Marlin Crawler Shocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Crawler Shocks

The Marlin Crawler comes w/80mm Superlift shocks. I'm looking to get a little more travel and flex. Has anyone tried 90mm or 100mm Superlifts and removing all but the main leaf?

Hi rjbokelman,I did this on my tf2 and it works awesome! I used rc4wd's superlift 100mm in the rear and 90mm in the front.may want to check and get rc4wd's gelande 2 front shock towers,it'll give your suspension a little more flex!here are some pics of my trucks setup(to check it out fully,see"gasguzzler's beater hilux"in the 1.55/1.9 section!).hope this helps!
    --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--
    --ZACHAUDET::GASGUZZLER--
    --LAURENTIAN RC STUDIOS ON YOU TUBE,INSTAGRAM
    TWITTER,FACEBOOK,PINTEREST AND TUMBLR
    --TINY TRUCKER'S COMMUNITY FACEBOOK GROUP--
    --ON THE SCALE BUILDERS GUILD--

https://www.youtube.com/c/LaurentianRCStudios

Comment

Gasguzzler Appreicate the reply and images. The Marlin Crawler has the Gelande II front hoops standard.

I’ve tried different things. Of course this will change when I add the highly detailed interior as it will add weight, but here’s what I’ve found so far:

1) I removed the 80mm Superlift shock springs and the smaller helper leaf. Only a so-so improvement and still too stiff.

2) I removed all but the main leaf and that was too soft and my steering arm would hit the servo arm when compressed.

3) I put in 90mm Superlift front and rear, but used the 80mm shock springs. Much better, but the front was a little too soft and the front tires would rub in hard left / right turns (especially when backing up due to slop) because it was sitting too low in the front.

4) I then put the 90mm Superlift springs in the front only. Near perfection, but the front tires do rub a very slight amount in hard left / right turns and while slightly less than #3 in reverse (due to slop).

5) I have some 100mm coming w/Teraflex shackles coming ... we’ll see how this work out.

Comment

That should do perfect! I have the teraflex shackles on the build list for my rig,I look forward to seeing how they work for you!the setup on my truck is as follows:main leafs front and rear,no helper springs,100mm rear and 90mm front superlifts,custom steel 20mm longer then stock shock towers and the chino mod.this set up works wonders over stock!I also have a custom aluminum interirior, which is pretty heavy,hope this helps!
        --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Gasguzzler We spoke earlier about my 'build' in the Customer Support area. RC4WD is still in the process of getting the proper missing leaf spring, but its not on the critical path anymore.

I started by replacing the rear leaf shackle mounts with ones from Bowhouse RC.

I then added the A&M Garage front leaf shackle reversal kit, but sprayed them black and then used some Testors dullcote to dull them up.

I then replaced the drive shafts with the SuperShafty / MIP set.

I then installed the A&M Garage high clearance skid and sprayed the inside black just for looks using Testors dullcote again for a more weathered appearance. I left the bottom of the skid alone figuring it would just get punished during use.

I moved the battery tray around, moved the electronics, swapped out the Tamiya / NiMH connector and ESC to LiPo. In this case adding an XT60 w/5200mAh 3S Helios RC pack. It's the same exact size as the provided RC4WD NiMH pack.

I replaced the stock servo with this one from Amazon as the stock was just to weak: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That servo for the money is darn nice and comes with a 25T arm too.

I then began messing around with the leafs and shocks as described above until I was fairly happy...more on that later once I get the 100mm's and the Teraflex kit.

Installed the Warn Winch, wired to Channel 3, added a Warn black fairlead and hook.

Installed the metal rear bumper, but sprayed it with black rubber for a dull look and protection. Need to spray the front, but already had the winch mounted so ... another day for that later on.

I then used the TF2 basic lighting kit to install most of the lights in the body, but wasn't happy about them not having a Marlin specific set. So I ordered some extra 2mm Yellow LEDs for the front and rear. Will install those - replacing the white 3mm with the 2mm Yellow in the front. Also will replace a set of the 2mm Red in the rear with Yellow.

Finally, so far, added some self sticking black rubber pads on the bottom of the axles and pumpkins to help them from getting too scratched up while in use. Not sure how well that will work, but might replace them with some diamond plate later.

More to do, but making good progress thus far.
          Last edited by rjbokleman; 08-07-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Nice job so far!I had no idea you were this advanced on this rig,I like the big center skid plate,where did that come from?I look forward to seeing this project progress towards even more greatness down the road!
            --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

The skid plate is from A&M Garage [ https://aandmgarage.com/shop?olsPage...tf2-skid-plate ]. I don't know about 'greatness' , but should be a somewhat solid rig when done.

Comment

Thanks,I'll be looking into getting one,looks awesome! And don't sell your self short,for your 1st leaf sprung truck,this looks great!keep up the great work and keep me posted!if you got any other questions, feel free to ask me!
                --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

I was on vacation there for a bit. I have been struggling with the turning radius and tire rub. Finally got it sorted out last night with the stock Irok's.

At the moment I have Superlift 90mm shocks in the front and rear. The front have the 90mm springs in them. The rear 90mm have the 80mm springs in them. I'm running two leafs in the front with the O-Ring mod. In the rear, a single leaf with no mods. Haven't done anything with the Teraflex's yet.

The issue was trying to get a nice 45+ degree turn without the Irok's rubbing on the body. I even tried mounting some Fuel Gripper M/T's on the TRO (smaller tires) wheels only to find they don't fit very well. So I went back to the Irok's for now.

I have some Goodyear MT/R's in 1.55 and some 1.55 wheels on order to try as well and experiment with those 100mm shocks in the rear only.

Comment

Sounds nice,I look forward to seeing those tires installed, I was thinking of getting some,but I wasn't sure about the size for my tf2
                    --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

So...got the Goodyear MT/R's mounted on 1.55 Truckie wheels. Going to look at them for a few days ... trying to decide if they're a little on the small side now.

Comment

I like those rims!I think I'll get myself a set now
                        --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

So you don't think they're too small then?

Comment

No,not at all!they look pretty sweet!
                            --RC4WD TEAM DRIVER--

Comment

Working...
                            X