Gelande 18th
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plan B

Alrighty, the RECON G6 Florida is in the books. All three day stages and the night stage are complete. It was a little warm. No. It was hot. The courses were great. Challenging but doable. I finished as the tiny truck (1.55) driver of the day. I hit three gates out of 186. Not a bad day.

<>< | MEAN STREAK | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | plan B | RAFFLE-1 | pROCKtor

Here's a video of "plan B" crawling the courses at the RC4WD Haunted Hollows RECON G6 in Belleview, Florida.

Click here to watch in new window.

Click here to watch on YouTube.

I had this rig on the desk to clean off some of the Central Florida sand it collected during it's last outing (in October) and found a few things that needed attention.

First was the rear driveshaft. It had twisted slightly. That was a simple fix - swap out the shaft.

I had taken the rear axle out of the rig to clean off the sand when I noticed the gear mesh felt gritty. I disassembled the rear axle and found no issues. I cleaned everything up and applied new grease and buttoned it back up. The gear mesh still feels gritty. I couldn't remedy the situation. It is installed per the directions with the gasket. It seems an additional gasket would move the ring gear over enough to smooth it out. The axles turn fine with no binding; they just aren't butter-smooth. Anyway, it's back in the rig ready to go again.

Here are all the parts awaiting final cleaning and fresh grease.

Most things are making that gritty sound when moving them around since the Florida trip. The driveshafts, for one, will need lubed. Even when putting the wheels on, I hear that sandy, grinding noise. That Central Florida powder sand is everywhere! I hope to have all the mechanical bits cleaned and lubed appropriately before next week.

I need to trim and prep the new body for paint, also.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

I've been working on the body the last few nights - prep and paint. I went with red, backed with white, backed with black, with some black interior bits, hood bump and door hinges.

Here are some photos of the painting process. It's been drying overnight, and tonight I plan to finish with the cage, decals, and scale accessories.

While prepping the body, I realized the rear body posts needed some bracing. So, I added a brace. It added some weight, but I plan to lose a couple grams in other places.

Once the body is finished, this rig should be ready for the trip to RRW-TN this weekend.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

I have the body ready to roll. Paint is done, decals are on, driver is... faux driving. I still want to add some E-6000 to where the cage screws to the body to help lessen the cage from pushing through the body. That is on tonight's list.

Here is the fresh body ready for details...

Here is what it looks like trail-ready...

I mounted the light bar to go for a different look - a desert offroad race truck type look (if it proves to be a nuisance, it will be removed). I made a new red tow rope and wrapped that around a spare wheel on the back. I used a racing driver from Tamiya instead of an action figure. No need for points in G6 competition. No windshield. No fender flares. No scale accessories. I'll add the appropriate ones for the RECON G6 in April, but this weekend's G6 only mandates a tow strap.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

Did some work this past Saturday at the 1st Annual Krawlfest in the Smokies - 400 gates of Smoky Mountain terrain.

The rig did great and had no noticeable issues. Only carnage that I am aware of is a few small cracks in the body around where the cage bolts. That was due to being wedged between a rock and a hard place, and pushing out of it. I'm glad I reinforced those areas because the cage might have pushed through the body. It's all good though. I'll do a good once-over sometime this week.

I managed to come home with some tools and miscellaneous parts.

I also won some Pit Bull 2.2 Foams in the raffle/door prize drawing.

After it was all said and done, it was a good trip. I had fun out on the trails with my friends.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

Well, we all like to tinker, and I for one can't just leave things the same. I like to do little things to improve some aspect of the rig - performance, durability, aesthetics.

So, last evening, I started to tinker with the spare tire mount. I removed it to change the way I had the spare wheel mounted. While changing the hardware, I realized how much better the rig looked sans the spare tire mount. I remembered running another Dingo years back without the spare tire mount (and windshield, for that matter). I liked the way it looked; so, I left it off. I added a couple of rod ends to act as a hooking point for bungees and what-not.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

Small little update...

I was offered a good deal on some VP Method 101 wheels this weekend, and I chose to purchase them, really because of the color combo. They will work with this rig and potentially, MEAN STREAK.

I have been chomping at the bit to try the Pit Bull PBX-A/T in Alien Compound. So, I mounted them to see what they looked like on the rig.

I thought the upcoming RC4WD “Tuckaleechee Trail” RECON G6 at RRW-TN would be a good way to try these tires and see what all the fuss is about. I've heard great things from folks that have used these tires, and I figured I needed to try them in order to properly compare them to the 1.55 Growlers in Komp Compound that I have been using, and the new RC4WD 1.9 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in the new X2 Sł Compound I'll be running on TenderFoot. I'd run the Duratracs on this rig, but they are too short to look proper on this rig.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

Updated wheels and body look great, simple works

Congrats on the hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by 25aniv View Post
    Updated wheels and body look great, simple works

Congrats on the hardware!
    Thanks!

Alrighty... I have (I think) this rig ready for the RECON G6 this coming weekend.

I have the new PBX-A/T tires all mounted on the (new to me) VP wheels. I changed the foams in the front tires to a softer foam so I could get some weights in there. The foams that came with the tires simply would not give and I don't want to start trimming because this wheel/tire combo isn't permanent on this rig. I plan to switch back tot he 1.55 growlers on the Axial plastic wheels once back from the RECON G6. The front tires are going to roll more while on side inclines than the rears with the stiffer foams, but I hope the softer foams in the front allows for better traction on inclines and obstacles. We will see this weekend...

I compared the difference in the weight of the wheel/tire combos and found them not too far off from each other - 3.6 oz more for the VP wheels with stick-on weights and PBX-A/T tires.

I also got the mandatory scale items and the "Not mandatory, but highly recommended" items secured on the rig last weekend. The one item that remains is the cowbell on the rear bumper for Sunday's events. A friend of mine that is attending the event has an extra bell that I will secure to the bumper Saturday evening. I have one from a few years ago, but it's a little large to dangle off the rear bumper.

The large book is my scale item from another hobby, job, or interest. That gets me a chance in the "It's a Lifestyle" raffle.

After all the stuff was secured, I took the weight of the rig to see if I had broken the six pound mark. With the battery that I typically run in this rig (2600mAh), the rig moved north of my goal weight of six pounds. However, I am able to run a smaller (2200mAh) and get it back to "fighting weight".

I may still use the 2600mAh batteries during the RECON G6, but I wanted to know that I maintained my goal weight of six pounds, or less.

I was able to complete all but seven of the 400 gates at the 1st Annual Krawlfest in the Smokies last month on one RC4WD 2600mAh battery.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

I went back to RRW Krawlzone TN this past weekend to do some work at the RC4WD “Tuckaleechee Trail” RECON G6.

There were four courses; Holmes Hobbies Course = 50 gates, Fast Eddy Bearings Course = 50 gates, Pit Bull Course = 100 gates, and OnetoomanyRCs = 100 gates. That's 300 gates of fun times. My favorite was the Pit Bull Course because it was set-up in the creek for most of the 100 gates.

I managed to snag a new-to-me tea pot for my work, and also got to bring home a large box of pre-assembled parts (see RAFFLE-1).

One of my focuses was to test the Pit Bull PBX-A/T tires so I can compare them to some other tires in my possession. Overall, they were great. They have surprising grip, even in mud and slick stuff. I tried a few hard lines to check the traction and they did well. Once spot that was a pointed rock that was muddy and slick posed some trouble, but with a lucky hop the obstacle was cleared. I think they do as well as the 1.55 Growlers. I'd add that they held better on side-hills than the Growlers did last month. One negative, as it pertains to this rig, is the size relative to the body. I think the width and height of the 1.55 Growlers fit this body better. They do look good on builds with the China JK body. I saw a few of those and the look was spot on. So, test was successful.

I haven't done anything as far as surveying damage or issues. I didn't notice any issues other than a wobbly right rear tire, but that was probably foam misalignment. I'll do a once-over and see what I find. I'll put the other wheel/tires back on it, too.

Here is a memento of the trip:

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom

Small little update...

I used one of the ScalerFab certificates I won at our January comp to order a roof rack.

Simple design that works to gain a couple of scale points. I used small zip-ties to secure it to the cage.