Mean Streak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September 14, 2016

Found a little time to tinker with this rig for a minute the last couple nights.

I texted back and forth the other night with intoodeep about things to help the Mad Beast tires perform better. While weight is one of those things that I agree would help, I don't want to use weights in the wheels. I may add some knuckle weights or weighted faux rotors at some point.

I would like to just get the tires to hook-up first, and then further tune with weight. I told intoodeep I was mounting TSLs, and I had one mounted, but I changed my mind. I really like the looks of the Mad Beasts on this rig, and wanted to try other things before abandoning them.

So, I remembered that I had some Lil Nova foams in my spare things. I have tried with some success on other rigs to run the Deuces Wild foams in the rear and soft (usually stock) foams in the front. I think that combo allows the rear tires to support the weight of the rig without collapsing while attempting vertical obstacles, and allows the front tires to better conform and grip the obstacle. Based on that thinking, I proceeded to swap out the Deuces Wild foams in the front for some 4.25 Lil Novas with closed cell inner / soft outer.

This change made the front tires "juicy". The Lil Nova foams filled them fine while allowing more "squish" than the Deuces Wild. The tire isn't overly flat while at rest, as seen below, but there is a noticeable difference.

While at it, I decided to change up the rear shocks a little. Most of you know that I like to tinker with the shocks to fine tune the handling of rigs. I felt the rear shocks were a bit stiff for my liking. The preload collars were cranked down quite a bit to keep the ride height at full extension. I usually like the rear shocks less stiff than the front to allow the rear to do more work than the front. Contrary to what I would think, a softer setup in the rear seems to crawl vertical obstacles better than a stiff one. I actually tested this theory with Honcho Verde at PPD one year. I tried an obstacle and adjusted the preload then tried again. The softer setup did better than with more preload. You would think a stiffer setup would hold the rig upright instead of flipping back, but the softer setup allows the rig to hug the obstacle better keeping it vertical longer. Enough theory...

I took the rear shocks off, cleaned them, added some shock oil, kept the springs that were there (Proline Scaler Shock lowers / Axial red uppers), adjusted all the preload out, and installed them back in place.

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017, 05:35 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
    <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
    Tennessee Scale Crawlers
    sigpic

Comment

September 19, 2016

Small update... I ordered some smaller (lower tooth count) pinions to see if gearing down will help with the high temps.

Currently, it is running a 11t; I ordered a 10t & a 9t. My concern is not having enough room on the motor mount to slide the motor close enough to properly mesh the spur & pinion. I may need to do some Dremel persuasion to open the mount up enough, but then the transmission is really close to the motor too.

If I can't get proper mesh, I'll order a 56 tooth spur.

I'll keep you posted.
      Tennessee Scale Crawlers
      sigpic

Comment

October 11, 2016

Did some crawling last Saturday at Barfield. I got to test the foam set-up in the tires and the change in rear shock pre-load. I could tell a significant improvement in the front tires' performance with the softer foams. Some of the rock was slick with dry dust. I could see the front tires hooking up better than before; so, that was a positive change.

As far as the rear shocks go, I think there's more opportunity there for improvement. With no pre-load, the rig presented more torque twist. Not far down the trail, I added a few turns of pre-load on the right rear shock. It helped some, but I think some stiffer springs are needed to keep the torque twist down. I never noticed it before. I also notice it was a little unstable when on vertical climbs. Again, something stiffer springs would help. I'll get out my extra springs and see what I can come up with. Stay tuned (get it?).

I noticed the body took some damage after several hard tumbles. I took some super glue and black E-6000 and repaired the effected areas - one on the hood and one on the rear right side.

I ordered a 56 tooth spur gear that should be at the HQ by the end of the week. I'll try to pair that with the 10 tooth pinion that I previous procured to hopefully lower the motor temps. With the motor pinion off, everything spins freely - nice and smooth. I've come to think it's just geared too high for the weight of this rig. We shall see...
        Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017, 05:38 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
        Tennessee Scale Crawlers
        sigpic

Comment

October 13, 2016

Completed a once-over on this rig last night and found a few screws loose. lol

There was one wheel nut slightly loose, a couple of upper link nuts that needed tightened, and one knuckle screw loose. I added some blue thread locker to the knuckle screw and tightened it down. The others were a simple turn of the wrench. Nothing big, and no noticeable issues.

The 56t spur is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll change out the spur and hopefully get into some shock tuning tomorrow evening.
          Tennessee Scale Crawlers
          sigpic

Comment

October 18, 2016

Well, I received the spur as scheduled. I got around to getting the transmission out last night. That was an adventure in itself. I had to loosen the entire cage and pry the frame rails apart in order to pry the skid out after I had loosened the transmission from the skid. Whew... that took a minute... to get my plan of attack and to get it apart. I could have went in from the top and removed the interior, but I felt that would have taken longer and more disassembly.

After finally getting the darn thing out, I checked clearances and it looks like the spur will clear the interior and the 9t pinion will correctly mesh with the spur. Yahoo!

I figured since it was such a pain to get access, I'd tear the transmission apart and check things out then re-grease and reassemble. I took it all apart and things look to be in great condition - gears, bearings and housing. I cleaned up the parts and will put it all back together tonight (hopefully). I'll look things over and see if there is an easier way to get access to the transmission before I start slapping it all back together.

Here are some photos because we all like photos:

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017, 05:40 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
            Tennessee Scale Crawlers
            sigpic

Comment

October 22, 2016

Just finished the assembly of the transmission after a cleaning and greasing (with Mobil 1 red synthetic). It now has the 56t spur and a 9t pinion. The motor is bottomed out on the motor plate and that provided the perfect mesh between spur and pinion. Now to get it back in the chassis...

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017, 05:45 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
              Tennessee Scale Crawlers
              sigpic

Comment

October 24, 2016

I spent Saturday morning putting things back together. It was a little easier than expected. Obviously, it was easier to pry the skid back in place versus trying to get it out. Everything is buttoned up for the most part. I need to plug the motor to the ESC and do some testing. I'd like to get some time with the rear shocks, too.

As you can see, the motor is as close to the transmission as it can go without modifying the motor mount. Even with that, the mesh seems great. The 56t spur and 9t pinion gives it a 6.2222222 ratio. That's down from a 4.91; so, it should lower motor temps and add some grunt. I'll continue to run the Axial sealed can 27t motor for now because I'll be able to compare to before the ratio change. Once I'm comfortable that the motor-heat issue is under control, I'll put a better motor in it. I have a couple of Br00d motors available, or I can send the Holmes motor back for a rebuild (which is what should happen).

Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017, 05:43 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                sigpic

Comment

November 23, 2016

I spent some time tonight getting this rig ready for the Monthly Run on Saturday.

I added some preload to the rear shocks - eight turns on the preload collar. I may end-up changing some springs to get it the way I want it. It's tune, then test, rinse and repeat... right?

I took some time to repair the inner fenders from where I had cracked a few joints (that sounds illegal, in some states) when I was removing the cage for the spur gear change. Some super glue and those were back to good.

The only thing left was hooking-up the motor and testing everything. I may have mentioned this before, but for some reason the motor runs backwards from what it should. I have to wire it backwards to get it to go forward when pulling the trigger on the controller. I've checked the ESC programing and the controller. Both are no different than the settings on my other rigs. The transmission/skid/motor are oriented correctly per Axial SCX-10 instructions. The axle ring gears can only be installed one way in the Curries; and, the other VP axles had the ring gear oriented the same way as the Curries. I can't remember if the Holmes motor that came in this rig was wired backwards... but, that might have contributed to it's failure (and the heat issues with this motor). I'll investigate this reverse-motor debacle and let you know if I find anything.

Sorry, no photos of these mundane things...

Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                  sigpic

Comment

December 3, 2016

Got a little testing in last week at the Monthly Run at Cedars. There was not a lot of opportunity, but I did manage to try a few spots that required some wheel-speed. Checked the motor temp after a hard hill climb and the temp was about 50 degrees above ambient temperature. For the cool day of last Saturday, that is fine; but for normal use that seems to be a little warm. The gearing definitely helped. I didn't notice any loss in performance, as far as wheel-speed is concerned. I'd like to get this motor heat situation dialed in before the warm weather arrives back in the mid-state.

Here's a photo from the day's activities:

I need to clean it and do a once-over. I'll give it some attention this weekend.
                    Last edited by btoungette; 12-07-2017, 05:41 PM. Reason: Photobucket ransom
                    Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                    sigpic

Comment

December 5, 2016

Well, I did some more testing to see why the motor has to turn reverse-rotation to get the rig to go correctly.

It's the darn Currie RockJock axle design. They are designed with provisions for the ring gear to be installed only one way. The wrong way for an SCX-10. They were apparently designed around the Wraith AR60 OCP, which have the ring gear on the left side facing the axle. The SCX-10 needs the ring gear on the right.

I thought I had researched this very topic a few weeks ago and found that was not the issue. Was I ever wrong!

So, no changing the gears to correct the situation. I can reverse the ESC on the remote or wire the motor backwards (which is how it's been).

I feel kinda dumb after re-calibrating the ESC and trying a couple of motor and ESC combos. Then the problem was obvious when I compared axles side by side.

I'll just put the Axial motor back in it, and plug it up backwards for now.
                      Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                      sigpic

Comment

Okay, now you are caught up with the progress.

Let's see where it goes from here...
                        Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, that is quite the adventure.

Will wait and see what is next LOL.
                          sigpic

Come and check out 'Trailworx Garage' on Facebook and Youtube

Comment

I am currently in the middle of refurbishing the body. I have stripped the decals off and sanded the body. I decided to remove the rear door hinges and handles and make it a two-door brute style body. The rear doors never looked right the way the body was modified. I have filler in the door recesses and will smooth that out and lay down some new paint. I am leaning toward painting it white.

Here's a photo of the second round of green putty after the first round had been sanded down. (My first time using this putty on my crawler bodies, or any putty for that matter.)

Last edited by btoungette; 07-21-2017, 02:24 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                            Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                            sigpic

Comment

The first time I built a set of Curries, I found out about the rotation issue. I was freaking out until I installed the rear axle and all was good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              sigpic

Comment

I took advantage of the beautiful day today and laid down some white paint on the body.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sold on this color. It shows too much of the imperfections. Black might have been better...

I will detail the handles, wipers, grille and bits on the hood to have it ready for Round#1 of our local comp series.

The removal of the rear doors came out okay, I guess.
                                Last edited by btoungette; 07-21-2017, 02:22 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
                                Tennessee Scale Crawlers
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X