Beast 2 RTR

Thread: Southern Builds Tundra Revamp

Cool Southern Builds Tundra Revamp

This truck was built a few years ago and it changed hands and was parted out over time as alot of rigs do.

The chassis was built by Don Jenkins and Southern Builds. It was built around an RC4WD Hammer Transfer Case, R3 Single Speed Transmission, Ultimate K44 axles and Ultimate Scale Driveshafts. I will be using roughly the same setup aside from going with the new cast K44 axles. Electronics are up in the air right now. I know that this one will be brushless but not over the top on power. As for rolling stock...I am wanting to stay in the 4.5" range on height. I mocked up some 4.75 tires and they are just a little tall for the look I am going for.

Pics will be uploaded shortly.

This is what it looked like originally in its completed form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey buddy, now that's pretty darn well done. I just love your attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopy View Post
    Hey buddy, now that's pretty darn well done. I just love your attention to detail.
    Thanks...it is currently a pile of parts on my bench right now. The last pictures are from when it was complete a couple years ago.

Here are a few more of the original build pictures that I found after the collapse of Photobucket.

Amazing build. And the Tundra Body is not so used.
    Good job !

Things are happening!

Got the rear end mocked up with a D44 plastic axle, 100mm king shocks as well as my trusty 1.9 Baja Claw TTC tires that have been slightly modified!

The new MT/R tires will be going on in place of these and I also have some new wheels coming for it as well.

Well ladies and gentlemen, it is a roller again!

Will be running SCX2 based axles for clearance. Really want to add the new VP rear axle and Rock Jock front. Will have to see though.

Can see that I will need to build a longer panhard bar.

Wow buddy, that's really awesome. I've just painted my truggy's body last night. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures very soon. Tonight it's back to the paint booth for the chassis and cage.

Time for a little update on this!

I installed the SCX2 axles and while I am sure they would work...I didn't feel they fit the build. So I mocked up a Yota axle which could be replaced with a K44 axle directly. While it would have worked...I still wanted something different.

In comes the D44 plastic axle. These axles if you didn't already know took 1st and 2nd at the European Fix Recon Endurance Challenge.

I moved the steering above the knuckles which also allowed me to run a straight tie rod and gave me an identical angle between my panhard and drag link.

I also installed a set of Mega Truck driveshafts. I need to wait on the rear to come back in stock.

Looks nice..!
    a good couple