K0058
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just A Chevy Duallie

Default Just A Chevy Duallie

Been working on this build for a little over a year now. Started with 3 RC4WD Blazer bodies and a extended TF2 chassis. It running yota 2axles and Lesu 10 lug semi hubs and wheels.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I purchased Clodbuster rear dually fenders from Shapeways and graphed the Blazer wheel arches into them

Recently I wanted to try my hand at soldering so I decided to redo the chassis using 3/4 inch brass tube and brake line tube. Very happy with the outcome.

This is how the build sits present day. I'm also scratch building a Cummins 6bt 12 valve diesel engine for this beast. So tell me what you think. Thanks for looking......

Wow, that's some seriously nice work. I love the chassis rails, what material did you use to make them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Troopy View Post
    Wow, that's some seriously nice work. I love the chassis rails, what material did you use to make them ?
    Thanks Troopy. I used 3/4 inch brass tube bent and cut down the middle to meme the chassis rails. I learned a good lesson in the process of making the chassis. Always measure, measure, measure! Had to undoall the soldering on one side cause the wheelbase was off a 1/2 inch. Lesson learned lol.

"My plans are forever changing. First it was going to be a military theme build, but now that I've ditched the extended TF2 chassis and tried my hand at building my own it's taken on an old backyard built truck theme. Check out my build and give me your honest thoughts and opinions."

Honestly, I think it is a great effort! I've been following your build thread elsewhere (and now here) so I'm familiar with your truck up to this point. Really I don't get the "backyard" feel from this truck. Don't change the theme, stick with your original plan. Too easy to derail a build when the mind wanders . The frame turned out great and in the process you realized a mistake, did what you needed to correct it and moved forward. Actually I like this frame much more than the morphed TF2 hybrid. The metal putty on the Yota diffs is certainly thinking outside the box and as far as I've seen, you're the first to try it. The only thing I see so far on this truck that were it mine I would be a little hesitant, the plastic leaf springs. Please don't take that as being anything more than honest. It's a creative solution but I'm not certain they are going to last. I say this because building a similar truck, these things are...HEAVY. I don't know how you plan on driving it but you've got more weight than I do in wheels and tires, longer wheelbase and steel bumpers. I hope I'm completely wrong and they work for you but I'm just not sure.

That's enough of my babbling! You're building one heck of a cool truck and lots of people are waiting to see it done. Keep at it and give us updates!

Quote Originally Posted by 25aniv View Post
    "My plans are forever changing. First it was going to be a military theme build, but now that I've ditched the extended TF2 chassis and tried my hand at building my own it's taken on an old backyard built truck theme. Check out my build and give me your honest thoughts and opinions."

Honestly, I think it is a great effort! I've been following your build thread elsewhere (and now here) so I'm familiar with your truck up to this point. Really I don't get the "backyard" feel from this truck. Don't change the theme, stick with your original plan. Too easy to derail a build when the mind wanders . The frame turned out great and in the process you realized a mistake, did what you needed to correct it and moved forward. Actually I like this frame much more than the morphed TF2 hybrid. The metal putty on the Yota diffs is certainly thinking outside the box and as far as I've seen, you're the first to try it. The only thing I see so far on this truck that were it mine I would be a little hesitant, the plastic leaf springs. Please don't take that as being anything more than honest. It's a creative solution but I'm not certain they are going to last. I say this because building a similar truck, these things are...HEAVY. I don't know how you plan on driving it but you've got more weight than I do in wheels and tires, longer wheelbase and steel bumpers. I hope I'm completely wrong and they work for you but I'm just not sure.

That's enough of my babbling! You're building one heck of a cool truck and lots of people are waiting to see it done. Keep at it and give us updates!
    Thanks for your compliments and definitely for your honest opinion. I wanted to try to honor the military with this build, plus I love military vehicles, but I didn't think it world turn out good enough. But I'm going to stick with the original theme and stay focused. As for the plastic leafs, I was also concerned about there durability so. just yesterday I changed them a little. I purchased one of those flexy metal rulers from my job. It was perfect for what I wanted to do. I cut four helper leafs out of it for that longest top leaf spring (wish I took pics of the process). I cut the plastic leaf down and put them in between each leaf as a spacer to see if it would give it more flex. It worked! I'm thinking of replacing the plastic spacers with small rubber washers for more durability. Again thanks for being honest.

There you go! Tested and working. Would be interesting to see a comparison when the truck is up and running between the spacers and the O-rings.

There you go! Tested and working. Would be interesting to see a comparison when the truck is up and running between the spacers and the O-rings.
    Lol!!! Hope you're still following this build when I finally get it "up and running". Looks like a long time before I get to that stage. Still got a lot of parts to buy and life's priorities have taken from my rc budget. I'm setting funds aside little by little. So in time I'm GONNA get this beast rolling. But here's a nice flex shot.

Nice dually flex!
    It'll get there, no worries. Just a hobby so there isn't a schedule. Pick away at it when you can.

Nice dually flex!
    It'll get there, no worries. Just a hobby so there isn't a schedule. Pick away at it when you can.
    Thanks 25aniv. Will do.

Started scratch building another Cummins engine. This one is going to hold the motor and planetary gearbox inside.

Progress on the Cummins. Worked on the front section (made it removable), intake and exhaust manifold, and the valve covers. Very tedious work but loved every second. Still got a lot to do to the engine and then after that the big step..... A scratch built transmission!

Mocked

Cummins progress. Worked on the diesel fuel pump (aka p-pump), fuel lines, and the little nuts and bolts detail. If I knew scratch building was this fun I would have been doing it a long time ago. Still got to build the intake tubes exhaust manifold tubes and turbo. But that's for another time. My hands are tired lol.Thanks for looking.

Cummins progress. Exhaust headers, turbo, and intake tube installed.

Mocked up my idea for the internals of the transmission. A shortened driveshaft and a carrier bearing. Will it work? Cross your fingers.

Started working on building the transmission housing. Tried to figure out how to make the bell housing. All my scratch building attempts were a fail. Then I came across the perfect bell housing rummaging through my storage draw. One of my son's old baby bottle tops.

Transmission is complete. Just need a little detail. The black part is actually a usb charger plug.