My 1946 Dodge Power Wagon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1946 Dodge Power Wagon

The ten pictures under all this text should follow the text in order. Couldn't figure out how to post multiple pictures with corresponding text above or below each picture in the new Web Site.

This is the Pro-Line 1946 Dodge Power Wagon body on an Axial SCX10.2 chassis (Hondo RTR). My forrestry truck is driven by Ranger Bill with his navigator Rusty. That small grey box on the driver's running board opens up and contains a functional 3 foot tow rope and working block and tackle equipment for the winch.

Picture 1

Truck has a Bruiser/Mountaineer full interior. The interior is mounted to the chassis and not the body. Rubber side mirrors, yellow turn signal lights, and locking front hubs were added.

Picture 2

A RC4WD front bumper and winch with 6' of line were added. The headlights are from the extra parts that come with the Hondo RTR. The narrow bumper doesn't block the front tires from climbing over "tall" stuff directly in front of them. The front of this truck is awesome.

Picture 3

Tail lights, a fender mounted license plate, exhaust pipe, bed eye-bolts, and tailgate chains were added. The tail lights are from the extra parts that come with the Hondo RTR.

Picture 4

A gas filler pipe was installed. The rear bumper is a TF2 front plastic bumper with the holes filled in and tow shackles added. The bumper is attached to the body so the tow shackles are not very functional.

Picture 5

A wood box was placed in the bed to hide that distracting large "bump". It's made from balsa wood and hollow inside so it doesn't impact the CG much.

Picture 6

The body is held in place with four magnets and all accessories are secured except for the boots in the white bucket. I didn't secure the boots as my goal is to drive without having them fall out.

Picture 7

This is a nice running truck (typical Axial performance). It's much quieter compared to my TF2. The windows could be a lot more like glass so you can see the interior.

Picture 8

Here's a look with the body removed. Note the interior is held in place with the front body mounting posts. The magnets that secure the body front are mounted to the plastic plate holding the interior.

Picture 9

This is the chassis without the interior installed. The two batteries are wired in parallel. The truck can run on either battery or both batteries. For a lighter truck and better weight distribution the front battery can be removed. Since I prefer a heavier truck and like longer run times, I use both batteries. That loose red connector behind the steering servo is for the LED lights. A cross member is mounted on the rear posts with two magnets to secure the rear of the body. Black side panels were added to the chassis under the bed to prevent seeing completely under the pickup bed.

Picture 10

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Happy trails to all.

I really like everything except for the Tamiya connectors and butt splices.

-Rod

Comment

Rod, thanks for the comment. I will upgrade the wiring if I move to LiPo batteries. For now, I am enjoying the truck.

Jim

Comment

Very nice truck!,I've got a army version on the way,will be posted soon!

Comment

Gasguzzler,

Thanks for the comment. This was my first build with a Lexan body and putting an interior inside was a challenge. If I do another Lexan body I will either paint the outside to eliminate the heavy gloss look or put a clear flat coat on the outside. Hope you enjoy your build and I look forward to seeing your army rig. The 1946 Power Wagon is a favorite classic of mine.

The truck has been given some additional exterior refinements. I switched the emblems from the black ones to the "chrome" ones; added a custom front grill decal; new wheels were installed to help give a more vintage look; aux lights up near the cab were added to match the real truck; a high power rifle was put in the cab (rangers needed something for animal control); anti-slip entry mats were added to the running boards (one ranger slipped while getting in and twisted his ankle); and a radio antenna was installed so the rangers could communicate with headquarters. The yellow round object on the antenna is a tennis ball to keep the antenna from hitting against the cab when bouncing over ruts, rocks, or whatever, on the trail.

Would like to cut out the driver side window but haven't got the courage to try that just yet. Is that something you plan to do?

Here's some bench shots with the latest changes.

Comment

Hey RCtrucknut,sorry it took a little while to get back to you,I some internet issues. Thanks for the idea on the open window(s),I might just do that being that this isn't my 1st lexan body build,I did a Jeep 2 years ago and cut out the windows I'll keep you posted with up to the minute photos down the road.Also about knocking off some lexan sheen,try painting on the outside with either krylon paint+primer(very thin coats)or tamiya air craft paints(scuff the lexan before hand).I'll be using the krylon (in army green-duhh!).btw-love the updates you made!

Comment

Bit the bullet and removed the driver side window. Cutting the Lexan out wasn't as hard as I thought. Just took a steady hand with a Dremel tool and X-ACTO knife. Now that the dash can be seen I will need to update the instrument cluster to approximate a 1946 panel layout. The ranger's shoulder patch can now be seen with the window "down".

Still working on a better look for the front grill. My latest approach uses chrome tape for accent and matches the truck lettering. Looks better than the decal that was being used.

Comment

I like the open window!I'm happy to see you gave it a shot,the 1st time I did it I was a bit sceptical of what it would look like, but ultimately it came out well.I might just do it to that Joe can feel the wind in his face-lol!also,to make my grill look ultra real,I cut it out(between the "bars"), then I meshed it and added a radiator.to do this I outfitted my dremel with a hand grip(if you don't already have one,it costs about 8$U.S)which let handle the dremel sort of like a pencil. I look forward to seeing any other changes you might make!

Comment

Wow! Gasguzzler, you must have one very steady hand and a lot of patients. That grill looks great. Nice work. I don't think I could hold the lines that well. The only way I could pull that off is with a very sharp custom "cookie cutter stamp" for each individual grill opening. However, not sure if Lexan likes to be "punched" like that.

Comment

Thanks RCtrucknut,yeah,it took about an hour(not to mention the fact that I found lexan in places lexan should never be).I guess I do have patients,I've gotta do it again for my real p-w body( this one's gonna hopefully have a full bed!). I'm definitely still doing an army rig!

Comment

It took me awhile to clean up all the Lexan dust too. Made quite a mess everywhere so I know what you mean. Sorry to hear you have to do that all over again but then practice makes perfect (lol). I will pass on trying to cut out mine and keep the chrome strips for now. One slip during the cutting process and the grill is ruined. High risk for me.

Your "real" truck should be quite authentic when completed. I will keep an eye on your build.

Comment

That's fine,I chose to restart!I'm building this truck for show and shines and competitions,so I really wanted it to a show stopper! 3d interior,full bed,opening tail gate-the whole 9 yard!-lol! Also,don't worry, your grill grill looks awesome!

Comment

thaaaaaats niiicccce

Comment

hrsbaby, thanks for the comment. I am not a hard core scaler but like a truck that looks good and performs well.

I found some scale rope in one of my drawers so I got rid of the string securing the shipping box in the bed and replaced it.

Had the truck out this afternoon and will need to do something about those chrome strips around the grill. The sun reflecting off the strips is blinding. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Wow!that's looking good!I like the rope.also,I told hrsbaby about my build and yours,also I hope you find a solution for the grill that you like!btw,your lucky! Here in Canada it's raining cats and dogs!

Comment

Working...
                              X