Raffle-1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 25aniv View Post
    Good to know! That won't bother me at all. There are no such thing as comps around here and trailing is pretty much done by one's self so that can get a little boring but I enjoy the building and tinkering more anyway
    I crawled alone for over two years before joining a local club. I started out with a LOSI Micro Crawler for Christmas 2009, the next Christmas I got an SCX-10 Honcho kit. I built that and crawled on rocks in a ditch for most of 2011 and part of 2012 before joining a local club. I got interested in comps a few years later.

I understand the alone game. It was fun nonetheless.
    <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers
    sigpic

Comment

I addressed the short driveshafts by ordering some of the RC4WD Ultra Punisher Shafts (93.7mm - 115mm / 3.69" - 4.53") 5mm Hole. These are a plastic bodied driveshaft with metal couplings. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a set of pre-production units to test last year, and I liked what I saw. I currently run those driveshafts on agent ORANGE, and I think these production units will do great on this truck.

Here is a comparison to the metal ones I took off. Both are near full extension.

Here they are installed. The front does touch the transmission at full stuff, but it shouldn't interfere with performance.

Another item I needed to check off the list was side windows. I completed this small project on agent ORANGE. Below are some photos where I made those side windows.

They are hard to see, but they are in.

I also secured Bernie in the interior with some black E-6000. I didn't take a photo of that because it was just gluing her in the seat.
      Tennessee Scale Crawlers
      sigpic

Comment

The work continues as I try to knock stuff off the list.

One thing that is needed on most G2 chassis electronic set-ups is a pair of extended motor wires. I warmed up the soldering gun on the workbench in my sub-freezing garage last evening as I prepared to add some female bullet connectors to a pair of motor wires I had removed from another motor a while back. Turns out, they were the length I needed to place the ESC in the stock location, which is a requirement in the C2Spec class this truck will compete in.

Now, here is the one thing I have been waiting to show you that I think total changes the attitude of this truck -- a TF2 Marlin Crawler front bumper.

For those familiar with the G2 chassis and those running the Cruiser body set, you know the front bumper can be a drag (pun). It protrudes way out front greeting everything in it's path. While I have continued to use it with some success on agent ORANGE, this truck would benefit from some addition approach angle because of the smaller tires. So, I brainstormed a minute or two and thought, "What about a TF2 bumper?" I tried a stock TF2 bumper that I had lying around for proof of concept, and it looked great, and it provided the approach angle I was after. It also still had a place for a winch. So, I had my good friends at RC4WD ship me a RC4WD Marlin Crawler Front Winch Bumper w/Stinger for Trail Finder 2. As you may know, the TF2 chassis bumper mounts work on the front of the G2 chassis. For now, I used a #1 plastic mount from a TF2 kit. I will replace the plastic one with an RC4WD #1 Aluminum Bumper Mount For Trail Finder 2 once they are back in stock.

With the stock placement of the servo on the G2 chassis, the bumper would have to be modified to get it fully in the bumper mount without touching the servo mount. Out came the dremel and a cut-off disk.

I only cut the one bumper thing that would interfere with the servo mount. I took off two of the four available holes, and got into the third hole. It worked as expected once modified.

Another modification I had to do (that I didn't show) was cutting off the ends of the bumper to clear the front fenders. I simply installed the bumper, marked at the fender, and back to the dremel and the cut-off disk. I may paint the newly exposed metal, but a sharpie worked for now.

I added an RC4WD 1/10 Warn 9.5cti Winch and an RC4WD 1/10 Warn Warn Hawse Fairlead (Black). I think it looks great, and gives the truck a little attitude. It looks more like the ICON version.
        Tennessee Scale Crawlers
        sigpic

Comment

Oh man, that TF2 bumper does look awesome on there! Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by 25aniv View Post
            Oh man, that TF2 bumper does look awesome on there! Love it!
            Thanks!
            Tennessee Scale Crawlers
            sigpic

Comment

Worked on a few items this past weekend. I added some RC4WD Tough Armor Side Slider for G2 Cruiser, and worked on waterproofing the BEC.

Here is the BEC propped up waiting for the liquid tape to dry. I take a kid's medicine syringe you get at the local pharmacy (they are free if you ask for them), and pull in some liquid electrical tape, and then fill the void in the BEC from both ends. It takes a few tries to get all the air out and the void full of liquid tape. I have tried removing the blue heat shrink cover and painting them, then adding new heat shrink, but that is more work and material than this method. I've used this method the past few year with no failures. *Knock on wood*

I need to add decals, cut/paint/install the inner fenders, and place electronics, then this one should be good to go.
              Tennessee Scale Crawlers
              sigpic

Comment

I need to add decals.
                Check.
                I need to cut/paint the inner fenders.
                Check.
                I need to place electronics.
                Check.
                I need to install the inner fenders.
                Last thing left to do. They will be installed tonight.

No photos. Too busy going in and out of the garage applying spray plasti-dip to the inner fenders.
                Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                sigpic

Comment

So, I didn't have the cojones to run this rig because I didn't want to damage it. The courses would have definitely left a mark (and broken pieces). We are using the Class 2 courses for Class 2 Spec, and (as bad as I hate to say it) this rig will not do as well as other lexan bodied rigs on those courses. I think I will reserve this rig for G6 type events. I just can't beat on it like I did agent ORANGE.

I still plan to add an aluminum bumper mount, and maybe a few other things. I'll update as I make changes.
                  Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                  sigpic

Comment

Here's what this rig weighs, ready to run with battery and all.

And, a look at the chassis with electronics in place, ready to run. You can see the inner fenders installed, also.

Last edited by btoungette; 02-02-2018, 12:49 PM.
                    Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X