Gasguzzler's 1946 power wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for more on the power wagon!
    well,that's a nice surprise! I came back home today to see that my 1st shipment of parts came in!this wasn't the biggest one of the week,but it was definitely enough to get busy.for today I decided to get my bed going,I removed the cardboard one(serving as a template)and started putting in the styrene!I could only start since the rest of what's needed is in the next delivery (it should be tomorrow!).for now here's what I was able to do today.
    heres what came in today:a pack of evergreen .030 styrene sheet(for the interior), a pack of .060 styrene (for the bed,theres another pack coming)and some tamiya putty to finish the gas tank.
    enjoy the pics!more to come,stay tuned!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by Gasguzzler; 07-31-2018, 07:42 PM.
    --ZACHAUDET::GASGUZZLER--
    --ZRC_CUSTOMS ON YOU TUBE,INSTAGRAM
    TWITTER,FACEBOOK.AND PINTEREST--
    --TINY TRUCKER'S COMMUNITY FACEBOOK GROUP--
    --ON THE SCALE BUILDERS GUILD--

https://www.youtube.com/c/LaurentianRCStudios

Comment

well my other parts came in exactly on time!...its just I was to busy to build.anyway,I had time today and was super busy!I spent 95% of my day finishing the bed,after fine tuning the fitment of the pieces (floor,bed sides,etc.)I built the fender wells,using the cut outs from the bed sides I was able to (easily?)cut and form some .030 styrene sheet to make the wells.after the basic shape was done,I started on the tailgate.I used the stock bed to re make the embossed sections on the new tailgate, following that,I made the top "tube" seen on the real truck.to get the gate to open,I used some du bro small hinges,they'll most likely be removed and replaced with a more scale hinge(like the one seen on the real truck).for now they work fine!the last thing for the bed today is the styrene flats that will be used to space the balsa wood peices, I used evergreen ho scale flats to do this.
      here's a before and after photo,I'm super happy with the outcome of my 1st styrene full bed!
      here's how the tailgate is locked close,to do this,I 1st sourced out Wal-Mart for some fine chain(usually for jewelry).after I had that,I fabed up some pins out of fine steel wire,two are glued permanently on the truck and two are the locking pins.the retainers are made of .060 styrene and glued in place with hot glue.I used a hot Brad nail a long nose pliers(not to burn my fingers)instead of a drill not crack the plastic.the pin passes through the retainer and tailgate side to keep the gate closed-simple and effective!-lol!
      to finish my day I put some accessories on my rig,a long military antenna mounted on a aluminum mount for the rear.I made this using heavier gauge steel wire wrapped around my screw driver,then secured with a piece of craft dowel.I also added the front lights off my 1st p-w body and added some custom light buckets on the rear.
      here's Joe enjoying his new truck bed!he's now this much closer to driving his rig!
      enjoy the photos!more to come,stay tuned!
      This gallery has 16 photos.

Comment

Well today was another great day of work!the bed is now almost complete!today I set the wood floor boards in place,I can't glue them down just yet since I haven't painted the main bed.for now I'll stain them and get em' ready!while I was working on the back of the truck,I decided to put my RX in the faux gas tank I made.since I'm using a tactic radio,the RX was small enough to fit.to be able to reach my receiver,I made a simple mount system with some small hinges.
        i also decided to cut out the grill today,but after messing up the new one,I ended up using the one off my 1st body.it looks perfect!besides,I'll be painting this one the same color as the 1st!while I was in body work,I figured I should make some inner fender well extensions. Made from lexan,these should look perfect!all I have to now is paint them black!
        This gallery has 9 photos.

Comment

today was electronics day,orvat least light kit day.the last order I received finally delivered my axial simple light kit,I chose this unit for its simplicity, it only has 6 lights(4white and 2red)which is perfect for the power wagon!I feel that axial probably designed this kit for their Jeep wrangler body,because it's built in sort of a weird configuration, for my next power wagon project(a mud truck this time!)I'll be using rc4wd's light options. While I was in the electronic domain,I decided to re-do the placement of the RX,it being in the gas tank required to long a receiver wire,so I put it next to the t-case.the winch controller is now placed under the front body mounts.
          i also started my interior tonight, I just started by cutting out a simple floor pan out of .030 evergreen styrene,I look forward to continuing this tomorrow!
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Looks like you had a busy week. The dropped bed is very nice and the wood adds a nice touch. I like your tailgate latch arrangement too. Are you going to use a DODGE decal on the tailgate or are you going to cut out the letters and give it a 3D look?

Hope the words in my build post didn't jinx you in cutting out the grill openings. You were probably already sweating bullets as you were cutting them out let alone maybe thinking about what I said about my skill level in doing that. Perfection isn't easy. Your solution to swap it out with the other one was a good one. That grill looks great.

I see the additional bolts were added to the body/bed fender interface. Made quite a difference in strength didn't it?

The lights look good. What are you going to do with the other two front lights? Suggestion: you might want to consider adding some material around the LEDs to tone down those tail lights. They look like very bright brake lights. Here's a picture of my tail lights in a dark room. I loosely packed insulation material around the LEDs to take the sharpness out of them.

Love the amount of space available for the interior. You should be able to do quite a bit with all that room. I see why Joe gets to keep his legs.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks man!the bed was not easy to do,the tailgate took a couple of try to right,but in the end turned out pretty good.also,I'll be cutting the leters out to create a 3D efect!
              when I cut out my 2nd grill I ended up messing it up(not your fault-lol!,I had way to many distractions).and thanks for the screw on bed/cab section,the body looks and sits better on the chassis. For the other 2 lights,I'm thinking of using them as rock lights,also could you explain what it is to add material around the lights?sounds good,I'd like to try it out.
              also,joe should be sitting in his rig tonight!

Comment

The insulation material used was a piece of house fiberglass insulation that is used between walls. I wasn't sure how hot an LED gets inside an enclosed space so I used sometime that wouldn't catch fire. Only need a little bit in each one. I took a small piece from my attic.

Comment

Sounds good!I'll take a trip to the hardware store this week and see what I can do!I'd go today,but my last order coated me a pretty penny!-lol!

Comment

today was interior day,yesterday I started my floor pan,so today I was able to get right to work!the day started with fabing up a firewall,this was the easiest part to make.once the interior was looking right,I needed a seat,I was gonna use bucket seats,but not many real power wagon's heve them,so I chose to make a custom bench seat!it's made using .060 styrene sheet,it'll be painted black and covered in lether to make it look right!when the seat was complete, I saw I was missing a transmission bump,so I made one!I used .030 styrene and made it low profile-like the real truck!last but not least,pedals!I chose to base this truck on a Manuel one,so I made 3 pedals:gas,brake and clutch.I made them with thick styrene a set them in place with 2.4mm styrene tube.next up is some stuff from shape ways,but I'll keep that secret for now!-lol!
                    here you can see Joe enjoying his new interior, I think I gotta make him some seat belts,but 1st,paint!(when the rain ends,however).
                    This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

another great day of work in the books!today was the second of 4 paint day for this build,it was body day!I started the day by disassembling and prepping the body(long and tedious!-lol!).when all was ready for paint I chose krylon olive drab paint and painted on the outside, I use this method to recreate the look of hard plastic body's.in the end,it turned out really well!tomorrow is gonna be the bed,as seen here,it looks sort of weird!-lol!it'll be painted black and so will the interior. The front grill is now permanently in place and waiting for a radiator. While I was waiting for the paint to dry,I stained the wood flats for the bed,I used a furniture touch up pen,I have this technique posted in the how to's section!they look nice!here you can see my custom made mirrors.
                      a mistake I made earlier with the interior actually turned into a great thing!by accident, I cut just a little to much off the back panel,which left it with no attachment point.I was able to save this by putting a piece of styrene to catch the body,which ended up giving me a great place to store the winch battery and speed control.the gap created by cutting to much let's the wires pass perfectly and the space under the seat allows for the battery and ESC to fit-thats a fun mistake!-lol!here you see the custom body locating bar.Joe,seen here enjoying the fact that his rig is no longer see thru!next I've got to get him some instruments in that cab!-lol!
                      enjoy the photos!more to come,stay tuned!​​​​​​​
                      This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

That's definitely taking shape as a trophy rig. The last image shows just how tough and strong this truck looks. It has an awesome look and probably could tackle just about anything with those tires. Joe is most likely very eager to take control but will need to be careful of those fragile mirrors. Hope you made some spares.

Adding pedals to the interior is another nice touch. However, noticed the brake pedal is much larger than the clutch pedal. I don't know what the real one came with but believe it should be the same size as the clutch pedal. I do like the texture you gave the brake pedal.

Are you planning to add a rear bumper? Did your shapeway order include some windshield wipers?

Comment

hey there RCtrucknut,thanks for the compliments!joe is super exited,but your right,he's nervous for his mirrors!-lol!i'll most likely swap them for some from shapeways,rcnerds made a nice set and i have my eye on them!for the pedals,i'll look at what the real truck has and fix that up if needed,i made them late saturday night and was super tired,so there's a good chance i missed something.for the rear bumper,I already built one!here's a photo of it,I made it low profile to match the military theme!I plan on adding a tow hitch to attach the custom trailer I'm building!and my order is definitely gonna have some windshield wipers!
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

today was day 3 of 4 for paint on this build,this time it was time for black!I started the day by prepping the bed and interior components by taping making sure I didn't mess up the green I applied yesterday. After about 2 long hours of prep,it was time to spray some color!today I was able to paint the complete bed,tailgate back,inner fender wells,interior pan and bench seat.when the paint dryed,I decided to glue on some scale floor carpeting,this completes the interior perfectly! For the seat,to take away the look of plastic,I glued on some foam followed by some fake lether,this all adds up to a pretty nice interior! I also re-did the pedals,RCtrucknut told me the brake and clutch pedals might be the same size...they are!so made a longer brake pedal!fixed!-lol!
                            here Joe is finally sitting in his painted interior, he looks pretty good in there!I made him some seat belts out of ribbon,it's easy to work with and looks great!next up,a dash and steering wheel!
                            This gallery has 11 photos.

Comment

Well gosh, we had a failure to communicate last time. The brake pedal and clutch petal should be the same size. Your clutch petal was the correct size. Now the brake pedal and clutch petal are too large. Recommend you switch the size of both to the old clutch pedal size. However, not sure that's going to matter as Joe's feet hide the pedals anyway.

Overall, your build is looking good. Nice touch with the foam under the leather. Did you order the Shapesway interior panel and gauge set? That was something that interested me but I hadn't pulled the trigger on purchasing it yet.

Comment

You've got to be kidding me!-lol!I guess I'll have to switch em' out again!although,like you said,Joe's feet do cover them nicely and with the dash and door panels,they might be okay.also,no I haven't ordered my shape ways parts yet,I'm working on making some cash for them now!as soon as I have them I'll post the installation and maybe have an unboxing on my YouTube channel (Laurentian radio control studios)!

Comment

Working...
                                X