RTR0030
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mean Streak

Default Mean Streak

This thread will take a trip back to 2015 when I first got this rig, and get us caught-up to the present.

The following posts are copied from a thread on my local club's site.
    <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

[SIZE=3]June 24, 2015

I recently took delivery of a new-to-me rig from gdb85 (over on RCC). He had this rig listed on RCC, and after patiently waiting and a couple of private messages, it was on it's way to me. This is the second rig I have purchased from Bob (got Old Skool from him late last fall). He has cool rigs, uses good parts, and take good care of them.

I've done a few things since I opened the box last Saturday. I'll go over those later in the thread. I wanted to get MEAN STREAK introduced before boring you with build thread verbiage.

So, here are some pics of the un-boxing, and a few of it fresh out of the box. At the end, there is a pic of it's first trip with me to the Post Office.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-10-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

June 26, 2015

Here are a few more pics to get caught up to current status.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-10-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

June 26, 2015

I completed a few task on the rig.

I outboarded the rear shocks (as I do in all my Axial rigs) for some added stability. Just a longer screw and a spacer (I use old plastic link balls), then you mount the bottom shock link on the outside of the axle shock/link mount.

I, also, added an Axial 60mm body post between both the front and rear sock mounts for added rigidity, and to keep the shocks more stable up top.

And of course, I added some decals.

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

July 2, 2015

I got MEAN STREAK running last night. (It was ready to run when I got it, but, you know, I had to do things to it.)

I had an issue with the way the diff covers fit the axle housing. The bearing caps were preventing a good, secure seating of the covers. I used the dremel and a small sanding disc to remove some material from inside the covers. After I got the covers to fit nice and tight, I packed the diffs with some Mobil 1 red synthetic grease.

Also, I waterproofed the BEC with some liquid electrical tape and a baby medicine syringe. After that dried overnight, I placed the electronics where I wanted them, and then programmed the ESC & BEC. Well, it was more of a verification on the BEC - just to check the voltage and firmware. I loaded the same throttle & brake curve that I use on OLDSK00L to the BR-XL, calibrated the ESC with the RX, and set the fail-safe.

I plugged a battery in and ran it around the HQ for a bit. Soon, I realized the front driveshaft wasn't sequenced and caused some wobble in the drivetrain. I removed the lower section and lined-up the set-pins at each end. That fixed that.

Since receiving this rig, I have had some concerns about the servo being on the chassis and running a 4-link up front. After a few passes through the HQ, I saw no issues with binding or bump-steer. That eased some concerns for me.

Next step: get the tires dirty and see how it does on some rocks.
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

July 9, 2015

I got a chance, on the 3rd, to do some testing on real rocks. I took a little trip to Leoma and visited the Adventure Off-road hobby shop, and played on the indoor course for about an hour.

The course was what I expected, a few big rocks piled in the floor with more smaller rocks strewn around them. There was a wooden climb/obstacle, too. It wasn't big; so, an hour was enough.

But, I did get to see how the rig worked. I was please with everything. Balance seemed good. Weight seemed good. I'll do some shock tuning, just because I like to do that sort of thing.

Here's a poser shot on one of the big rocks...

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

August 3, 2015

I got to spend some time going over MEAN STREAK. It has sat on the bench in my garage since Rocks & Boggers.

I did a once-over to check for loose screws, nuts, and what-not. I found the Rogue Element hubs loose on the driver's side (both front and rear). Why is it so hard to keep nice looking hubs tight? I will have to ponder what to do with this issue. I tried blue threadloc, but apparently that didn't work. Also, I found the front upper link chassis-side screws/nuts loose for some reason. I may have left them loose? Not sure about that. A few other screws were slightly loose, but not really bad for the first real run in which I have driven it hard.

One thing I noticed at Rock & Boggers was the front shock springs were too stiff. I changed the springs and stiffened them up some after the first shake-down run, but I got them too stiff. When going up / over an obstacle, the chassis would lift too soon not allowing proper articulation of the axle. I changed the upper springs on the front shocks to some 80mm King shock springs with a softer rate than the stock Pro-line Scaler bottom springs that I was using on top. Now the front rides on Axial SCX-10 stock bottom springs (on the bottom) with the white tuning spring for 80mm King shocks on the top with no preload. We will see how this set-up does the next go-round.
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

September 27, 2015

It's been a minute since an update...

A few things have changed:
    • Axles... now sporting Curries
    • Sulu talked Pike into being the navigator
    • Added rear tire cover (you may have seen it)
    • Rear tires are now vented

Here is a pic of the front axle. You know how Curries look.

Here's a couple of pics of Pike in the seat waiting on an adventure. While I had the seat out, I did a proper install on the seat-belts to hold Pike in the seat. I also removed Sulu and did the same thing.

Here's a pic of the tire cover after install. (Someone wanted the cover more that I did; so, currently the cover is not there. Another will be ordered soon.)

No pic of the holes in the rear tires. You can imagine what those might look like. I cut two (to match the style used on the fronts) holes in each tire in the center tread area.

I like the Curries. They have good ground clearance. The "Jock Strap" gets hung up some, but overall there is more clearance with these axles. I haven't notice huge improvements in the venting of the rear tires except maybe less bounce while spinning on an obstacle.

I have discovered that we (as a club) drive our rigs hard and beat on them quit a bit. This body takes a beating, and has issues in the rear area around the spare tire. After the Barfield run, I had to repair one side from where it had broken. The repair held for the most part at PPD, but it needs some attention. I'll have to conjure up a solution to secure the body better. Add that to the list...

Another thing I'd like to do included stretching the front links ever so slightly (maybe 3mm or so). The front tires rub the cage (at the rear of the wheel-well opening) when turning sharp. I think adding to the wheelbase some will eliminate that problem. The rig is solid; it just needs some fine tuning.
    Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

December 14, 2015

Dang, another build thread lost in the dust.

Let's get up to date...

• I changed the fairlead to an RC4WD Warn Hawse fairlead because the roller ones seem to hang too much.
    • I also changed the winch line to some 300# LockedUpRC red winch line - about 5 or 6 feet of it.
    • I added some rear lights to gain a few extra points for the final Goat Series event which was held at Rocks & Boggers.
    • I also added some additional scale items to round out the scale points for the Goat Series.
    • I changed out the wheels and tires to try and gain an advantage in wet stuff - Mayhem Trail Shooters in black wrapped with Proline TSL XLs stuffed with CI Deuces Wild foams.

Well that get's us caught up (I think). Here are some pics of the items from the list above;

Funny thing is... most of the stuff above has been removed since running the last Goat Series event, except the wheels and tires. The lights were temporary anyway; the winch was removed to put on jUSTkAUSE. The scale accessories may still be there, I can't remember (and I'm not home to look - lol).

Anyway, I added a couple of decals - one for Corey at RPP after his wreck, and one for Budget Man Steve. Both add 5hp each.

That gets us back on track.

Did a little scale crawling at Nick's Sanctuary last Saturday. Enjoyed it until the rig didn't want to go anymore. I had to carry it out because it refused to go. (Maybe it was scared by the constant gunfire in the holler.)

I think it is the brushes on the motor have warn enough that they need replacing. After lunch, it started to act like the brushes were sticking (I'd have to bump the rig to get it going), and then like the brushes were not touching the comm. I haven't confirmed the cause yet, but will early this week. I'll let you know what I find. In the meantime, here is a pic of what causes the brushes to wear quickly (running in water);

I'll do a once-over and share any issues I find.
    Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

December 16, 2015

Well, I finally got around to getting the motor out of the rig. I thought I would have to disassemble the entire rig to just get the motor out because of the way the cage attaches to the chassis, but I didn't. I may have to in order to get the motor back in place.

Anywho, I removed the brush springs and then pulled the brushes to take a gander. The positive (+) was just under 6mm and the negative (-) was about 8.5mm. Obviously something is/was wrong. I've read that the brushes should be replaced at around 5mm; so, a decision will need to be made. Holmes will rebuild the motor for $12, that includes new brushes, springs and a few other tweaks; or, I can buy the brushes and drop those in myself for $12. That looks like an easy choice.

Here's a look at the brushes;

I don't like how the brush leads are soldered onto the brush contact channels. I'll have to change that. I do like how this motor performs. It seems to do well in this rig. Now to get it rebuilt and back in for more scale rock crawling fun.
    Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

January 2, 2016

Made a few changes to prep for today's GTG @ Shutes Branch.

I got an RC4WD 1/10 Mini Warn 9.5cti Winch from my sister-in-law for Christmas. It replaced the RC4WD Warn Winch that was robbed to put on jUSTkAUSE.

I chose the mini version because of the tight space in between the tube work. The original owner had another brand of winch that had a small footprint. This mini Warn fit right in there. Once I flipped the mounting plate around, two of the original holes lined up. All I needed to do was drill two more. Bam!

I took some paracord that I use for tow-ropes and removed the inner rope stuff and then used the outer sheathing to cover and protect the winch wires. I still need to visit my soldering guy to get a plug soldered on to match the heyOK winch controller.

I noticed whilst installing the winch that a couple of the tubes around the hood area were slightly bent. I guess it was from the repeated end-O's it took at Nick's Sanctuary. With some cooperation from a set of pliers, that was straightened out (so to speak).

I got the notion to try the Compass tires again. I want to see how they do in the mud and muck. I also wanted to try a different off-set of the Mayhem hubs. I did a little swapping around of hubs from the Trail Shooters to the Trail Readies and the other way 'round. I only got to do two wheels; so, I left the Proline TSLs in the rear on the Trail Shooters, and installed the Trail Readies with the Compass tires in the front. It looks funny, but the Compass tires are taller than the TSLs thus creating an overdrive effect. I'm going to try it at Shutes Branch just to see what happens.

Oh, I almost forgot. The motor... I installed an Axial 27 turn motor until I get the Holmes motor back from rebuild. Funny thing was it ran backwards when plugged in like it should be (+ to + / - to -). I don't remember the Holmes motor being wired backwards or the ESC programmed in reverse. That's something I will look into later. This sealed can Axial motor should be fine wired/ran reversed.
    Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

January 6, 2016

Ran this rig at Shutes Branch last Saturday. Performance was okay - nothing to get excited about. It definitely doesn't crawl up and over vertical obstacles well. That could be the 13-1/4" wheel-base. I like the RC4WD Compass tires. Better than the TSL XLs? Not exactly, but on this rig, I like the Compass better. The size difference was surprising. I'm going to run the Compass tires on the Trail Ready wheels with red rings. That combo just looks better to me. The TSL XLs will be on stand-by, maybe for more sloppy days.

Another thing, the motor seemed to want to stall when in a bind. I could tell a difference in the Axial 27t versus the Holmes motor. I'll remedy that soon enough.

I have decided (98.4% sure) to not run this rig as my Class 2 comp rig. Even with the SORRCA points for the hard-body and tube-work, I think the longer wheel-base hinders performance too much. Even with less SORRCA points, jUSTkAUSE seems to be a better option for my Class 2 comp rig. We still have a few weeks before the throw down...

Right now, MEAN STREAK is resting. I removed the wheels/tires and set it up on the stands for a bit.

I need to focus my time/money on finishing my Class 1 rig for the Monkey Series...
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

March 22, 2016

So, I did some rock crawling at Lamar Hill a little over a week ago. Fun place to play.

I wanted to test the 80# winch line I had spooled onto the RC4WD mini-Warn winch. I got it in a few situation to test it, and the line didn't break (knock on wood). I had some reservation because the size of the winch and the fact that littletoyboy had popped that winch line a few times at the Lamar Hill comp. Both seemed to work fine this time.

One bit of carnage was the Axial 27t motor (that was installed in the place of the Holmes motor that quit working at Nick's) gave up some white smoke towards the end of the day. I managed to put some back in and finish the afternoon with a driving rig. The motor was a little hot. Max was about 186 degrees.

That's two motors in this rig that have "gave up the ghost". I wonder if it's gearing related? First thing I will do is removed the Axial motor and see if the drive-train is binding. Spur/pinion ratio is 4.91. The Curries have overs/unders in them. Is that causing some issues? If everything seems to be moving appropriately, I may change the axle gears to either underdrive or overdrive only. I could try a larger spur or smaller pinion to further gear it down, I guess.

I have a Team Br00d motor to put in after I get the issue resolved. I don't want to smoke another motor.

Here's a memento of the fun at Lamar Hill...

Funny thing: the battery died in that spot and I had to track out to it and retrieve it, hence the close-up in the mud. Fun times!
    Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

August 1, 2016

Well, I thought I had done some updates since March... ek My bad.

Really the only thing I've changed are the wheels and tires. I picked up some Fanquish (eBay Chinese VP knock-off) and mounted some Pit Bull Mad Beasts with CI Deuce's Wild foams. I started out with the included hubs on the wheels, but have since switched to VP 350 hubs and VP XD Centers.

I've had a chance to run the tires a few times. The verdict is still out on whether these will stay. I love the looks. They look great on this rig. Downside is there are no side lugs. I've found side lugs can help a lot when trying to climb obstacles because they can grab sometimes when the tires are otherwise spinning. I'll keep them on for now and evaluate further.

Ran the rig at the 4-year and it was a slick mess, for any tire. EZ CHOPPER snapped a photo that I doctored up for a memento...

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

September 11, 2016

Did some crawling at Cedars last Saturday. The driest I have seen Cedars in quite some time. It's usually a slick mess, but not this day. Nice and dry.

Rig continues to perform okay. The wheelbase seems to affect the ease of overcoming some obstacles, and the slightly heavier weight tends to hold it back some. The Mad Beast tires seemed to break-in a little as the day went on, but I'm still not sold on them. I love the look of the Mad Beasts on this rig - tall & skinny, but the lack of side lugs doesn't suit my driving style. The jury is still out on those. May just need to mount some TSLs and be done with it.

The motor ran a little warm, not enough to damage or smoke it, but warm enough. May need to do some gearing changes.

Overall, it was a very fun day. Here are a couple photos of the fun. First one was snapped by EZ CHOPPER; both were edited by me.

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

September 14, 2016

Found a little time to tinker with this rig for a minute the last couple nights.

I texted back and forth the other night with intoodeep about things to help the Mad Beast tires perform better. While weight is one of those things that I agree would help, I don't want to use weights in the wheels. I may add some knuckle weights or weighted faux rotors at some point.

I would like to just get the tires to hook-up first, and then further tune with weight. I told intoodeep I was mounting TSLs, and I had one mounted, but I changed my mind. I really like the looks of the Mad Beasts on this rig, and wanted to try other things before abandoning them.

So, I remembered that I had some Lil Nova foams in my spare things. I have tried with some success on other rigs to run the Deuces Wild foams in the rear and soft (usually stock) foams in the front. I think that combo allows the rear tires to support the weight of the rig without collapsing while attempting vertical obstacles, and allows the front tires to better conform and grip the obstacle. Based on that thinking, I proceeded to swap out the Deuces Wild foams in the front for some 4.25 Lil Novas with closed cell inner / soft outer.

This change made the front tires "juicy". The Lil Nova foams filled them fine while allowing more "squish" than the Deuces Wild. The tire isn't overly flat while at rest, as seen below, but there is a noticeable difference.

While at it, I decided to change up the rear shocks a little. Most of you know that I like to tinker with the shocks to fine tune the handling of rigs. I felt the rear shocks were a bit stiff for my liking. The preload collars were cranked down quite a bit to keep the ride height at full extension. I usually like the rear shocks less stiff than the front to allow the rear to do more work than the front. Contrary to what I would think, a softer setup in the rear seems to crawl vertical obstacles better than a stiff one. I actually tested this theory with Honcho Verde at PPD one year. I tried an obstacle and adjusted the preload then tried again. The softer setup did better than with more preload. You would think a stiffer setup would hold the rig upright instead of flipping back, but the softer setup allows the rig to hug the obstacle better keeping it vertical longer. Enough theory...

I took the rear shocks off, cleaned them, added some shock oil, kept the springs that were there (Proline Scaler Shock lowers / Axial red uppers), adjusted all the preload out, and installed them back in place.

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

September 19, 2016

Small update... I ordered some smaller (lower tooth count) pinions to see if gearing down will help with the high temps.

Currently, it is running a 11t; I ordered a 10t & a 9t. My concern is not having enough room on the motor mount to slide the motor close enough to properly mesh the spur & pinion. I may need to do some Dremel persuasion to open the mount up enough, but then the transmission is really close to the motor too.

If I can't get proper mesh, I'll order a 56 tooth spur.

I'll keep you posted.
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

October 11, 2016

Did some crawling last Saturday at Barfield. I got to test the foam set-up in the tires and the change in rear shock pre-load. I could tell a significant improvement in the front tires' performance with the softer foams. Some of the rock was slick with dry dust. I could see the front tires hooking up better than before; so, that was a positive change.

As far as the rear shocks go, I think there's more opportunity there for improvement. With no pre-load, the rig presented more torque twist. Not far down the trail, I added a few turns of pre-load on the right rear shock. It helped some, but I think some stiffer springs are needed to keep the torque twist down. I never noticed it before. I also notice it was a little unstable when on vertical climbs. Again, something stiffer springs would help. I'll get out my extra springs and see what I can come up with. Stay tuned (get it?).

I noticed the body took some damage after several hard tumbles. I took some super glue and black E-6000 and repaired the effected areas - one on the hood and one on the rear right side.

I ordered a 56 tooth spur gear that should be at the HQ by the end of the week. I'll try to pair that with the 10 tooth pinion that I previous procured to hopefully lower the motor temps. With the motor pinion off, everything spins freely - nice and smooth. I've come to think it's just geared too high for the weight of this rig. We shall see...
    Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

October 13, 2016

Completed a once-over on this rig last night and found a few screws loose. lol

There was one wheel nut slightly loose, a couple of upper link nuts that needed tightened, and one knuckle screw loose. I added some blue thread locker to the knuckle screw and tightened it down. The others were a simple turn of the wrench. Nothing big, and no noticeable issues.

The 56t spur is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll change out the spur and hopefully get into some shock tuning tomorrow evening.
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

October 18, 2016

Well, I received the spur as scheduled. I got around to getting the transmission out last night. That was an adventure in itself. I had to loosen the entire cage and pry the frame rails apart in order to pry the skid out after I had loosened the transmission from the skid. Whew... that took a minute... to get my plan of attack and to get it apart. I could have went in from the top and removed the interior, but I felt that would have taken longer and more disassembly.

After finally getting the darn thing out, I checked clearances and it looks like the spur will clear the interior and the 9t pinion will correctly mesh with the spur. Yahoo!

I figured since it was such a pain to get access, I'd tear the transmission apart and check things out then re-grease and reassemble. I took it all apart and things look to be in great condition - gears, bearings and housing. I cleaned up the parts and will put it all back together tonight (hopefully). I'll look things over and see if there is an easier way to get access to the transmission before I start slapping it all back together.

Here are some photos because we all like photos:

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers