Gelande 18th

Thread: (Trail Finder) Tips and Tricks

Default (Trail Finder) Tips and Tricks

Use this thread to discuss the Trail Finder kit.

Please keep the discussion here about the Trail Finder truck. Don't clog the area with to much chit chat.

Use this thread to post Tips and Tricks that you have found.

Post about any things that you think could be improved on, added to, or changed.

Keep this thread going in a positive direction. No need to bash any members, the kit, or RC4WD.

Thanks
    Tom

Originally Posted by team-energy

hi

mike, the rc4wd guy kindly asked me to post this in here, probably, it's gonna be a sticky thread.

as all trail finder owners know, the suspension of the kit is very hard and it's not much better after removing two of the three leaf springs and the internal spring.

i found the main reason, why the suspension was that sticky. it's the o-rings and the plastic seal which seal the shock box and the piston rod. they're absolutely useless in this shock, because it isn't filled with oil. just remove these 2 o'rings and the seal, reassemble the shock and suspension finally works.

the pic shows you which parts have to be removed

like this, the shock is just a dummy and not working anymore, as it already should if the internal spring is removed but the seals are to tight.

regards

sascha from team energy switzerland

Default Simple rock sliders

I wanted to make up some rock sliders to protect the body,but didnt want to use a torch to weld.
    I came up with some U shape brass length,tubing and 3mm threaded rod.This way you can use the surplus holes on the chassis rails to mount the sliders in a simple way.
    Hopefully the pics show how it goes together.Ask any questions if i dont make sense My brain moves quicker than i type so sometimes dont make things clear enough.

top view

from below and how it goes together

I want that bumper!!!

nice idea... I tried to run the links to be parallel too, but when I did it, the tie-rod would hit the bottom of the servo horn when the suspension was compressed vertically.... I had plenty of flex, but no vertical suspension movement... I might try this

I used cut down Tamiya Frog/Brat drive shaft boots to put on the prop shafts to stop crap getting in.Not tried but the RC4WD shock boot might work if its trimmed

Tamiya Toyota body mounting to the TrailFinder.

Here are some photos of what I did to set the body at what I think is the proper height.

I used (2) plastic body mounts from Associated with (2) small M3 screws for the rear. I also used (1) small peice of delrin, (2) 6mm spacers a (2) M3 screws for the front.

Front mount adjustment

Rear posts

Body on shots

It has the great height.

Looks good hope i can get mine to look that good

2 thumbs up
    Rock it don't roll it
    baked not fryed

Default Shocks for trail finder

If anyone has tried this -- please let us know what works .....

1.Can one use the 110mm shocks for the trail finder?Or does that interfere with something else ? Or loose articulation !
    2.Wich gearbox should one use -- just going to do crawling so I thought the heavy duty one -- any suggestions ?
    3.Motors -- 540 brusless or brushed ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    If anyone has tried this -- please let us know what works .....

1.Can one use the 110mm shocks for the trail finder?Or does that interfere with something else ? Or loose articulation !
    2.Wich gearbox should one use -- just going to do crawling so I thought the heavy duty one -- any suggestions ?
    3.Motors -- 540 brusless or brushed ?

Thanks
    1. ?
    2. R2 Will work just fine
    3. Either. The Corefire works okay in mine.

Default 100mm 110mm shocks

i got 2 sets (4) of the black 100mm shocks to use w/my yota axles and rc4wd 3 link.
    when mounted the rear looks lower than the front. the rear sits @ 135mm to the top of the shock tower while the fronts is @ 145mm.
    it seems i answered my own ? while measuring for thi post.
    should i use 110mm on the rear?
    thx

The Yota axels have different mounting points in the front and the rear. On the front axel, the shocks mounting point is on top of the axles, but on the rear axle its under.
    Yes you should use 100 mm up front and 110 mm in the back if your going to use the shocks mounting towers.

Talking stock shocks

I took the stock shocks apart and drilled 2 holes in the white piece at the top of the shock rods.then I put them back together leaving the big spring out.and I filled the shocks up with 30w oil.they seem to work will. I get alot more wheel travel.know there no reason to go out and buy new shocks.

Default shipping

what the shipping cost on t-finder rtr?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunce View Post
    what the shipping cost on t-finder rtr?
    Put it in your shopping cart and select your country and zip code.

It will give you the options.

Thanks

found it thanks

Does the 1st gen TF off road leaf kit come with yota axles or? are the housings plastic or alum?