Beast 2 RTR

Thread: agent ORANGE

Default agent ORANGE

I'm pretty sure I haven't started a thread on this rig even though I have had it on the shelf for two years or so.

I got this rig in a trade deal. I had wanted one of these kits for a while (at the time); so, I traded a Class 1 Trail Stomper for what you see below.

It was already assembled and painted, but looked to never have been ran.

Anyway, agent ORANGE just sat on the shelf. Sure, I'd tinker with it from time to time, but never did anything worthy of posting. I tried selling it a few times, but no takers.

I finally painted the top last year and gathered a few parts here and there then it got to the point you see below.

But, 2017 brought a change and increase in my focus on comps. So, agent ORANGE got left on the shelf.... until now.

After being eliminated from the 2017 Class 2 Championship, I got an epiphany... take the best parts from MEAN STREAK and add them to agent ORANGE, stretch the wheelbase, and see how it works in a comp situation.

We've got a long way to go, but the Curries are under the G2 chassis. They look like they will work together well. I had to make some changes to the set-up, and will have to move a few things around on the axle and the chassis, but I think it all will work out.

Here is what it looked like last night after a couple of night tinkering...

I'll get more into the details as we go along. I need to get the 3-link and panhard sorted up front along with the steering. Once that is complete, I will be convinced that this idea will work. The body will need trimmed in the rear to clear the larger tires. The TSLs are on there now, and may stay. The wheels will probably stay through testing, and then I'll swap those out. I plan to lose the top & trim a few things then add a metal cage (already purchased). The list is long, as it is with any new project.

I look forward to comping with this rig for Round #7.

Stay tuned.
    <>< | MEAN STREAK | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | plan B | RAFFLE-1 | pROCKtor

I found a little time to complete some body mods -the rear fender openings. Those needed to be enlarged to allow the rear axle to flex without the tire hitting the body.

I made a template by tracing the shape on a card from underneath then cutting it out.

I taped it on the body and made some marks with a sharpie.

I then took a Dremel with a thin cut-off wheel and sanding disk to remove the material. A few minutes later we had this...

I wanted to maintain the shape of the opening; so, I only removed material at the rear keeping the upper line. Essentially, just elongating the opening.

I think it turned out great.

I worked through some items on my list to get this rig ready for Round #7 of the 2017 Series.

Someone's got to drive... so, I tried to find someone that would fit the bill. There were a few choices in the box, but Hit-Girl won the job. I wasn't really up-to-date on her background, but she convinced me she was right for the job. (Kinda pushy. lmao ) I will have to do some adjustments to secure her in place. She will end up sitting on some books due to her short stature. Other than that, she should do just fine.

I took a few minutes and made a tow rope and some bungees. Got to have those scale points.

One of the main things was electronics placement and securing those in place. That took some time (as it usually does). I used the electronics from MEAN STREAK - ESC, BEC, servo, RX, winch, and motor. I had to use some extended motor leads and several small zip-ties, but everything is in place and it works. I got one photo of the start of the wiring...

Another thing I decided was the wheel and tire combo I will use - 1.9 VP Method 101 beadlocks and Compass tires with CI Lil' Nova foams. These are the wheels that were on MEAN STREAK, but with different black rings. The tires were on MEAN STREAK when I first got it. I like the look. Here is a quick work bench shot...

You can see in the photo above that I removed the top and changed the cage to the RC4WD Tough Armor Tube Roll Bar for G2 Cruiser. I plan to run without the top.

There are several things left to do - change lower links, paint & install inner fenders, paint details around windshield, decals, secure driver, secure driveshafts, install sliders, and a few other small detail items.

Stay tuned...

I had a very productive weekend with checking several items off the to-do list.

Late last week, I got a couple items off the list - new RC4WD 98 mm aluminum links for the lower links and RC4WD Tough Armor Side Sliders G2 Cruiser.

The main project was getting several items painted - inner fenders, underside of interior, windshield trim, cooler for rear area, and dash pad. Once all that dried, I installed them on the rig.

One detail that I wanted to add was side windows since I would be running with no top. I made a template and used a sharp hobby knife to score the lexan. I then broke the score line and secured the windows to the body with E-6000.

Here are the specifics of this rig in full ready-to-compete attire: width = 10-1/8 inches; wheel base = 11-13/16 inches; height = 10-1/2 inches; weight = 9 lbs 10 oz.

ROCK & ROLL... that's the phrase that I think of when thinking of Round #7, and the debut of agentORANGE. It's sad really...

Well, we will chalk that last-place fiasco up to a testing round. The rig did well most of the time, but when it didn't, it cost time and broken (body) parts. For the first outing, I thought it did fine. It did things that could have been averted with some actual testing, but who has time for that?

I expected the mirrors to get broken off, check. I expected the upper doors to break also, but they stood tall. I did NOT expect the fender to get broken off. The wiper got pushed down, a large piece broke off the fender, mirrors broke off, door handle bent, and several nicks and scratches due to rolling on the rocks. I think some changes in the shocks will stop some of the uncontrolled rolling over, both sideways and over backwards. I think less flex and stiffer springs will help that issue, at least make it more controlled.

Here is a photo of the carnage - broken fender, missing mirror, and wiper out of place:

I plan to make those changes to the shocks and repair the fender, then give it time to heal and try again in Round #8.

Here is a photo at the first gate, before any damage:

Here is an additional poser shot:

I worked on this rig a week or so ago and then went on vacation without sharing... So, here we go.

I repaired the fender break with some trusty Bondene, and used some parts tree scrap for some reinforcement. The break was clean enough that the broken piece went back on rather well. There is still a small crack that is visible. I may run a bead of E-6000 across the underside crack to add some extra reinforcement.

As you can see I fixed the wiper, too.

Another issue I addressed was the shocks. I changed around some springs, moved all the upper shock screws up to the top hole in the shock hoops, and added a small piece of aquarium tubing (6-7mm) under the piston in each rear shocks to shorten them and limit full droop. It brought the overall stance down some, limited flex, and stiffened things up a bit. If I remember correctly, I used stock 90 mm Axial shock main springs for the bottoms and used the Pro-line bottom springs for the tops to give the set-up more stiffness. I didn't have the proper King Shock tuning springs I needed because I had used the stiffer ones in a prior build that is no longer mine. Sorry, no photos of the spring change-out.

I'll get to see how the changes work out with Round #8 in a few weeks. Hopefully, I can keep the body in one piece and not finish last.

Success! Not as in actually winning, or even finishing on the podium, but success as in nothing was broken. lmao

I got through all 30 gates without flopping over once. That in itself is success. I rolled it one time after the comp was over whilst I was messing around, but I don't count that one.

Two comps and two fifth place finishes, and this thing has shown me that I need a different approach to Class 2 in 2018. The changes made form Round #7 vastly improved the handling and predictability of this rig. I'll chalk that up as a success. But, overall, I think I need something completely difference to match-up better with the podium finishers. More on that as we approach 2018.

I like this rig, even more after the shock changes. It was a totally different rig. I didn't see anything that I want to change from running it in Round #8. I plan to keep it intact and run it when I can, maybe in an upcoming G6 event.

Here is a photo memory from Round #8:

Nice work! Sometimes hard to compete with the carbon fiber noodle chassis rigs out there. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small update. Pretend it's October 10th...

I had a few items on the G6 list to add before making the trip to RRW Krawlzone - Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Event Information
    Mandatory Scale Requirements
    - A tow strap is mandatory and will be used during the stages.
    - 10 scale items are mandatory. A scale item can be a driver, bumpers, a pet, a spare tire, gauges, lights, bumper sticker, etc.
    - scale sack of grain

Not Mandatory, But Highly Recommended Requirements
    - A scale haybale, quilt, clay pipe or bow and arrow, plow, blacksmith tools is not mandatory, but highly recommended.
    - A moonshine still or other moonshine items again, not mandatory but highly recommended
    - Driving with a racoon skin hat, cowboy hat, or bonnet is not mandatory, but highly recommended.
    The items in red above are things I will be adding. The others are already in place, or I have decided not to do (like drive with a bonnet).

After much pondering, I chose to approach the items as though Hit Girl (the driver of this rig) had either busted up a moonshine still operation, or was headed somewhere to start brewing. I purchased some doll house sacks of various things to be the grain sacks, purchased a dollhouse quilt, and made some "worms" for the moonshine still out of copper wire. I placed those items in the cargo area along with a 'shine jug & jar, and covered them with the quilt. I made some tie-down points with some small rope and secured the quilt with a bungee. I think it turned out rather realistic.

Now we are back to today...

The event (2nd ANNUAL MOUNTAINS ARE KRAWLING) was great fun despite not coming home with hardware. I did manage a few great raffle prizes. You may see those included in a future build. I met some new folks that like to scale crawl, and that's always good.

Here is a memento of the event.

I'm not sure on the direction of this rig going forward. I think it is done? Will I keep it? Probably. Despite some performance drawbacks (weight & wheelbase), it has become one of my favorites. It's fun to drive and it looks the part.