Armaggedon

Thread: A K5 Blazer Pickup Conversion

Default A K5 Blazer Pickup Conversion

I was growing tired of my current K5 Blazer body and decided to replace it with a K5 Blazer Pickup Conversion. Checking the internet found that the half top K5 Blazers had several vendors that produced a pickup conversion kit for them. The kit was really just a fiberglass or metal rear panel that attached to the cab. So, an assembled RC4WD orange Blazer body was purchased (I didn't want to paint the white two tone trim) and action taken to convert it.

(Click the picture or hold the mouse over it to enlarge the image)

Here's the converted K5 Blazer.

Blazer 1.jpg

The custom rear panel fits nicely and was painted to match a pickup bed. The orange used wasn't a dead match to the pre-painted body but close enough for me. A roll bar and CB antenna was added to dress the truck up a bit.

Blazer 2.jpg

A close look shows the rear panel is indeed just a panel attached to the cab.

Blazer 3.jpg

A RC4WD Blazer decal trim set was applied. The decals give the white to orange transition a nice look. It's suspected, however, they will peel off over time. Glad they give you a spare set in the package.

Blazer 4.jpg

The roll bar is a TF2 roll bar cut in half and widened to match the Blazer body. Black tubing was added to increase the diameter and match the larger Blazer body. The roll bar attaches to the bed using the forward mounting holes for the full top.

Blazer 5.jpg

Dual exhaust was added for the 350 V8 under the hood.

Blazer 6.jpg

A wood trim look was attempted on the dash but unfortunately ended up to be just brown. The entire dash was raised up to better align with hood height. Also, moving the dash up allowed the driver to keep his legs and feet.

Blazer 7.jpg

Here's the rear cab panel piece. A fiberglass look was desired. I am surprise a scale RC vendor doesn't make one of these cab panels (hint, hint). A CCHand rear window guard was installed to hide my less than perfect window cuts. The cab panel is held in place with rubber bands which allows it to be easily removed so the regular white Blazer top can be installed if desired.

Blazer 8.jpg

My old Blazer body sat on top a modified 2012 Tamiya Bruiser chassis (the large black electronic box was eliminated). Here's what the chassis looks like.

Blazer 9.jpg

Everything sits low so the Blazer body doesn't touch anywhere except at mounting points. The chassis is wired for lights and a winch but this new body doesn't use them yet.

Blazer 10.jpg

Addition pictures in my reply.

Here are the additional pictures.

(Click on the picture or hold the mouse over the image to enlarge)

This is a close up of the steering servo modification looking down.

Blazer 11.jpg

A close up of the steering servo modification looking up. This truck has tight steering control.

Blazer 12.jpg

Close up of the transmission servo modification looking from the top. The servo is mounted to the custom bracket holding the battery tray. The Tamiya Bruiser transmission is a 3 speed. 1st gear is low and 4WD. 2nd and 3rd gear are 2WD only.

Blazer 13.jpg

A view of the transmission shift servo looking from the bottom.

Blazer 14.jpg

This picture shows how the front of the body is held in place. A custom bracket was made to capture the two front bumper posts. The bumper posts are simply slid into place and the rear bed posts secure the body down. Battery changes take less than a minute. The extra red wire connector shown is for the under bumper sidewinder winch (WIP).

Blazer 15.jpg

The K5 Blazer cutting a trail through the garden. Give me a couple weeks to get the truck to the river bed and dirty.

Blazer 16.jpg

The 2WD feature is nice to use and interesting to see what the truck can and can not do in 2WD. Two wheel drive in 2nd gear can handle these rocks with some difficulty.

Blazer 17.jpg

Two wheel drive works fine on many surfaces and greatly improves steering. If the throttle is hit hard in 2nd or 3rd gear the tires will throw a lot of dirt up in the air. In mud it's even more impressive.

Blazer 18.jpg

Of course there are time when four wheel drive is a must or it's a no go. These wide Mickey Thompson tires have superb traction on everything but mud. The truck easily pulled itself up and over this large rock without spinning the tires in 1st gear (4WD). The rear bumper, however, did get dragged across that rock under it.

Blazer 19.jpg

Enough for now. Heading out of the rock garden and looking forward to a RC outing at the park in the next several weeks.

Blazer 20.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.