• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rckcrwlr
    Administrator
    • Jul 2005

HOW TO: Prepare Axles for Comp

So you got your Bullys (fill in your axle name)...now what are you going to do.

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Go to Disney World???
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Nope!
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Tear them apart!!!

• Rckcrwlr
    Administrator
    • Jul 2005

Please note that I am using Bully Axles because it is what I have...This will go for any axle.

First thing to do is admire them...

Next is to start disassembling them.
    NOW STOP
    Take your time, be organized to make sure you can get them back together. Note what screws go where and how things are assembled...Pictures work great.

Notice how I lay things out as they go together...

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
      Administrator
      • Jul 2005

During dis-assembly, take the time to the screws and also the bearings and XVD's (CVD's) for smoothness and no binding. [Hint: if the manufacturer offers a screw and bearing kit, buy it...you will not regret it]

Get yourself a high quality grease. Two that I would recommend is RC4wd Monster Lubrication Oil for Transmission & Axle or Rocksmith Engineering Gear Jelly.

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
        Administrator
        • Jul 2005

Once everything is disassembled, take a moment and threadlock all the screws first.

The process I do it:

1. Add a drop on the screw about half way up.
        2. Use your finger and drag the drop to the end of the screw
        3. Clean up any globs
        4. Let dry

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
          Administrator
          • Jul 2005

Once everything is disassembled:

Remove any existing grease and debris before adding new grease.

Making a note how the gears go in, remove them and apply the grease...be generous.

Once you assemble the case, use one of the axles to make sure there is no binding and everything is running smoothly.

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
            Administrator
            • Jul 2005

It is now time to reassemble the axle.

The process I use on aluminum cases is this.

I start the screw by hand, and then putting hex driver, not the handle, between my index finger and thumb, I spin the screw until I can't tighten it any more.

I tighten them diagonally a little at a time to ensure there is no binding and firm contact of surfaces.

Add the XVD's (CVD's) and test for no binding.

With the Bully's, I have found that if you add just a drop of red thread lock to the king pin screws, after put through the brass bushing, they don't loosen.

Tighten the screws down and then back them off until the knuckles are free moving.

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
              Administrator
              • Jul 2005

Case Protection:

I like to keep my axles looking good so I opted to add some chassis protector to them.

This is a very easy process and helps with saving the axles and also sliding over more stuff.

I prefer JConcepts Chassis Protection Sheets (#1155)...AB Charles Stocks them.

1. I rough cut it to size, making sure that it is slightly bigger than I need.
              2. I then wipe down the surface with denatured alcohol or motor spray.
              3. I then slowly start at one end and as I pull the backing, I press it to the surface.
              4. Once attached, I trim to size by angling the knife towards the sheets to get a beveled edge not to catch on anything.
              5. I usually will go back with a heat gun or hair dryer and press it on better. This will eliminate any lose areas.

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                Administrator
                • Jul 2005

There you have it...now do the rear and you are ready to hit the rocks with confidence.

Get in the habit of checking the screws before each comp to avoid something loosening up in the middle of running a course.

Comment

• Racer4Life
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2008

Nice writeup.

How much did Cow pay for the ad?

Comment

• skrot
                    • Dec 2011

I agree, nice write up..I use the widow's and I drilled a tiny hole in them,grabed some oldschool bmx/road bike grease caps for bottom brackets so you can lube them like a zert would work.ill have to get a pic of it. there really small and a plastic surenge with grease works great to fill them. I did do a complete dismantle to start though,drilled my ports,greased the crap out of it.Ive used the ports once and it worked great!
                    Im triing to finish but forgot what I have done

Comment

• Rckcrwlr
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by skrot View Post
                      I agree, nice write up..I use the widow's and I drilled a tiny hole in them,grabed some oldschool bmx/road bike grease caps for bottom brackets so you can lube them like a zert would work.ill have to get a pic of it. there really small and a plastic surenge with grease works great to fill them. I did do a complete dismantle to start though,drilled my ports,greased the crap out of it.Ive used the ports once and it worked great!
                      I would love to see that.

Comment

• Just Zach
                        • Sep 2009

Nice writeup. A little bit of maintenance goes a long way.
                        Team RC4WD

Comment

Working...
                        X