• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandkil
    • Mar 2017

1/18 Gelande ll D90

Hi all,
    So this will be my first thread here on rc4wd. Thought I would share my build of the little Defender.
    You might see that i went "all in" on this one, but I like the size and with limited space left in the man cave this fit in just right.

I have done some modification to it:
    Mini-z buggy shocks up front.
    Mini-z buggy springs at the rear.
    1/18 Universal Hobbies diecast Defender 90 as donor car for scale parts.
    Scratch built winsch and other exteriour body parts.
    2.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg9,5.jpg10.jpg12.jpg18..jpg21..jpg

//sandkil
  • Rckcrwlr
    Administrator
    • Jul 2005

That looks great. I love the color choice.

Comment

• sandkil
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
      That looks great. I love the color choice.
      Thank you
      I will try to shoot some action vids later on.

Comment

• sandkil
        • Mar 2017

I have a second body under way, but its on hold at the moment.
        I'm going for the 4x4 extreme challenge type body. It needs some front fenders, wheel wells and interior among other things.
        22..jpg

Comment

• sandkil
          • Mar 2017

Made some progress last night. Fender wing panels mounted and bulkhead between drivers compartment and the rear.
          The interior of this one will be scratch built with styrene sheets and profiles.
          25..jpg

Comment

• noname
            Team Driver
            • Mar 2014

WOW pal... Amazing lil' rig and amazing pics... Great job...
            sigpic

RC4WD Bully 2 Riddler Pro
            RC4WD Gelande II D90/mini D90 1/18
            RC4WD TF2
            RC4WD Beast II
            RC4WD Warhound
            Axial/Gmade class 1,2,3 scale rigs

http://www.youtube.com/c/EtienneNoname0383

Comment

• sandkil
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by noname View Post
              WOW pal... Amazing lil' rig and amazing pics... Great job...
              Thank you so much

Here is whats slowly progressing with the interiour for the 4x4 xtreme.
              Its all evergreen sheets and profiles and all will be painted black. Might paint the window net red.
              I notised with the blue Landy that the diecast donor interiour is hard to get a really good look at so this is more a semi scale interiour.
              31.jpg

Comment

• uponone19
                • Apr 2017

Scale Details

Amazing work, I'm curious would you elaborate and share a little information reguarding some of the scratch built details I see? Specifically the beautiful job on the snorkel, roll cage, and winch set up, materials used, techniques to best cut bend and fab. I'm new to scale rc crawlers but have a baby gelenda in the mail "hopefully in today woohoo", and will be posting my own build eventually. The current aftermarket seems pretty limited at the moment, and some items are a little too toyish for my liking. I welcome outside the box techniques, but it would be very helpful if you could point out some good materials to work with that are scaled correctly for 1/18-1/24th. Thanks! For example tubing material, diameter's, jigs, adhesives...pretty open ended I know...sorry lol

Comment

• sandkil
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by uponone19 View Post
                  Amazing work, I'm curious would you elaborate and share a little information reguarding some of the scratch built details I see? Specifically the beautiful job on the snorkel, roll cage, and winch set up, materials used, techniques to best cut bend and fab. I'm new to scale rc crawlers but have a baby gelenda in the mail "hopefully in today woohoo", and will be posting my own build eventually. The current aftermarket seems pretty limited at the moment, and some items are a little too toyish for my liking. I welcome outside the box techniques, but it would be very helpful if you could point out some good materials to work with that are scaled correctly for 1/18-1/24th. Thanks! For example tubing material, diameter's, jigs, adhesives...pretty open ended I know...sorry lol

Thank you!
                  Sorry for late answer.
                  Wow, where to begin.
                  Most of it is made with Evergreen styrene sheets, rods and tubing. For example the snorkel on the blue one is made out of Evergreen 5/32" tubing jentley heated over an open flame (candle) and bent to right angles. It takes some practis.. The top "hat" is part of a tip from a ballpoint pen.
                  For the 4x4 extreme: The raised air filter is made out of 5/32, 5/16" tubing and .015" sheet.
                  Roll cage is Evergreen .080" styrene rod. Same prinicipal, heated into shape over a candle. I use UHU plast spezial glue and Zap to fixate and permanent bond.
                  The winches are made out of all sorts of Evergreen styrene sheets, tubing, sewing thread and .0250 steel wire.
                  I use Google to find what kind of snorkel, cage or winch to build and just eye measure it.

I hope this helps u along with your bilds.
                  There are some great tips on youtube that are more basic how to tips.

**CHECK OUT PART 2! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-EDpxj8ZHoEpisode 1 of a 2 part series on How To Work With Styrene! This will cover some of the basics,...

You can support and sponsor our efforts to keep creating new content for the CRANKY SHOW by visiting the Lab-RAT-ory and the CRANKY STORE:http://www.doctorcr...

34.jpg33.jpg32.jpg
                  Last edited by sandkil; 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• uponone19
                    • Apr 2017

Awesome thank you for the detailed response, it was exactly what I was looking for! I'll pick some of these materials up next trip to the hobby shop.

Comment

• sandkil
                      • Mar 2017

Made a little Youtube clip of the garage for the little Defender..s

Comment

• sandkil
                        • Mar 2017

Wanted to have a tubular winch bumper on the Ol´blue. Said and done.
                        IMG_1539.jpg

Comment

• KWCrush
                          • Jan 2018

Wow that's some amazing work!!
                          Love the Shop!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
                          sigpic

Comment

• sandkil
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by KWCrush View Post
                            Wow that's some amazing work!!
                            Love the Shop!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
                            Thank you so much 😊
                            Just got the bumper painted and mounted. Just need to sort the winch hook.
                            61F7375D-A76C-4531-9EDD-3AA52F904B4C.jpg

Comment

• sandkil
                              • Mar 2017

Just received the new V2 transmission and got it installed.
                              It was a tight fit with the diecast interior. Had to massage the footwells a bit.
                              Did a short test run indoors. What a difference!!! Cant wait for decent weather for a proper test run.

IMG_1586.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1594.jpgIMG_1595.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X