RTR0030

Thread: Gelande II Cruiser leaf spring conversion - custom vs kit

Default Gelande II Cruiser leaf spring conversion - custom vs kit

Hi everyone,

I have recently picked up a (barely) used Gelande II Cruiser to compliment my not quite yet completed TF2 kit. I really want to convert the Cruiser to leaf springs but cannot find anything on the newly released RC4WD conversion kit.

As far as I can see, the main difference between theconversions I have seen in the various forums is the leaf springs being used.The RC4WD kit uses the TF2 SWB springs while most of the internets have usedTF2 springs, which are just a bit longer and use multiple leafs.

Has anyone used the RC4WD kit and if so, any idea how itcompares to doing a custom conversion with the longer TF2 springs? Pardonmynoob and New2rocks, really interested to see ifeither of you have played with the new kits as you have been running theconversions for quite some time.

Thanks in advance!

Tim from Michigan
    Last edited by tkw75; 10-11-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Hey buddy, I 've done two leaf conversions on the GII chassis, and both with the normal TF spares. To what I can see, it is very similar to the kit that RC4WD has available, except that I think the kit is much easier. With the conversions I have made, you have to do a little custom work, such as making mounting brackets, and drilling holes in the chassis. I do however prefer to do my own conversion, as I can move the front axle forward, to mimic the look of the 1/1. That is on the 40 series Land Cruiser though. Maybe you can move the axle forward with the kit from RC4WD also, I'm not sure. Whatever you decide, good luck, and keep us posted.

Hey Troopie, thanks for weighing in.

So here is my plan:

1. Purchase the kit without the frame rails - includes the proper brackets and shackles
    2. Sell/repurpose the springs from the SWB TF2 that are included in the kit
    3. Purchase the TF2 springs
    4. use the above hardware and springs to custom mount to current frame (no mount/shackle drillings)
    5. Enjoy leaf springs

So using the mounts seems like the easiest path as I can mount them where I want to enable the axle to move forward as well as flip the shackles around in the front. It appears 80mm shocks are popular with the leafs... any other recommendations?

Thanks again!
    TKW75
    RC4WD TF2 & GII Cruiser, ECX Barrage, ECX Temper
    Too many other R/C's to list

Alright, so a change of plans. RCRecycler had a full set of TF2 springs, shackles, hangers and hardware on eBay so I pulled the trigger. I think I can make it work but I will have to see once it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TKW75
    RC4WD TF2 & GII Cruiser, ECX Barrage, ECX Temper
    Too many other R/C's to list