H2Micr0's HJ47 Crew Cab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now for some different metal work.

I folded up some rear mud guards from some thin alloy sheet.

Only a bit more metal work to go, but am waiting for a special bender to come in.

Then it will be time to finish up the body work.

Cheers
    H2Micr0
    Trailworx Garage
    Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:11 PM.
    sigpic

Come and check out 'Trailworx Garage' on Facebook and Youtube

Comment

Right then, time for some updates.

Firstly, photos of the way the sliders mount. Looks like I missed this earlier.

And some photos of how the rear mud guards were made. They also form an inner fender under the body.

While making the rear mud guards I realised I still hadn't installed the shocks.

After a bit of experimentation settled on this.

I then trimmed all of the tray mounts, and drilled holes for the upper shock mounts.

The front also needed attention in the shock department.

Much better.

The last major thing in the interior to be done was the rear seat.

I used the front seat set from the FJ40 Shorty build. By mounting the seats on a separate base, I can remove them if needed and painting becomes much easier.

Have some more to add over the next few days.

Cheers
      H2Micr0
      Trailworx Garage
      Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:12 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

I decided I needed to assemble the body fully as best I could to get close to the final weight.

I also added some scale accessories inherited from the original Troopy.

First was the taillights from the Gelande body.

Proved to be a nice fit. Just need some colour for the lenses.

Then the cold air intake and filter. I made a larger tube into the engine compartment for it, and it looks right at home.

Spare wheel and some Jerry Cans are mandatory for outback travel. Some form of container or toolbox will find a home in the back to ensure the tow straps and other gear don't fall out.

Seeing as this windscreen will never be folded down, I mounted the jack and other bits into the windscreen bonnet support mounts.

Then I joined my good mate Andrew and took it out for a good 3 and a bit hour test drive scouting the location for our next WESROC ST4 Challenge.

How did it go?

Bloody Beaut Cobba!!!!!!

All that is left to do is a bit of filler work, fab up the rear doors and paint.

The other detail work can follow as it evolves.

Cheers
        H2Micr0
        Trailworx Garage
        Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:13 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, my scale build support crew, the guys that I chat to on a daily basis, will tell you I was a royal PITA when it came to choosing the colour for this rig.

Originally my intention was to paint this Mustard like my original Troopy was, but, I couldn't actually find Mustard in a spray can anywhere. Yes, I could have paid way too much to have a custom mix done, but sourcing the correct paint code was also problematic.

So, in the end I elected for a complete colour change.

I found these at the local hardware store.

Flat white Primer for the roof, and Gloss Deep Blue.

The blue is quit close to a factory colour Medium Blue.

I had a Flexy/RDO last Friday and with the weather being fine, it is winter down here in Australia, I decided to make the most of it and lay down some paint.

After stripping the body down I started with the interior. Primer first of course.

Now THAT is BLUE!!!!!

Door cards and dash.

Then on to the tray.

Now a shiny blue old Toyota might be ok for a full restoration, but I wanted options, so I sprayed on some 'rust' first. I used some brown left over from the D129 body.

The seats and body mounts got hit with Satin Black.

In between coats of paint and waiting for it to dry, I cut out some rear doors from thin styrene sheet, and glued them to the body.

Before this I glued the roof to the body, along with the windscreen frame, so it is all one piece now.

Primer inside and out.

Ready for 'rust' and colour, but I ran out of the brown paint. More in the next post.

Cheers
          H2Micr0
          Trailworx Garage
          Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:14 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

So off to Bunnings, the local hardware chain, to get some more 'rust' or Nutmeg paint.

Only to find this colour has been discontinued.

After a bit of dithering I selected a Copper Metallic colour.

I painted the body with it's 'rust' layer.

I like this colour and will use it on another build.

Time to get Blue.

And white for the roof.

Liking this combo a lot.

Started assembling things.

Did a quick and dodgy conversion to right hand drive.

And of course I there was no way I could resist a quick trial fit on the Chassis.

It looks so pretty all shiny.

Cheers
            H2Micr0
            Trailworx Garage
            Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:14 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

"It looks so pretty all shiny."

Blah, can't have that now can we.

I started by scuffing the entire body and tray to remove all the shine.

Then I sanded through to the rust layer in a few spots, trying for a worn and used appearance rather than an real clunker.

Using a very short bristle brush I added a darker colour by dabbing here and there. Seemed to work ok.

The new brush bars needed some paint, but I was careful to cover up the years of natural age on the main bull bar.

Here it is mounted to the chassis, waiting for the body. The satin black will soon start to accumulate trail scars.

Every RC trail rig needs a driver and gear, so I piled all the required bits into the interior. The front seats in this body are actually a LONG way forward and leg room is at a premium, so his legs are on the floor in the back.

I then assembled and detailed things as I went. I will cover some of those in a future post. All new bright work was installed along with new glass.

Then it was time to hit the trails.

Who says an old leafy yota can't flex??

And for now I am calling this build done.

Here is a short video from today's outing. This should meet the comps requirements I trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUBDzxHhuo

I of course will continue to add things to this rig, so keep an eye out for updates.

Thanks for following along.

Cheers
              H2Micr0
              Trailworx Garage
              Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Well being me I couldn't leave this as it was.

I decided to enter the HJ47 in our local ST4 Challenge, and this meant a few changes were needed.

I had picked up some 1.55 Mud Slingers, and test fit these on some reversed RC4WD Wagon Wheels. I think they suit it very well indeed.

First job on the list was to install a new Yota 1 front diff. This had XVDs fitted for improved smoothness and reliability. The original one needs an overhaul badly.

Then I fitted a new 30kg Savox servo.

I made a toolbox to carry all the loose gear.

Added a hitch and an exhaust.

And then went out and ran two 100 gate courses.

Only got a couple of pics though.

Overall I was pretty happy with how the HJ47 went, but found the springs were too soft, allow some torque twist and unwanted body roll. This also allowed the tyres to rub badly on full lock so will be addressing this shortly.

Cheers
                H2Micr0
                Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:16 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Time to address the suspension.

I had two leaves on the front and back, so decided to add a third leaf all round.

While looking through my leaf spring parts, I discovered something interesting.

If you look closely you can see these are different thicknesses and therefore different spring rates.

I elected to put the stiffer set in the front and the others in the rear.

While this lifted the rig slightly I like the new stance.

With that done, I met up with a good mate 'Castle' and I gave him control of the D129. We spent around 4 hours at Cape Bank, Sydney, Australia wheeling these rigs around. I got plenty of pics, and we made a video which I will link to below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBvdF4__I_0

I was very pleased with how the new suspension setup was working. There was still enough flex, but much more control now.

The tyres are working well. I will need to put some stiffer foams in the front, and probably a touch of weight as well.

Cheers
                  H2Micr0
                  Trailworx Garage
                  Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:17 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

And then the following weekend I met up with another mate, OzBrusier, and we did some wheeling at Kurnel, Sydney, Australia.

I got some great pics of the HJ47 there as well.

Hope you don't mind all the photos.

Cheers
                    H2Micr0
                    Trailworx Garage
                    Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:17 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I took the HJ47 with me to a comp and while I actually ran the Defender Crew Cab 6x6 for a laugh in Class 1, I did also drive the HJ around the courses afterwards, just to see how it went.

I didn't take these pics, and it is great to see it in action.

Sadly at the end of the day I stripped the idler gear in the SCX10 Trans. Not bad for a 4 year old part.

So I pulled it out.

I used the Deadbolt trans I just removed from the D110, which was installed direct from a new RTR roller.

I thought I should give it a quick inspection before installing it.

Notice anything missing?

No bloody grease!!! And this has quite a few hours run time on it.

Put in some Udder Budder and put it all back together again.

The 32pitch gearing is part of an upcoming mod for this rig.

Cheers
                      H2Micr0
                      Trailworx Garage.
                      Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:18 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I also found another issue with the HJ47.

Two of the 1.55 Mud Slingers had split beads. This is surprising as they are mounted on 1.55 RC4WD wheels. But as I bought them second hand there wasn't much I could do about it.

Then in a moment of brilliant inspiration I decided to mount one of the split tyres on a 1.9 wheel.

What this meant is that the bead lock part of the wheel actually grips part of the sidewall a little higher than the bead. In addition the bigger diameter wheel looks more appropriate on this body size.

I think this should work.

I added a small amount of weight to the front wheels while I was at it.

I of course needed to test the new Trans and the new tyre wheel combo.

So I spent a good 1.5 hours wheeling around at Maroubra on Sunday afternoon.

I actually like the silver wheels more than the white. I do like the way it drives with the Mud Slingers, enough grip, and enough slip.

What is very apparent is the need for better gearing, which will be addressed with the next upgrade for the HJ47.

Cheers
                        H2Micr0
                        Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:19 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

So with the build off about to close, I thought an update would be appropriate.

I went to QLD, approx 12 hours drive from where I live in Sydney, to visit family, and took a couple of rigs, including the HJ47 with me.

I had a blast exploring the area making videos.

Here are the links to the videos published so far on my Trailworx Garage Page.

And a few still pictures from my adventures.

Can never have too many pics right?????

I wish to congratulate all the other entries in the competition for presenting some very fine workmanship, and am delighted to be included amongst such a high level field of builders.

Cheers
                          H2Micr0
                          Trailworx Garage
                          Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:20 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

While the Styrene Build Off may be finished, there is always more to be done to a rig.

After watching back the videos with Shannon and I out in our rigs together, I realised how bloody tall the HJ47 was.

It was a bit tippy side to side as well, so I decided it was time to try a Leaf Under Conversion. This would make it more accurate to a stockish 1:1, and would help with the COG.

I have seen leaf under conversions done where the whole diffs are turned over, but I really didn't see why that is necessary.

I little bit of experimentation later and I found an m3 locknut makes the perfect spacer.

Now, if I had a standard front leaf configuration this would have been relatively simple.

But I don't. As you can see in the below photo I have some small brackets that move the leafs inboard, meaning I had to grind the diff housing slightly for clearance, and the nuts had to go on the bottom.

The back end followed suit, no extra brackets, and I could see how low this was going to sit.

I lost a min 15mm, prob a bit more from the height. In fact in the above photo it is too low.

And of course when you move the diff closer to the chassis, other things are likely to need attention.

This is the front motor mount. And, as you can see is rather close to pinion shaft, and with a drive shaft in place touches it with the vehicles weight on it.

And the top of the diff pumpkin easily makes contact with the servo as well.

Now, see those holes in the side of the motor mount? The are from previous builds using this chassis, so it should be a simple job to lift the trans/motor combo, and the servo mount plate higher out of the way.

This photo is how it all was before lifting. I also have to raise the top shock mount point as the shock is bottoming out.

A little while later and things are looking much better.

I also had to adjust the rear shock top mount to allow for more travel.

To get a couple more mm height I changed the shackle angles and it now sits like this.

And of course some trail testing was require.

While the breakover angle underneath is worse, it is more fun to wheel. Means I have to pick my lines more carefully, but it is definitely better balanced, and looks better as well.

There is sufficient flex for a stockish truck too.

The main problem now is that on full lock the front wheels grab the front bull bar mounts, so I will have to look at that soon.

Cheers
                            H2Micr0
                            Trailworx Garage.
                            Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 09:22 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have published another video featuring the HJ47, this time with the FJ40 Shorty.

What makes this video special is that my Brother and Nephew were doing the driving.

I had a great time sharing my love of scale driving with them both.

I hope you enjoy the video.

Cheers
                              H2Micr0

sigpic

Comment

What a nice build.

Comment

Working...
                                X