Top Gear Hammon'ds Cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Gear Hammon'ds Cruiser

I'm going to have a go at the Cruiser Richard Hammond drove in the Top Gear Special where they travelled from Bolivia to Chile. I'm going to go for the pimped version as featured in the later half of the episode as I've already done a more traditonal Cruiser.

In fact I'll be using the chassis from the aforementioned Cruiser for this build. I did originally do a custom conversion to leaf springs but whilst it looked very scale it never really performed the way it should. I have therefore used the RC4WD conversion kit for the Gelande II.

Having fitted it I was immediately unhappy with the front springs, far too short and too far away from the front of the chassis rails. Fortunately I had some longer leafs in the parts box and managed to incorporate those instead.

For wheels and tyres I'm probably going to use these 8 hole Axial beadlocks along with some of these Gearhead beadlock rings. I know, ghastly plarstic but I can't find anything in metal that matches the original wheels.

Frustratingly I already have these 1.7 wheels from RC4WD which would be perfect except they're exactly the wrong way around, I need silver whees with black beadlocks. Using my existing body here as an example I think the ride height is about right.

Bits I've ordered that are on the way are the CCHand rear bumper and a tough armour roll bar to match those seen here:-

I already have a new in box Cruiser body kit that I bought some months ago. Tyres were going to be 1.9 Dick Cepek Extreme Country at 106mm. They're the closest I could find in terms of size and tread pattern but I'm wondering now if they're a little small.

On the right, the Extreme Country tyres, on the left 1.7 Goodyear Wranglers.

Both doors are out, just need to clean up the cuts, went ok, phew. I also added in a fuel filler cap which was actually one I bought from DJ Designs for a Defender but it fits well.

There are suprisingly few dents on Hammond's Cruiser considering the abuse he put it though but I tried to add the obvious ones that I could see.

There's a pretty subtle one on the front wing that just causes it to drop a little from the horizontal.

I noticed the rear tailgate is featureless on the original and wider than the one on the RC4WD body so I'm planning to cut out the latter and replace it with a piece of styrene.

Also added another small dent near the bottom.

Then I chopped up the interior, I wanted to get rid of the ugly bits exposed by removing the doors.

I cut out some styrene to fit.

I now need to make a decision on lowering the bed which is far too high. I'd like to lower it so it matches up with the bottom of the rear doors which I have now removed.

I also noticed there's another dent on the original and added it on the rear corner.

A couple of bits have arrived, the number plates and beadlock rings.

I've trimmed down the lower portion of the light/grill surround as I noticed they're thinner at the bottom on 1:1s.

Cut out and fitted the flat rear tailgate.

Dropped and modified the rear bed.

It's slowly coming together, still waiting on a few bits and pieces to arrive.

Comment

Started work on some detailing and made this license plate holder with beaten up plate. Looking forward to attaching it at a suitably jaunty angle.

Comment

Well the more I look at Hammond's Cruiser the more I notice how different it is to the standard RC4WD kit and it's dawning on me that this is going to take a lot longer than I originally anticipated.

However, onwards. I've added some styrene to the windscreen frame.

I've also noticed the dash is quite different so have started trying to mod it.

Hopefully it will make more sense when it's finished

Comment

A lovely new rear bumper from CCHand arrived and I duly smashed one of the light lenses. I attached one of the bumperettes and then after a quick rummage through the kids' toys found a round peg which, after a coat of Tamiya flat aluminium works rather well as the additional bump stop (don't know correct term) as seen on Hammond's Cruiser.

A bit of scenic rust and then some Tamiya weathering and I feel I've got this pretty close to the original.

Comment

Despite trawling through the Top Gear footage it's very difficult to get a clear side view of the passenger seat and below. This is one of the best I can get.

So I'm fairly sure that on Hammond's Cruiser the passenger seat sits above a fuel tank like this but in black:-

So I made this which hopefully is similar:-

I also chopped out the under section of the dash and tried to rebuild it to look like the front heater unit.

Comment

It's proving difficult to find any seats for this build, nothing on the market is big enough as far as I can tell. As a stop gap solution I've pinched the seats out of my Team Raffee Defender, cut them in half and widened them with some styrene sheet.

It has worked reasonably well, the height seems OK and they look about the right size now. I chopped the headrests off, trimmed them and re-attached with some grub screws.

I'm not keen on the stick on felt, I think I'll swap that out for something else.

Next task, transmission tunnel cover.

Comment

I have been doing some work on the seat mounts. It's difficult to get a clear view of Hammond's set up so I'm basing it on this sort of thing.

I can see from this picture that the support bracket for the driver's seat is the same.

Using some square tube styrene stuffed with some piano wire I bent up some supports and cut out some mounting plates and a bracket from some sheets.

Taking the place of Hammond is Snake Plissken. He stands at 8" tall, Hammond is in reality not much taller at about 5' 5". I've calculated that the Cruiser body from RC4WD is 1/8 scale meaning I need a figure just over 8" which is very difficult to find. Plastic surgery and a wardrobe change for Snake may therefore be required.

I got the outer shell sprayed with the Rover Sand Glow. I used red primer as I noticed this was used on the original

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, I think overall it's a bit yellower (if that's a word) than Hammond's but I attacked it with some Scotch Brite pads to give a fadded paint look and this brought it a bit closer.

I've also done a little weathering and detailing. I scratched it up a little bit with some needle files, used some Agrax Earthshade to both bring out the details and to dirty it up a bit.

I've also applied some of the badges and the number plate and holder I made a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the Toyota badge on the back looks a little big and the number plate looks a little small, the latter being 1/10 while the body is 1/8. I may have to look at getting a plate custom made and printed.

Comment

I've done some more detailing on the body, I've added the front badge and the side indicators suitably off center.

I've also added the windscreen. I didn't use the kit one as I didn't want the ugly lugs showing.

I've also done some more work on the rear.

Comment

Nice job. Impressive.
                    <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
                    Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by btoungette View Post
                      Nice job. Impressive.
                      Thank you sir :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pardonmyn00b
                        Such detail! Great work!
                        Thank you muchly sir!
                        I got back to working on the Cruiser, it has been neglected of late. I got the outer shell sprayed with the Rover Sand Glow. I used red primer as I noticed this was used on the original

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, I think overall it's a bit yellower (if that's a word) than Hammond's but I attacked it with some Scotch Brite pads to give a fadded paint look and this brought it a bit closer.

I've also done a little weathering and detailing. I scratched it up a little bit with some needle files, used some Agrax Earthshade to both bring out the details and to dirty it up a bit.

I've also applied some of the badges and the number plate and holder I made a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the Toyota badge on the back looks a little big and the number plate looks a little small, the latter being 1/10 while the body is 1/8. I may have to look at getting a plate custom made and printed.

Comment

I continue to do little bits here and there. I've added in the welding marks on the rear bed where stays for a makeshift canopy were attached on the original. I had to work quite hard to chip the paint off, ironic given that on builds where I want good paint adhesion it seems to fall off if I brush it with fairy eyelashes.

Wonky sidelights have also been added.

I also took the springs out of the Old Man Emu shocks to soften things up and drop the ride height a little.

I've also painted the bed in matt black to match the original and added the front inner fenders.

Comment

Here with added metal work courtesy of Pete's Scale Fab Shop, great job Pete! A few more jobs for me to do before completion such as add a winch, some mudflaps and a rear spare tyre carrier. Also other details such as window stickers, wipers, sun shades etc. So close yet so far!

Now for operation Hammond. Try to turn Snake Plissken into something resembling Richard Hammond, ish.

Mullet trimmed and some stubble removed. Eye patch mirrored with filler to create sunglasses and trousers and boots covered with some Top Gear jeans. Jacket painted black and lots of dust and grime added.

I've also rusted up the front a little, added the front plate and started sorting out the winch.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I’ve also added the steering wheel. I didn’t use the supplied mount as it’s a bit feeble and slots in off center anyway. I instead drilled a new hole under the instrument binacle and carried on through to the firewall to give extra stability. I then drilled out the steering wheel to 6mm and used some internally threaded rod to mount it. I don’t know what the unit around the steering column is called but I need to make one to slide on.

Comment

Working...
                              X