TURBOFEST's RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TURBOFEST's RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Just as UPS tracking said, my shiny new RC4WD Trail Finder 2 was waiting for me at the door when I got home from work last night. My daughter and I tore into it immediately!

I'd really like to thank RC4WD for giving me the opportunity to get my hands on one of these kits. This Trail Finder 2 is amazing!

The first thing you see when you open the shipping box is the awesome box art. I honestly just looked at the box for about 10 minutes before I even opened it.

My girl approves!

Upon opening the TF2 box, you're immediatley slapped in the face with Awesome! They made sure that some of the TF2's most impressive attributes are the first thing that you see.

The direction booklet is very well done. Although, it did make me feel like I was back at work for a second lol. I stare at engineering drawings all day. The step by step build directions are very clear and easy to follow.

Each step lets you know what well marked bag of goodies to use.

Due to the fact that I'm a total wheel/tire whore, I couldnt resist assembling the 1.55 stamped steel white beadlocks and X3 compound 1.55 Mud Thrasher tires. They go together easy enough as long as you take your time. Oh, and make sure you line up the two halfs of the wheel unlike I did on the first one. DOHH!

All four wheels and tires took about 20 minutes to assemble. They look awesome together.

TEAM VP
    TEAM TCS
    TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
    TEAM WHITE LOTUS
    TEAM RC4WD

TEAM OTTSIX
    GSRCRC 2008 - 2012 2.2 & SUPER CLASS CHAMP!!

The parts for the chassis are all really nicely machined. The rear cross member and t-case cradle are little works of aluminum art.

After the leaf spring hangers are installed, the rock sliders and cab mounts are installed.

The t-case cradle, cross members and steering servo mount all go on next. All are machined aluminum and the fit and finish is top notch!

The Hammer T-case is completely sick!

More to come....
    TEAM VP
    TEAM TCS
    TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
    TEAM WHITE LOTUS
    TEAM RC4WD

TEAM OTTSIX

Comment

Did some more work on the new TF2.

I took a small departure from the directions when it came time to mount the leaf springs. Instead of removing the screws that hold the axle halves together and installing the screws from the top, i put longer cap head screws in from the bottom with 3mm nylock nuts on top of the leaf springs. This mounts the leaf springs while keeping the case halves tightly together. I also opted to use just the single leaf spring to keep the suspension low, soft and flexy. The kit comes with a full leaf pack.

For shocks, I opted to remove the pre-installed internal springs and filled them up with some 40wt. oil. Just be careful not to overtighten the shock caps cause it'll pinch the o-rings and cause the shocks to leak.

Next I mounted the uber sexy R3 transmission between the frame rails and tied it in with the transfer case. This transmission is simple awesome.

Again I took a very small step outside the directions by installing the kit steering linkage above the leaf springs. Everything cycles smoothly and I have better from end clearance. Bonus!

For the Transmission shifting servo I opted for a Hitec MG225. Since this servo is a mini, I had to get a little creative with the mounting. I just drilled and counterbored another hole for one of the servo mounts to accept the smaller servo. Because I'm using the MG225, I was able to mount the servo horn pointing down which give the shifting rod on the R3 a much better action. It shifts ultra smooth at any speed!

I got it all wired up temporarily with a trinity epic 35 turn motor, an FXR, Spektrum sr3100 rx and a 3s LIPO.

I'm behind everyone else, so I know you've all seen the yellow body thrown on, but I just had to get a look for myself. I can't wait to start painting this thing.

TEAM VP
      TEAM TCS
      TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
      TEAM WHITE LOTUS
      TEAM RC4WD

TEAM OTTSIX

Comment

I was thinking about putting a mini servo in mine for shifting. It would probably free up some space for extra interior detail don't you think?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
          I was thinking about putting a mini servo in mine for shifting. It would probably free up some space for extra interior detail don't you think?
          Second that one..

Comment

Originally posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
            Yeah, it would.

However, I had to mount it on the bottom holes of the servo in order to run the servo horn pointing down. I did that to get better action on the transmission shifting arm. If I mount it lower the arm gets into the t-case. I'll figure it out, I just threw it in there so I could drive it around.
            TEAM VP
            TEAM TCS
            TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
            TEAM WHITE LOTUS
            TEAM RC4WD

TEAM OTTSIX

Comment

I finally got around to getting some paint on my TF2. I've had this color sitting up on my workbench just screaming out to go on something cool. The TF2 made the cut.

First I sanded down some small molding marks that I didnt want on the body after paint and shot some primer on it for a good base.

I picked a Deep Matte Red color. I absolutely love it. I put a bunch of light coats on it.

I grabbed some pin striping tape to mask off the grill and window weatherstriping. It helped keep my lines somewhat straight. Straighter than I could've done by hand anyway. I used a silver paint marker for the grill and brushed on the matte black for the windows.

I threw the grill in the cab and tossed them on the truck real fast just for a glimpse. Again...I love it. A few more details and some Matte clear for a lil bit of protection and it should be good to go.

TEAM VP
              TEAM TCS
              TEAM HOLMES HOBBIES
              TEAM WHITE LOTUS
              TEAM RC4WD

TEAM OTTSIX

Comment

very nice color...

Comment

Working...
                X