No announcement yet.

plan B

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I got a new decal this past weekend, a prize for completing the last goal of this build - to win at least one event. (Check.)

The rig did great. I continue to be impressed with the 1.55 Pit Bull Growlers. I didn't miss the fender flares and sliders reaching out touching gates either. I did a quick once-over and everything seemed to be good to go for next month. Now the question is do I continue to comp with this rig, or complete the other Class 1 on the table?

Here's a photo I snapped at the end of the course...

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers
    sigpic

Comment

Not a lot to update on, other than to add a photo from my recent trip to Disney, Oklahoma.

Once I got settled down on my first course of the weekend, things were great. My nerves have to settle because of all the people watching and the judge and the timer, etc. So, my first course was the worst for me. The other two courses were fine. The rig did what it should have - no issues. If I had to say I had an issue with something, it would be the turning radius. That (the lack of steering) got me a few reverse penalties in some tight spots. We all know how to correct that (different c-hubs, knuckles, axles shafts), but that's not what this build was about. It still managed a fourth place finish (3rd was one point better). Having only driven this rig a total of five times (in five events), it has finished 4th twice, 3rd twice, and 1st once. So far, I'm happy with how it's performed.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
      Tennessee Scale Crawlers
      sigpic

Comment

Worked a little on this rig over the weekend past. I had planned on changing this rig up some and going a different route, but after texting with a friend, I decided to wait.

Jerrod74 and I will be attending the RECON G6 in Belleview, Florida on October 1st; so, I prepped this rig for that type of course.

Not many changes were needed. Even though I have only ran this rig in SORRCA style comps, I think this rig can handle the rigors of a G6. I wanted to change out the plastic rear upper links for some aluminum ones. I didn't do this upgrade during the initial build because of the goal of being six pounds or less. Well, since the final weigh-in, I have removed the fenders and trimmed the sliders. That netted enough weight savings to do the upgrade.

After installing the aluminum links and getting it RTR (battery, winch controller, pul-pal), it still maintains the goal of being less than six pounds.

In the first photo, you may notice a slight gap in the driveshaft/coupler connection. I noticed it as I was finishing up the upper link install. Looked like the screw that goes into the coupler through the driveshaft was not seated properly. I guess I thought the tightness meant it was properly tight, but that was not the case. So, it has ran that way for all the comps. I fixed it with some blue thread lock and a good, proper tightening of the screw.

As far as the G6 goes, this rig may be at a disadvantage simply on tire size alone because many folks run the largest tire allowed by the rules. This rig has 1.55 Pit Bull Growlers. I still think it will do just fine.

There are a few "not mandatory, but highly recommended" scale items that will need to be secured, but we have a plan for those items.
        Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
        Tennessee Scale Crawlers
        sigpic

Comment

Stole some time last night to secure the "recommended" scale items for the Florida G6 this weekend.

I had started the process with some old, clear E-6000. I was interrupted by a battery situation. When I came back to the task at hand, I realized the clear E-6000 was a little to old to use. I broke out some black and finished the job. It was "recommended" that we have a book titled "RECON G6 5 Years of Fun", toilet paper, pumpkins, and costumes for the driver & passenger.

I figure my driver & passenger are dressed like Star Trek folks; so, that will be their costumes.
          Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
          Tennessee Scale Crawlers
          sigpic

Comment

Finally got around to doing a once-over in preparation for the G6 this weekend. Everything looked fine. I found one driveshaft pin slightly loose. but some blue thread locker should take care of that. Everything worked - servo, motor, ESC, winch - like it should. I tried to fit two batteries so I could run them in parallel and save on battery changes, but that was a no-go. Battery tray was too tight for two batteries. I'll run some 2600mAh lipos; so, I should only use two or three batteries for the day stage.

I added some decals because we all know those help the rig do better.

Looking forward to the trip and adventure.
            Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
            Tennessee Scale Crawlers
            sigpic

Comment

Alrighty, the RECON G6 Florida is in the books. All three day stages and the night stage are complete. It was a little warm. No. It was hot. The courses were great. Challenging but doable. I finished as the tiny truck (1.55) driver of the day. I hit three gates out of 186. Not a bad day.

Last edited by btoungette; 12-08-2017, 03:12 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
              Tennessee Scale Crawlers
              sigpic

Comment

Here's a video of "plan B" crawling the courses at the RC4WD Haunted Hollows RECON G6 in Belleview, Florida.

Click here to watch in new window.

Click here to watch on YouTube.
                Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                sigpic

Comment

I had this rig on the desk to clean off some of the Central Florida sand it collected during it's last outing (in October) and found a few things that needed attention.

First was the rear driveshaft. It had twisted slightly. That was a simple fix - swap out the shaft.

I had taken the rear axle out of the rig to clean off the sand when I noticed the gear mesh felt gritty. I disassembled the rear axle and found no issues. I cleaned everything up and applied new grease and buttoned it back up. The gear mesh still feels gritty. I couldn't remedy the situation. It is installed per the directions with the gasket. It seems an additional gasket would move the ring gear over enough to smooth it out. The axles turn fine with no binding; they just aren't butter-smooth. Anyway, it's back in the rig ready to go again.

Here are all the parts awaiting final cleaning and fresh grease.

Most things are making that gritty sound when moving them around since the Florida trip. The driveshafts, for one, will need lubed. Even when putting the wheels on, I hear that sandy, grinding noise. That Central Florida powder sand is everywhere! I hope to have all the mechanical bits cleaned and lubed appropriately before next week.

I need to trim and prep the new body for paint, also.
                  Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:23 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                  Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been working on the body the last few nights - prep and paint. I went with red, backed with white, backed with black, with some black interior bits, hood bump and door hinges.

Here are some photos of the painting process. It's been drying overnight, and tonight I plan to finish with the cage, decals, and scale accessories.

While prepping the body, I realized the rear body posts needed some bracing. So, I added a brace. It added some weight, but I plan to lose a couple grams in other places.

Once the body is finished, this rig should be ready for the trip to RRW-TN this weekend.
                    Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                    Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                    sigpic

Comment

I have the body ready to roll. Paint is done, decals are on, driver is... faux driving. I still want to add some E-6000 to where the cage screws to the body to help lessen the cage from pushing through the body. That is on tonight's list.

Here is the fresh body ready for details...

Here is what it looks like trail-ready...

I mounted the light bar to go for a different look - a desert offroad race truck type look (if it proves to be a nuisance, it will be removed). I made a new red tow rope and wrapped that around a spare wheel on the back. I used a racing driver from Tamiya instead of an action figure. No need for points in G6 competition. No windshield. No fender flares. No scale accessories. I'll add the appropriate ones for the RECON G6 in April, but this weekend's G6 only mandates a tow strap.
                      Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                      Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                      sigpic

Comment

Did some work this past Saturday at the 1st Annual Krawlfest in the Smokies - 400 gates of Smoky Mountain terrain.

The rig did great and had no noticeable issues. Only carnage that I am aware of is a few small cracks in the body around where the cage bolts. That was due to being wedged between a rock and a hard place, and pushing out of it. I'm glad I reinforced those areas because the cage might have pushed through the body. It's all good though. I'll do a good once-over sometime this week.

I managed to come home with some tools and miscellaneous parts.

I also won some Pit Bull 2.2 Foams in the raffle/door prize drawing.

After it was all said and done, it was a good trip. I had fun out on the trails with my friends.

Last edited by btoungette; 12-08-2017, 03:16 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                        Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, we all like to tinker, and I for one can't just leave things the same. I like to do little things to improve some aspect of the rig - performance, durability, aesthetics.

So, last evening, I started to tinker with the spare tire mount. I removed it to change the way I had the spare wheel mounted. While changing the hardware, I realized how much better the rig looked sans the spare tire mount. I remembered running another Dingo years back without the spare tire mount (and windshield, for that matter). I liked the way it looked; so, I left it off. I added a couple of rod ends to act as a hooking point for bungees and what-not.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:27 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                          Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                          sigpic

Comment

Small little update...

I was offered a good deal on some VP Method 101 wheels this weekend, and I chose to purchase them, really because of the color combo. They will work with this rig and potentially, MEAN STREAK.

I have been chomping at the bit to try the Pit Bull PBX-A/T in Alien Compound. So, I mounted them to see what they looked like on the rig.

I thought the upcoming RC4WD “Tuckaleechee Trail” RECON G6 at RRW-TN would be a good way to try these tires and see what all the fuss is about. I've heard great things from folks that have used these tires, and I figured I needed to try them in order to properly compare them to the 1.55 Growlers in Komp Compound that I have been using, and the new RC4WD 1.9 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in the new X2 S³ Compound I'll be running on TenderFoot. I'd run the Duratracs on this rig, but they are too short to look proper on this rig.
                            Last edited by btoungette; 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                            Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                            sigpic

Comment

Updated wheels and body look great, simple works

Congrats on the hardware!

Comment

Originally posted by 25aniv View Post
                                Updated wheels and body look great, simple works

Congrats on the hardware!
                                Thanks!
                                Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X