Warn 8275

Thread: 1/18 Gelande ll D90

Default 1/18 Gelande ll D90

Hi all,
    So this will be my first thread here on rc4wd. Thought I would share my build of the little Defender.
    You might see that i went "all in" on this one, but I like the size and with limited space left in the man cave this fit in just right.

I have done some modification to it:
    Mini-z buggy shocks up front.
    Mini-z buggy springs at the rear.
    1/18 Universal Hobbies diecast Defender 90 as donor car for scale parts.
    Scratch built winsch and other exteriour body parts.
    2.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg9,5.jpg10.jpg12.jpg18..jpg21..jpg

//sandkil

That looks great. I love the color choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
    That looks great. I love the color choice.
    Thank you
    I will try to shoot some action vids later on.

I have a second body under way, but its on hold at the moment.
    I'm going for the 4x4 extreme challenge type body. It needs some front fenders, wheel wells and interior among other things.
    22..jpg

Made some progress last night. Fender wing panels mounted and bulkhead between drivers compartment and the rear.
    The interior of this one will be scratch built with styrene sheets and profiles.
    25..jpg

Thumbs up

WOW pal... Amazing lil' rig and amazing pics... Great job...

RC4WD Bully 2 remedy 3.5
    RC4WD Bully 2 Riddler Pro
    RC4WD Gelande II D90/mini D90 1/18
    RC4WD TF2
    RC4WD Beast II
    RC4WD Warhound
    Axial/Gmade class 1,2,3 scale rigs

http://www.youtube.com/c/EtienneNoname0383

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    WOW pal... Amazing lil' rig and amazing pics... Great job...
    Thank you so much

Here is whats slowly progressing with the interiour for the 4x4 xtreme.
    Its all evergreen sheets and profiles and all will be painted black. Might paint the window net red.
    I notised with the blue Landy that the diecast donor interiour is hard to get a really good look at so this is more a semi scale interiour.
    31.jpg

Default Scale Details

Amazing work, I'm curious would you elaborate and share a little information reguarding some of the scratch built details I see? Specifically the beautiful job on the snorkel, roll cage, and winch set up, materials used, techniques to best cut bend and fab. I'm new to scale rc crawlers but have a baby gelenda in the mail "hopefully in today woohoo", and will be posting my own build eventually. The current aftermarket seems pretty limited at the moment, and some items are a little too toyish for my liking. I welcome outside the box techniques, but it would be very helpful if you could point out some good materials to work with that are scaled correctly for 1/18-1/24th. Thanks! For example tubing material, diameter's, jigs, adhesives...pretty open ended I know...sorry lol

Quote Originally Posted by uponone19 View Post
    Amazing work, I'm curious would you elaborate and share a little information reguarding some of the scratch built details I see? Specifically the beautiful job on the snorkel, roll cage, and winch set up, materials used, techniques to best cut bend and fab. I'm new to scale rc crawlers but have a baby gelenda in the mail "hopefully in today woohoo", and will be posting my own build eventually. The current aftermarket seems pretty limited at the moment, and some items are a little too toyish for my liking. I welcome outside the box techniques, but it would be very helpful if you could point out some good materials to work with that are scaled correctly for 1/18-1/24th. Thanks! For example tubing material, diameter's, jigs, adhesives...pretty open ended I know...sorry lol

Thank you!
    Sorry for late answer.
    Wow, where to begin.
    Most of it is made with Evergreen styrene sheets, rods and tubing. For example the snorkel on the blue one is made out of Evergreen 5/32" tubing jentley heated over an open flame (candle) and bent to right angles. It takes some practis.. The top "hat" is part of a tip from a ballpoint pen.
    For the 4x4 extreme: The raised air filter is made out of 5/32, 5/16" tubing and .015" sheet.
    Roll cage is Evergreen .080" styrene rod. Same prinicipal, heated into shape over a candle. I use UHU plast spezial glue and Zap to fixate and permanent bond.
    The winches are made out of all sorts of Evergreen styrene sheets, tubing, sewing thread and .0250 steel wire.
    I use Google to find what kind of snorkel, cage or winch to build and just eye measure it.

I hope this helps u along with your bilds.
    There are some great tips on youtube that are more basic how to tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJQ71o1qqWw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkuWxTSqiko

34.jpg33.jpg32.jpg
    Last edited by sandkil; 05-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Awesome thank you for the detailed response, it was exactly what I was looking for! I'll pick some of these materials up next trip to the hobby shop.

Made a little Youtube clip of the garage for the little Defender..s