Gasguzzler's 1946 power wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasguzzler's 1946 power wagon

My 1946 power wagon is finally underway!just got the first pieces from my parts wall;a rc4wd 35t motor and a spectrum s601 mg servo(it'll have a aluminum arm soon).these should do fine.
    for my build I decided to go the extra mile by fabing my own custom chassis rails,to do this I started by getting a long length of aluminum stock at my local hardware store,next came cutting and since I don't have a band saw(yet)I had to use a jig saw.after about 3 hours of cutting and getting butted halfway across the shop a dozen times,it all led to wonder you see here!
    Last edited by Gasguzzler; 07-21-2018, 10:07 AM.
    --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--
    --ZACHAUDET::GASGUZZLER--
    --ZRC_CUSTOMS ON YOU TUBE,INSTAGRAM
    TWITTER,FACEBOOK.AND PINTEREST--
    --TINY TRUCKER'S COMMUNITY FACEBOOK GROUP--
    --ON THE SCALE BUILDERS GUILD--

https://www.youtube.com/c/LaurentianRCStudios

I'm using scx-10 servo mounts-just sayin'
    here's the t-case on its custom mounting plate,I'm using a standard scx-10 transmission and traxxas drive shafts to send power to the wheels
    this is the chassis sort of screwed together and sitting on some spare axles I had laying around(I'm not using these though).
    --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Time for more on the power wagon!so,here's the transmission mounted on its custom plate,I decided to do the extra work and mount it under the hood so that way I can make the full interior look it's best!it sure will take a long driveshaft though.
      ​​​​​​voila!my new rear body mount,since I want to make a full bed,I needed it to look scale and shock towers sticking through the bed isn't.a piece of 22g steel and some rare earth magnets(not these by the way)should be just fine.
      ​​​​​​the servo should be mounted like this-the hpi drift wheel does not apply-lol
      well here they are!some rc4wd tf2 leaf springs from Eliminator rc.they were 2 days late but at least I have em'!now,since I don't feel like messing up the truck I'll wait for the axles to arrive.
      --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

This is going to be a cool rig. I like your approach. BTW: your scale garage looks great.

Comment

Thanks RCtrucknut,this is only my 2nd year doing scale builds,theres a lot more to come on this build,I hope you stay tuned in for the rest!​​​your rig looks really awesome to!
          --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Well,this changed a rather bland day into a busy one:my yota 2 axles came in!thanks great hobbies for super fast shipping(they came in 2 days ago but I've been busy)anyway,I have some free time now!it's time to WRENCH!! more on the way-stay tuned!
            --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Okay I know this looks pretty weird,but that 13.0" wheelbase wasn't gonna find itself. yeah,I know the power wagon is a 12.3" but I like my trucks a little longer,plus I didn't want the wheels so close to the inner fenders.btw-street rod power wagon anyone?
              so here are the rear leaf springs before installation, this was my 1st time scratch building a frame and suspension system,but I think the rear came out pretty well!now it's time for the front,oh my...
              note:the body seen in the pics is my fun run body,I'll have the real one done and posted soon!(still an army rig).
              Last edited by Gasguzzler; 07-21-2018, 07:32 PM.
              --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Time for more on the power wagon! So here's the front all mocked up and ready for assembly, the front end was sort of concerning me,since all the steering components have to be pretty much perfect(I really don't feel like having 85%right and 15%left steering).anyway,I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out.I'll be using some custom made steering links soon,I also decided to add a set rc4wd ultimate scale shocks to my suspension setup(they'll be mounted to scx-10 shock towers).
                so here it is,it went great!the front leaf springs, shocks, shock towers and transmission all fell together perfectly! Here's how it sits now.
                for this build,protection consists of a rc4wd tough armor steel bumper(paint matched to the body),I then mounted up a rc4wd warn 9.5cti winch controlled by the wireless controller (still a lot of wires for wireless however)and will be rolling on axial 8-hole beadlocks wrapped in Pitt bull rock beast 1.9" rubber(look a little closer and you'll see that the rings are also paint matched to the body color).the finishing touch is a set of rc4wd warn Manuel locking hubs.my rigs future driver,Joe,stands proud next to his ride-lol I hope you enjoy all the photos! -more to come,stay tuned!
                --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

You are making good progress with the build. That's going to be an awesome military truck. I like the dull color with all your custom markings and the all metal chassis with leaf springs will make this quite scale. Joe can look forward to driving a great truck.

Comment

Hi again,RCtrucknut!glad to see your keeping tabs on my build,the leaf springs were probably the biggest challenge being that this was my 1st time,i might post a little more later tonight. Also l got the new power wagon body on the way and should get it some time this week! Stay tuned in for more!
                    --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Here are the 2 custom electronics plates cut and ready to install( minus paint).
                      so instead of mounting the electronics up under the hood like usual (I can't do that anyway,my transmission is up there)I mounted them on the chassis sides.I actually prefer this method as it puts weight on each side of my truck and makes it feel a little more planted.this method also helps hide everything inside the chassis from being seen thus upping the scale look(especially when there painted black).I'll be putting quite a lot on these things ,which is why I chose 22ga steel,I'll mounting the ESC,RX winch controller,winch battery and drive battery to them. But 1st,paint!
                      so,this is exactly how I want my servo to be,but this mount isn't gonna cut it,I guess I'll just have to make one...

wow!this truck is gonna need some LONG drive shafts! -more to come!stay tuned!
                      --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Well, I see you have some challenges ahead. Looking real good so far. Really like the leaf spring approach you are taking and yes that is going to be one long rear driveshaft.

Comment

Yeah,well hopefully tomorrow fixes a couple of em'.I'm also gonna try editing my front suspension a little bit,I was looking at it and noticed that it knocks my front bumper a little to much.I should have updates on that tomorrow night! also my new body should be in tomorrow and I look forward to you seeing what I plan on doing with it!
                          --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Oh wow you digging deep ,lol I want to do the same scratch or Frankenstein build a dually from the topkick body kinda want a look at the 1/14 semi wheels to see how they match up to a 10 scale ,I'm fearing they will be too small,but OMG that build you got going is awesome

Comment

Thanks hrsbaby,I decided to scratch build my truck because I want to try and join team rc4wd,not to mention hopefully getting to p-l by the fire and axial fest( next year,however).about the semi wheels,there perfect for 1/10 scale trucks,in fact I got a 2014 Silverado dully coming up soon and will be a set of rc4wd f&r wheels. There basicly 1.7" wheels,so check out the great selection of 1.7" off road crawler tires on the rc4wd site! I've always loved the topkick,so I'll keep my eye out on that one!if you need any help when you start feel free to ask me!
                              --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Working...
                              X