removed the fender flares and used another set of the plastic things that go on the inside of the body that the flares screw into for the outer lip of the wheel opening. Once those were screwed on, I took a Dremel with a sanding cylinder and removed the excess body that was left showing below the plastic things.

For the sliders, I took the Dremel with a cutting disk and removed the outer part of the slider leaving only the large bar running the length of the sliders. I then installed them upside down from the stock instructions. This installation allowed them to be behind the body essentially making the rig narrower. (I did the same thing to shapeshifter.)

Also, I stuck on some large website decals so it matches it's Class 2 comp brother - jUSTkAUSE. Gotta represent!

Ready for round 3.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Well, I got a new decal this past weekend, a prize for completing the last goal of this build - to win at least one event. (Check.)

The rig did great. I continue to be impressed with the 1.55 Pit Bull Growlers. I didn't miss the fender flares and sliders reaching out touching gates either. I did a quick once-over and everything seemed to be good to go for next month. Now the question is do I continue to comp with this rig, or complete the other Class 1 on the table?

Here's a photo I snapped at the end of the course...

Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Not a lot to update on, other than to add a photo from my recent trip to Disney, Oklahoma.

Once I got settled down on my first course of the weekend, things were great. My nerves have to settle because of all the people watching and the judge and the timer, etc. So, my first course was the worst for me. The other two courses were fine. The rig did what it should have - no issues. If I had to say I had an issue with something, it would be the turning radius. That (the lack of steering) got me a few reverse penalties in some tight spots. We all know how to correct that (different c-hubs, knuckles, axles shafts), but that's not what this build was about. It still managed a fourth place finish (3rd was one point better). Having only driven this rig a total of five times (in five events), it has finished 4th twice, 3rd twice, and 1st once. So far, I'm happy with how it's performed.

Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Worked a little on this rig over the weekend past. I had planned on changing this rig up some and going a different route, but after texting with a friend, I decided to wait.

Jerrod74 and I will be attending the RECON G6 in Belleview, Florida on October 1st; so, I prepped this rig for that type of course.

Not many changes were needed. Even though I have only ran this rig in SORRCA style comps, I think this rig can handle the rigors of a G6. I wanted to change out the plastic rear upper links for some aluminum ones. I didn't do this upgrade during the initial build because of the goal of being six pounds or less. Well, since the final weigh-in, I have removed the fenders and trimmed the sliders. That netted enough weight savings to do the upgrade.

After installing the aluminum links and getting it RTR (battery, winch controller, pul-pal), it still maintains the goal of being less than six pounds.

In the first photo, you may notice a slight gap in the driveshaft/coupler connection. I noticed it as I was finishing up the upper link install. Looked like the screw that goes into the coupler through the driveshaft was not seated properly. I guess I thought the tightness meant it was properly tight, but that was not the case. So, it has ran that way for all the comps. I fixed it with some blue thread lock and a good, proper tightening of the screw.

As far as the G6 goes, this rig may be at a disadvantage simply on tire size alone because many folks run the largest tire allowed by the rules. This rig has 1.55 Pit Bull Growlers. I still think it will do just fine.

There are a few "not mandatory, but highly recommended" scale items that will need to be secured, but we have a plan for those items.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Stole some time last night to secure the "recommended" scale items for the Florida G6 this weekend.

I had started the process with some old, clear E-6000. I was interrupted by a battery situation. When I came back to the task at hand, I realized the clear E-6000 was a little to old to use. I broke out some black and finished the job. It was "recommended" that we have a book titled "RECON G6 5 Years of Fun", toilet paper, pumpkins, and costumes for the driver & passenger.

I figure my driver & passenger are dressed like Star Trek folks; so, that will be their costumes.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Finally got around to doing a once-over in preparation for the G6 this weekend. Everything looked fine. I found one driveshaft pin slightly loose. but some blue thread locker should take care of that. Everything worked - servo, motor, ESC, winch - like it should. I tried to fit two batteries so I could run them in parallel and save on battery changes, but that was a no-go. Battery tray was too tight for two batteries. I'll run some 2600mAh lipos; so, I should only use two or three batteries for the day stage.

I added some decals because we all know those help the rig do better.

Looking forward to the trip and adventure.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers