Yota II knuckles binding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yota II knuckles binding

I just got the XVD axles for the Yota 2. When I put the knuckles back on they are binding when in a neutral(no left or right turn) position. When in a turning position both left and right have plenty of play and move freely. The screws are not tightened at all, they are just barely screwed in. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Originally posted by D110fan View Post
    I just got the XVD axles for the Yota 2. When I put the knuckles back on they are binding when in a neutral(no left or right turn) position. When in a turning position both left and right have plenty of play and move freely. The screws are not tightened at all, they are just barely screwed in. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
    Do you have a picture? are you sure you mounted the right XVD in the right Axle? Yota II XVD will not work in Yota I Axle without grinding.
    sigpic

Comment

I've had the same problem with the Yota II axles and the XVD's. Its because the key (flat spots) that go into the differential gear at the end of the axle are not long enough. As a result the axle sticks out a hair farther, and binds at center position where length is greatest. For myself, I made the flat spots a little longer (talking hundredths of an inch). This allows the key to sit a tad deeper in the diff-gear, the axle joint to sit flush in its carrier and lines the joint back up with the C-hub. I believe the differential gear is where the issue really is, but its hardened steel and hard to correct the depth using basic hobby tools.

Just remember, modifying any thing voids the warranty, and YMMV. Just sharing my experience.

The S.

Comment

I put XVD in a about 5-6 different Yota II front axles and never expierenced an issue!
        sigpic

Comment

Sizemore explained the exact issue better than I did with "and binds at center position where length is greatest." That explanation makes sense. I was thinking the axle itself was a hair too long and I was going to grind a couple hundredths of an inch off the end of the "key". After reading this I will attempt to just grind a little to make the "key" longer.

Comment

It may also be recommended to take the pinion carrier off, pull the diff gear to ensure you have no snags. The gear and axle are chemically blackened or parkerized, sometimes this creates just enough friction for it not to seat properly.

The S.

Comment

Working...
            X