Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackwell Axle 4 Links Mount (Better Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackwell Axle 4 Links Mount (Better Pictures)

We will add them to our site today and start shipping next week.
    www.rc4wd.com

Looking good,
    how about you rotate them 90 degrees so they are upright.

Comment

First of all, I got my link mounts on saturday - thanks RC4WD!!!!

I have discovered a couple issues during assembly I thought i'd let you know about.

First, obviously my axles are painted, so when i went to test fit the link mounts, they were VERY tight! I had to take a file and then sandpaper to clearance them a little so they would slide on a little easier and not totally destroy my paint job. The bolt that secures the mount still dug into the paint, as there is just zero clearance there. Basically, the mounts are machined perfectly to mount on plain billet axles with virtually little if any extra clearance for any kind of coating. I'm really very curious if you have actually test fitted your black powdercoated mounts on your black powdercoated axles - unless the powdercoating is VERY thin, I'm thinking you might have issues. You might want to double check this if you haven't already.

OK, second issue is the lowest link mounting hole on the lower link mount - the mounting hole is so close to the body of the mount that when installing one of your metal rod ends, only by having the rod end facing perfectly straight away from the mount can you barely get the bolt thru the link mount and the rod end, but even when you do, it's wedged in there so tight right up against the mount that the rod end will not move up and down or sideways at all. I had to take my rod end and grind the crap out of it to decrease it's diameter by about 2mm so it would be able to move in the mount - now i'm a little concerned about the strength of the rod end. Also, even though i can now get it to move up and down - side to side movement is still almost non existant. The real solution is that the hole really needs to be spaced out farther away from the mount about 1/16" or maybe slightly more. This is gonna be a major issue with anyone wanting to run your metal rod ends. (in the above pics, the link mounts are installed incorrectly, but in those pics the area I'm referring to is the tabs with mounting hole that is facing straight up)
      Last edited by swatdoc; 05-04-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Here's a pic to show what I'm describing. This is an un-moddified metal rod end bolted in place. If the rod end didn't have a slight flat spot ground into the very tip as they come, you wouldn't even be able to get it in far enough to insert the screw. In this picture, the camera is facing almost straight down, therefore the threaded portion of the rod end should have rotated away from the camera, but it's just stuck where it's at cause it can't move at all.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Looks like an endmill could clearance that section a little allowing for the movement needed.

Comment

That would probably work - wish I had one!

Hmmm, you gave me an idea, though - maybe a little bit of very careful dremel work? I think I'll have to give that a try.
            Last edited by swatdoc; 05-05-2009, 10:11 PM.

Comment

possible temporary fix until link mounts are updated.

Comment

Thanks Brett - good idea - I'll give it a try!

Comment

or just bump the hole for the mounting of the link end up a mill.... that will give you more space.
                  This is ME!
                  This is RC Help Page

Comment

I will have to check my Black ones to see.

Trying to get other projects done so I can really focus on this build...

Comment

Any updates?
                      Rc4wd Team Driver ~ Jp Custom's Team Driver ~ HaVoc Driver

http://rccrawler.com/forum/picture.p...pictureid=1203

POST YOUR VIDS @ Hobbyzip.com

Comment

Originally posted by run2jeepn View Post
                        Any updates?
                        On what? Axles and links are in stock. Far as I know.

Comment

I test fit my black links on the black axles...perfect fit. No need for grinding.

Cannot wait to get to this project...

Comment

that's good to hear - but you're gonna still have to do some grinding or filing to be able to use that lower link hole with a metal rod end.

Comment

Originally posted by 500swmag View Post
                              Looking good,
                              how about you rotate them 90 degrees so they are upright.
                              can they be rotated so the double is up? or are the axle tubes/ mounts not perfect squares?
                              My truck buddy's give me crap all the time,
                              Build a real one they say!
                              I say, I don't need a tow truck when mine breaks

Subtle as a Sledgehammer lol
                              Wouldnt have it any other way

Comment

Working...
                              X