My First Truck : Marlin Crawler Trail Finder 2 RTR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Truck : Marlin Crawler Trail Finder 2 RTR

Hi , So I am new to RC and just ordered my first Truck after looking for about 3 weeks . It should arrive in about a week or so , I am very excited .

I hope to use this thread to track my progress and ask questions , thanks in advance for all the help .

My Order
    Item ID QTY Item Name
    Z-S0767 1 RC4WD Marlin Crawler Rear Tube Bumper for Trail Finder 2
    Z-S0209 2 Scale Steel Punisher Shaft (100mm - 130mm / 3.94" - 5.12") 5mm
    Z-S1789 1 RC4WD Marlin Crawler Front Winch Bumper w/Stinger for Trail Finder 2
    Z-E0016 1 LED Basic Lighting System For Mojave II 2/4 Door Body
    Z-RTR0034 1 RC4WD Marlin Crawler Trail Finder 2 RTR w/Mojave II Crawler Body Set

Things to Do when I get the truck
    1. Read though the instructions and put thread lock on all the bolts that the instructions point out where you need it .
    2. Charge battery fully following the instructions .
    3. Replace Drive shafts with Punishes Shafts .

Questions
    1. What thread lock should I use ?
    2. Do I need to grease any thing , If so what should I use and where should I put it ?
    3. Do you suggest I get a Lipo battery for this and if so what should I get ?
    4. Do I need to change the jumper on the ESC , I see some people say it comes set to Lipo , should I leave it set to this even when using the NiMH battery it comes with ?
    5. How can I connect the lights , Do I just plug it into the Receiver and it gets power from there ?
    6. If I wanted to add a winch how would I do this with out getting 4 channel receiver , could I some how just connect the LEDs to the battery some how or would it burn them out ?

Hi darksheep,thats a great truck you chose!I have one so i I'll be happy to answer your questions! 1:you should use blue medium thred lock since it will be easy to remove down the toad,try TLR lock it's only 5$and works great!2:maybe inside the axle housings if you plan on wet driving,if so get cow RC udder butter,it's perfect for that application. 3:actually, the NIMH pack that comes with the rig is good for more then an hour!and if you plan on making an interior,the lipo might be a bit big(high quality lipo RX packs work well however).the tf2 does not come with lipo detection on,and I do suggest that you don't run a NIMH pack with lvd on(it won't harm anything, but the ESC will think the "lipo" is under voltage,thus resulting in much shorter run times).5:that's exactly right!if you get rc4wd's Mojave light kit,it has a plug ready for just that and has a quick release plug so can mount and remove your body freely!6:if you want to add a winch,check out rc4wd's warn 9.5cti winch and their wireless winch controller (#z-s1092)it comes with a niffty little hand control and only needs a separate RX battery!also your pre-drive check list is perfect!and welcome to the forum!I look forward to seeing your truck!
    --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--
    --ZACHAUDET::GASGUZZLER--
    --LAURENTIAN RC STUDIOS ON YOU TUBE,INSTAGRAM
    TWITTER,FACEBOOK,PINTEREST AND TUMBLR
    --TINY TRUCKER'S COMMUNITY FACEBOOK GROUP--
    --ON THE SCALE BUILDERS GUILD--

https://www.youtube.com/c/LaurentianRCStudios

Comment

Hi , small update I got my order late last night and took it out the box must say wow just wow love it out the box looks so good . Plan to do all the checks and do some assembly this weekend cant wait .

I have also ordered an interior and winch for it so look foreword to playing with it , but would rather do it slow and steady and build it right

Thanks for the reply and all the tips Gasguzzler

Comment

No problem! It was my pleasure, I also look forward to seeing what you do with,anything special planned for it?if you wanna check mine out,it's titled gasguzzler's beater hilux.it's in the 1.55/1.9 section,good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

--RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Originally posted by Gasguzzler View Post
          No problem! It was my pleasure, I also look forward to seeing what you do with,anything special planned for it?if you wanna check mine out,it's titled gasguzzler's beater hilux.it's in the 1.55/1.9 section,good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
          Thank will do .

My plan for now is to get it running and then start to make it as scale as I can . I want it look like a scale truck some one converted to be a crawler . So that is why I went with the Marlin body and got the metal interior to go in the truck even though it cost so much I like the roll cage and the extra detail .

What I am looking for now

I am not on the hunt for a good looking and in scale drive ! The RC4WD drive looks cool but don't like the look of the head . So not sure what I will do might have to google .
          One off the beed lock wheels that come with the Marlin RTR, I want to add a spare wheel but don't want to pay 60 usd for 4 rims when I only need one .

Question

What interior are you using for your truck any pics yet of the interior ? Also what paint cans do you normal use for painting plastic product from RC4WD, are Tamiya spray cans fine

Comment

Hi darksheep,for the one wheel you need,check rc4wd, they most likely sell just one of that type,I know how much it sucks to buy 4 when you only need one!about the interior,I custom made my one out of aluminum, though I'm thinking of swapping it for a cchand one down the road,here are some photos of it.and to answer your paint question, I use krylon paint+primer most of the times,but I often use tamiya "ts" paints as well.if I understand well your looking for a driver?I'm using a figure from plan b toys,or check out rc4wd's "scale driver figure" (#z-s0190)he's actually made for the tf2 hilux!
            --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Hey there darksheep,I saw you were asking some questions about batterys,winchs and lights.so I thought that I'd share my setup with you!for a battery, I'm using a onyx 1300mah 2s lipo.for the winch,I decided to run it independently on rc4wd's wireless winch controller using a 1200mah RX NIMH pack(work super good and doesn't cut you run times down!),and for lights,I'm runing them directly to the rx,and since they take maybe half a volt evey hour or so,you won't lose any run time there either!hope this helps!
              --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Hi , so a small update on the build I am waiting for delivery and then I should have every thing I need for the truck so far .

Unfortunately when inspecting all the bolts and screws I found the screw that hold the transition bracket on the left was really loose and barley held in place. I took it out and took the transmission out the truck to find that who ever assembled truck striped the thread in the mounting plate and the transmission was only help up on that side because of the little protrusion on the mounting plate that goes into the other hole

So I have ordered 2 new ones as it always pays to have a spare. So I started working on what I could last night . I tested the winch and lights , I also started preping the boy kit sanding and smoothing out some things getting ready for paining .

Some pics from last nights work

28977571077_d775663521_z.jpg30044975638_8a151b5c33_z.jpg43865877972_95ec9e5ef4_z.jpg

Comment

Sad to hear about your transmission problemsl know how much it sucks to have to replace parts on a new truck.it seems like your making progress on the electronics so far however!also hows that interiror coming?looks good from the photos you posted!have you decided on a color yet?if its to hard to decide,basic black always looks great!-lol!wish you much luck on the transmission issue,if you were closer to me,i'd give you the stripped parts,i've got those in a parts bin in my shop.i'll keep my eye on this build!​​​​​
                  --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

So got the replacement parts and finished adding a new receiver to go with my Spektrum DX5R also hooked up the winch so took it for a test drive today .

It performed well , a bit bouncy/stif on the suspension but that is to be expected from every thing I have read will just drive more and break it in .

A few pics of me testing some stuff out , near my house , need to find some good calling places.

30137919358_a26f504662_b.jpg43100625805_d8eb32be3d_b.jpg
                    43100626025_3eb21301b0_b.jpg

Comment

So managed to do some more work on the body today . I installed some leds 6 in the front (4 white and 2 orange) and then 6 red leds in the rear tail lights.

I also finished repainting the front grill , when I got the crawler and pealed off the protective plastic it peeled some paint off the front bumper so i resprayed it with Tamiya TS-14 Black .

When I sprayed the grill i decided to underline the lights with black as well , so instead of the lights being chrom on the bottom and then the black of the bumper its a nice straight line, some thing small but I thought i would make it my own . Still have the interior to do and some decals on the body but getting there

43961395722_95f7b096d2_b.jpg42200742410_6233c475af_b.jpg

Comment

That rig is looking awesome!I look forward to seeing the interior installed,should be nice!btw,the best way to get a better suspension is to break it in!so just keep driving this rig and it'll get better and better!also,you can now see mine in action on my YouTube channel,Laurentian radio control studios!
                        --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Working...
                        X