K0058
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mean Streak

Can you notch the frame and then braze in a notch to strengthen the frame in that section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2003EDGE View Post
    Can you notch the frame and then braze in a notch to strengthen the frame in that section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I could notch it, but I can't braze it (never have brazed).

Notching is a good idea, but may be more modification than I want to take on. Heck, I didn't remove the brace to cut it.

If I see that it hinders performance, I'll revisit the options.
    <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

I swept the cobwebs off MEAN STREAK last evening, and did a once-over in preparation for the comp this weekend. Everything looked fine and the hardware was tight. I removed the winch controller from plan B and installed it in this rig, along with the pull-pal. I tested everything to make sure it did what I wanted; all did fine.

I added a couple extra decals and called it a night.
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

[SIZE=3]Well, Round #3 was a tale of two courses... One good and one bad & ugly.

Gate 3 on course 1 was not my friend. It was a non-assuming gate that ate my lunch. It refused to let me through. After paying the toll - several winches, several reverses, and a gate penalty (IIRC), I finally was allowed to pass. That set the tone for the rest of the course. Then gate 9 finished me off. A line that has been ran so many times in years past, but this day, it took it's revenge. With mere seconds to go, MEAN STREAK lay on it's side, frustrated and embarrassed, I gave up. I was defeated. I did not finish course 1.

Course 2 was a different story. I managed to incur only six penalty points, but that was not enough to keep me out of last place for the event.

I could tell there was an improvement in steering consistency when off-camber from the installation of the 3-link set-up. I saw no real issues other than the poor driving on course 1. I need to get the butterflies out before starting somehow. I need a warm-up course.

I think I will change up the wheels and tires. I need to get the track width narrowed a touch. I've seen a few spots where the overall width of the rig hurt whether it was a gate hit, or having to use extra reverses.

Here is a photo of my friend, gate 3 on course 1;

Last edited by btoungette; 07-10-2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Getting ready for Round #5...

I changed the wheels and tires in order to narrow the overall track width. I went with VP Method 101 with Pit Bull Mad Beast tires and Crawler Innovation foams - Lil' Novas in front & Deuce's Wild in the rear. Using .350 hubs with the XD centers narrowed the overall width from the previous set-up by about 1/2 an inch.

Not much else has changed other than some fresh bearings in the knuckles. I feel like there is too much slop in the front stub-shafts. Some of it was from the bearings, and some of it is actually slop in the knuckle bushings. The bushings are the upgraded VP brass bushings, but the holes in the knuckles seem enlarged a bit. I'll probably change the bushing down the road to see if some new ones tighten things up some.

I did a once-over and things are tight and lubed awaiting this weekend.
    Last edited by btoungette; 07-10-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

So how did Mean Streak handle round 5 over the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by 25aniv View Post
    So how did Mean Streak handle round 5 over the weekend?
    Finished 5th for the day, but did have a perfect score for course 3.

There were three courses, and course 1 kicked me while I was down. That ruined my day from the start.
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Small little update. Just words, no photos.

Did a once over and everything looked fine - nothing loose or missing that I could find. Slight body damage (cracking) from the tumble(s) from Round #5. I don't think it's anything to worry with unless it worsens.

I felt that the rear shocks needed some tuning after seeing it unload and flop off of course 1. I had intended to change the springs to slightly stiffer, but remembered a test that i had done with Honcho Verde where softer springs actually helped lessen unpredictable unloading of the suspension. So, I went with slightly softer springs for the main (bottom) spring in the rear - white dot springs that are included on the RC4WD King Shocks.

We will see how they do. Hey, if you don't win (or even reach the podium) you gotta change something, right?
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

Well, well... what to say.

Saturday was a fun day with some tough courses. I stumbled into a forth place finish, but that was not enough to keep me in the hunt. I was mathematically eliminated from the Class 2 Championship.

So, that will probably be the last time this rig will be together in it's current form. I have plans to prep for 2018, and it doesn't include this rig (at least not all of it).

Overall, I think the rig has done okay. The wheelbase has hurt more than helped. My driving wasn't always on point. I've competed with this rig in a few club G6 style events in years past, but was always hesitant to use it in SORRCA events. If I had more time to prep for 2017 late last year, I more than likely would not have chose this rig to campaign in 2017. It maxes the scale points, but that proved to not be enough to overcome the problems. So, instead of beating this rig against the rocks for the last two events, I plan to start testing my 2018 Class 2 rig (more on that soon).
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers

The end is nigh. MEAN STREAK is in a box, and will be heading to Texas this afternoon. Well, the chassis that was MEAN STREAK will be. We had a good run, and it was a fun casual crawling rig, but as a comp crawler I never could overcome the long wheelbase. So, I offered it for sale in order to purchase more fun stuff.

So, here is one last photo of MEAN STREAK before packing. Good bye, MEAN STREAK.

Tennessee Scale Crawlers

It's ok, the rig will live on in some form or another. Besides the money does help buy new stuff to play with
    That's what I do with mine. One gets built and sold to fund the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by 25aniv View Post
    It's ok, the rig will live on in some form or another. Besides the money does help buy new stuff to play with
    That's what I do with mine. One gets built and sold to fund the next one.
    True. More money = more stuff.

When I first got this rig, I thought I would keep it forever. But, times change and needs/wants change.

It is somewhat therapeutic to get rid of things you like in order to make room for more things.

From what I understand, the new owner is already building axles and prepping for the arrival of this chassis.
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers