No announcement yet.

H2Micr0's FJ40 Shorty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW, does time fly when you have several builds on the go!!!

Over 4 months since my last post re the FJ40 Shorty.

To be honest, until the last couple of days, not a lot has changed.

I dabbled with a box trailer for the Shorty, and took it for a couple of test drives.

Look out for GIANT wildlife on the trail!!!

Even did some Class 2 comp work with it just for a laugh.

And then these arrived.

D44 Axles by RC4WD.

More on that soon.

Cheers
    H2Micr0
    Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 10:01 PM.
    sigpic

Come and check out 'Trailworx Garage' on Facebook and Youtube

Comment

Lets have a closer look at the D44 Axles.

Ignore the white specs. That is styrene dust LOL.

But you can see how nice these are machined.

The D44 Axles use SCX10 Compatible diff gears, so replacement parts, also sold by RC4WD, are easy to come by. It also means you can install Overdrive and Underdrive gears.

The C Hubs can be clocked, providing the builder some flexibility for installation.

While the D44 is designed to used with a CMS and panhard bar, RC4WD also sell a kit to mount the servo on the axle, if that is what your prefer.

Spare parts are readily available from the RC4WD store.

A little comparison against some Yota Axles.

The diff tubes are pretty much the same size. The pumpkin is obviously larger for the SCX10 gears, but with this you get stronger components.

The D44 also weighs a LOT more, helping keep weight down low on your rig.

I was swapping in some OD/UD gears for this set up and grabbed some pics of the internals.

The diff hat is bolted on with tiny 1.6mm bolts, but they look great. RC4WD sell scale bolts in this size so I will probably pick some up soon.

There are some very nice bearing caps to hold the center in place, and a nice metal locker.

While the D44 Axles are designed as a replacement for the SCX10 Axle, they are a really good option for the building looking for scale looks combined with robust performance.

Next I will install these into Shorty.

Cheers
      H2Micr0
      Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 10:02 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Fitting the D44s required a bit of work.

The panhard bar was hung the other way, so the chassis mount had to be moved. This also meant the servo needed to be switched around too so the panhard and drag link were oriented the same.

These pics show the diffs fitted before I installed the OD/UD gears. This allowed be to be sure it was all going to work first.

This first pic is with the Yota diffs still installed. The front is a Yota 2 with XVDs, and the rear is a Yota 1.

I managed to re use the custom stainless links for the rear. Just got lucky. Only a minor adjustment was required.

The front lower links I could also reuse. The upper 3rd link ended up with a different length stainless piece in after the C Hubs were clocked back and I rolled the diff forward a fair bit.

I think the D44s work well with this size body. The FJ40 is a larger scale than most, and the pumpkin size doesn't look out of place.

Using the same wheel tyre combo with the same SLW hubs, the track is just too wide here. I plan on getting a new wheel tyre combo for this though, and will play around with that side of it.

However the wider track does mean the tyres don't hit the chassis when on full lock.

Without the OD/UD gears, the front end still pushed like it did with the Yota Axles. With grippy tyres, and a short wheelbase the inside rear tyre won't slip.

With the gears installed things have improved greatly in that regard.

Cheers
        H2Micr0
        Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 10:03 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

I ran our first ST4 Challenge last Sunday. This was 100 gates long with some technically difficult gates that made the drivers think. Our ST4 has free reverses and no time limit, and we encourage the use of recovery gear, with no penalty, so there should be very little reason for rollovers etc.

While I actually ran the Challenge in my WJ Grand Cherokee, I did the reverse direction while collecting all the gate markers with the FJ40, and drove the C2 gates with it.

I have removed the Rock Beasts and installed the Axial BFG tyres with stock foams. Considering how heavy this rig is, I was quite impressed with that setup. But these tyres won't stay on this rig.

I have to say, the dynamics of the FJ40 have changed a lot with the installation of the heavier D44 Axles, and the OD/UD has helped not only with turning but also with climbing. The COG is MUCH better now and it is a real blast to drive.

Here are a couple of pics I grabbed.

I still have some steering lock issues to work out, but overall I am really loving this build again.

Cheers
          H2Micr0
          Last edited by H2Micr0; 11-23-2017, 10:03 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Very nice build. Good inspiration...

I have a G2 Cruiser sitting on the shelf (and has been since mid-2015) that I have wanted to do modify similar to what you have done. It's good to read through your thread and see the progress with the cutting and the styrene work. After seeing what you accomplished, I may now have the stones to start cutting on that body.

I was thinking of doing a similar cut on the doors and rear fender opening, but I was also thinking of removing the windshield. I have an RC4WD metal cage ready to protect the driver.

It was good to see a couple of different drivers in a Cruiser for size reference.

Thanks for sharing.
            <>< | agent ORANGE | TenderFoot | FRANKENGREEN | RAFFLE-1
            Tennessee Scale Crawlers
            sigpic

Comment

Hello

I have updated the pics so they should now work.

Cheers
              H2Micr0
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X