X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 25aniv
    • Apr 2017

Chevy Pickup Rising From the Blazer Ashes

Just a metaphore, nothing actually caught fire!

Hello everyone, new to this forum. I am highlighting this build on another forum and don't consider myself a forum jumper (I'm active on 2 total) but thought since this truck is large majority RC4WD / TF2 I would bring it over here for those like me who really enjoy their TF2 stuff. I'll post up where I am to this point and continue along.

The truck started with the idea to do a phantom of sorts, I wanted to do a long box dually pickup but with an extended cab instead of a standard or crew cab configuration. GM never built this configuration but it was very poorly done by several aftermarket companies (CVI seeming to be the most popular) and available to anyone wanting to plunk down some extra G's on top of the purchase price for a ruined new truck. The most popular of these being the ext cab short box. They actually started with long boxes and used the cutout portion of the bed floor to make the cab extension base. Of course I don't think anyone realized back then how badly these trucks were built or they wouldn't have sold a single unit. Though there is probably as much plastic in mine as the real ones I will try and create a better finished product.

I'll save the comentary on each pic and just give an overview...

3 Chevrolet Blazer bodies (3rd one is in many pieces just never whole in the photos!) cut in various places to make the extended cab and long box.
    Created a cab back wall, front box wall and made a new bed floor.
    Body trim created from flat stock, quarter and half round. More to be added!
    Rear dually fenders built from scratch.
    Truck is going to be fully lit and using a combination of Blazer and Mojave exterior lights.
    Truck will have a full interior.
    Truck is going to be pretty much all TF2 underneath.

A lot has gone into it to this point and I continue to forge ahead. I will update with more detail as I get more things sorted and built for it. Hope you enjoy the truck just a little as well

Blazer 001.jpgBlazer 005.jpgBlazer 006.jpgBlazer 008.jpgBlazer 009.jpgBlazer 011.jpgBlazer 012.jpgBlazer 015.jpgBlazer 016.jpgBlazer 017.jpgBlazer 018.jpgBlazer 019.jpgBlazer 020.jpgBlazer 021.jpgBlazer 022.jpgBlazer 023.jpg
  • 25aniv
    • Apr 2017

Blazer 027.jpgBlazer 028.jpgBlazer 030.jpgBlazer 031.jpgBlazer 032.jpgBlazer 033.jpg

Comment

• 25aniv
      • Apr 2017

Blazer 047.jpgBlazer 048.jpgBlazer 049.jpgBlazer 050.jpgBlazer 051.jpgBlazer 052.jpg

Comment

• kristee
        • Dec 2016

Looks good!

Sent to you using magic and Tapatalk

Comment

• 25aniv
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by kristee View Post
          Looks good!

Sent to you using magic and Tapatalk
          Thanks!

Comment

• Rickleo
            • Nov 2015

Wow this is a impressive build. Love the details. Makes me want to start back on my crew cab dually. Nice work. Can't wait for more.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Troopy
              • Feb 2016

Wow. That's really some awesome work. Your attention to detail is outstanding. I truly am eager to see more progress, and the final product.

Comment

• Cowboy74
                • Apr 2017

Awesome project!

Comment

• 25aniv
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Troopy View Post
                  Wow. That's really some awesome work. Your attention to detail is outstanding. I truly am eager to see more progress, and the final product.
                  Originally posted by Rickleo View Post
                  Wow this is a impressive build. Love the details. Makes me want to start back on my crew cab dually. Nice work. Can't wait for more.
                  [QUOTE=Cowboy74;46074]Awesome project![Quote]

Thanks all! Appreciate the kind words Waiting on more supplies and a few pieces to show up in the mail. More to come!

Comment

• 25aniv
                    • Apr 2017

Time for an update...

Ok so the chassis is now based on the Cmax thanks to staring at noob's Burban...Lol! It's been cut and extended because the near 20" frame rails weren't enough to support the 15" wheelbase and have everything line up correctly underneath. The body is now in primer and almost ready for color though first I'm roughing out an interior tub for it. Going all '70s with this one and made a visor and working on tread plate running boards and mudflaps. I have an idea for the dual CB antenna mounts but that'll have to wait
                    This thing really needs a bench seat inside so I went to the parts box and grabbed the remainder of the RC4WD cruiser seats I ended up not using on another truck. Basic cut and paste, seat pattern lines up perfectly (good thing since it'll be partially fabric). It'll be a flip forward bench with just some simple pins and "arms" to rotate on.

Nothing is lined up or bolted down here! Just checking out my wheelbase measurements to make sure I have an acceptable cab-to-bed gap...

Blazer 058.jpgBlazer 059.jpgBlazer 060.jpgBlazer 061.jpgBlazer 062.jpginterior 001.jpginterior 002.jpginterior 003.jpginterior 004.jpg

Comment

• 25aniv
                      • Apr 2017

Just a quick note to anyone thinking of using the K44 front axle with the 1.55 Dually wheels as I have here...they don't fit. Not a big deal though! I had always planned to go with some 4mm wideners I had anyway so it wasn't a big deal for me. Just a word of caution you will need a small spacer on the hub or some very slight knuckle grinding. It isn't much just enough to lock the wheel when fully tightened.

Blazer K44 interference.jpg

Comment

• 25aniv
                        • Apr 2017

Little teaser...

Base color is on. 2nd color should be on this weekend and then moving forward with all the little sub assemblies. Now that the summer fun is out of the way I can get back to finishing this thing!

Blazer 063.jpg

Comment

• Rickleo
                          • Nov 2015

Welcome back. Glad to see you back on this build. Thumbs up to that paint job!

Comment

• 25aniv
                            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Rickleo View Post
                            Welcome back. Glad to see you back on this build. Thumbs up to that paint job!

Thanks! Hopefully it will continue to look a little better all the time.

Comment

Working...
                            X