No announcement yet.

Toyota Truck for Trucking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And any idea on your kings in the rear of ur tf2?

Comment

good job! i really like your tf2

it would take a younger driver!

Comment

Originally posted by glamis313 View Post
        And any idea on your kings in the rear of ur tf2?
        Yes, I used some small, maybe at most, 1/4" spacers between the shock and the mount plate.

Originally posted by Dirty Bastard View Post
        good job! i really like your tf2

it would take a younger driver!

But a younger driver wouldn't respect the age of the vehicle!

I did a miniature amount of work today.

I wasn't happy with the seats, seeing as they were already made by a machine, so I went ahead and cut up some scraps from an old bench seat and made a couple buckets.

I also started a crate to hide the secret contraption. Comedy has yet to be added to the exterior of the crate.

I feel like more may have been accomplished, but it wasn't worthy of a digital picture.

Comment

[QUOTE=imthatguy;37292]Yes, I used some small, maybe at most, 1/4" spacers between the shock and the mount plate.

Thank you I'll give it a go tomorrow

Comment

My kings are installed and fully functional thanks for the tip on the spacers, worked like a charm!

Comment

I started painting today.

Why is it so lumpy you ask? I'm a terrible painter, that's why.

Just kidding. That's good old Kosher salt. I laid down some darker, rusty red colour beforehand, to give this truck a weather beaten look. This is merely step one.

Once the paint cures, I wash it under hot water to dissolve the salt and reveal the other colour underneath. Fun.

Comment

Here's step one completed. You can see how the darker colour shows through where the salt was. It's got a nice lumpy surface, just like weather beaten paint would bubble. Awesome.

Hooray for straight lines.

Comment

More paint work. Lots of weathering to go. Need to flat it out before more weathering happens. I'm quite pleased with the progress.

As for weathering, I use a combination of techniques. First, is using some amazing paint products from the good folks at Warhammer. They make some incredible paints and washes that are a must-have in your paint arsenal. Check out their website for more details. I used their washes for all the panel lines and some early line defining. I also used Sophisticated Finishes for some rust elements as well. More to come.

Comment

Just wow! Your Hilux and the paint job is absolute amazing, i love it!
                    Maybe you can explain a few steps how you do weathering - i love the look of the "used" truck!

Can´t wait to see the next pics :-)

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                      Just wow! Your Hilux and the paint job is absolute amazing, i love it!
                      Maybe you can explain a few steps how you do weathering - i love the look of the "used" truck!

Can´t wait to see the next pics :-)

Gerry
                      I'd be happy to explain more of my weathering techniques.

Today I used a new product I found at the hobby shop.

Pretty good stuff for adding a dusty, weathered appearance. I made a ton of progress in the paint and detailing department. Here's some pics to prove it.

You can see there's a fair bit of weathering. You know it's time to stop when you think it might not be enough. At least, that's my experience.

Here's some detail shots.

Comment

Filthy windshield.

Mystery Animal crate.

Exhausting.

Comment

Since this needs to be done soon, I focused my attention on a lot of stuff not worth taking pictures of. Buttoning down the electronics, setting EPA's, Trims, and programming drag brakes (no Holmes Hold this year). Making sure the balloons are watertight, attaching the HeyOK winch controller, etc. Lots of super boring stuff that I wouldn't normally spend so much time on, but want to make sure I've done it right.

Painted a 3D printed head I was shown at a local comp by a nice man with glasses. Shamelessly ripped off the idea of painting eyes on the glasses. Masterstroke Dana.

Didn't have another wiper on hand so used a rag. I've seen this done before. Works!

Made sure that my primer matched the primer on the full-size Trailblazer. Generis should appreciate this.

Now if only MTHead would return my PM's I could be finished...

Comment

I'm happy to report that I'm essentially done. All that's missing is a licence plate.

A few tiny details between yesterday and today. I flatted out and rusted the wheels to better fit with the rest of the build. Added a bunch of things in the bed, including some spilled paint. Darn it! Pobody's Nerfect. I also added a wired remote for the winch. I mean, how else will he control it?

Wait a sec, what's going on there?!

Yep, functioning exhaust.

I ran a 6v Smoke Generator unit meant for model boats via a battery (so I don't have to have it running all the time) and hid it in that wooden box I made. Hooked it up to the exhaust and presto, scale hilarity.

I'm going to put it through it's paces this week and make sure everything's working properly. If I had one wish, it would be for different shocks. These Kings are nice, but don't feel very accurate. I'll see if I can organize getting some Emu's before the 21st. Even the Superlift Steering Damper doesn't seem quite right.

Breakdown:

Custom Toyota Trailblazer body by Mr. N00b
                            RC4WD TF2 chassis converted to 3/4 link
                            R3 Single Speed Transmission
                            Holmes 35T Torqumaster
                            Holmes BR-XL
                            3S Battery
                            HobbyKing Most Powerful Extra Brushless Servo
                            RC4WD King Shocks 90 & 100mm
                            HeyOK 4 Amp Winch Controller 3Racing Winch
                            1.7 RC4WD Baja Claws

Comment

Your rig is absolutely awesome - my mouth is wide open

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                                Your rig is absolutely awesome - my mouth is wide open
                                Thank you sir.

I've made a few modifications...

I decided after the ECSC that 3/4 link setup was just too much for a top heavy truck like this. With the added weight of the battery box and smoker unit, it really needed to be back on leaf springs. Also, to save weight, I switched to the plastic bumper off the Bruiser.

This setup is sooo much better. Still a great amount of flex, but not so much that body roll pulls the whole thing over.

Comment

Working...
                                X