RC4wd Silver Can Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC4wd Silver Can Motors

I picked up one of the new RC4wd Silver Can Motors for a new project I am working on. The new motors are closed endbell format and come in 35T, 45T, 55T, 65T and 80T.

Website Specs:

* Custom made 540 steel case
    * Chrome plated case
    * Build in capacitor for minimizing glitch
    * High torque magnet and rotor
    * Small footprint (50mm long)
    * Tuned for rock climbing and scale driving
    * Dual bushings

Performance Specs:

* (At no load) RPM @ 7.2V : 9500 (?10%), .95Amp Current
    * (Max Efficiency) RPM @ 7.2V : 8100 (?10%), 4.29Amp Current
    * Designed operating temperature range: -30?C to +80?C
    * Motor end play : .50mm max
    * Noise level: < 60db
    Last edited by Rckcrwlr; 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM.

First thing is to look at the fit and finish.

The Chrome Finish is nice. There is no discoloration and it looks like it will last through the wear and tear that a motor like this can see. I would like to see some type of label with the logo and specs on it.

The mounting holes are standard 3mm thread at the 540 spacing. This allows unlimited applications.

The rear of the motor is nicely finished and has a bold red identifier to ensure you are wiring it correctly. The tabs are have the holes for ease of soldering.

They also come with dual ball bearings that are not usually found in a motor of this type. You normally see bushings made of brass that when introduced to heat, water and dirt, they will eventually fail.

Comment

Cool, I might pick one up a 35t for my upcoming Honcho build.
      Team RC4WD / JP Custom RCs / Team Panther / Kamikaze Kustoms Driver / Team Brood / Team *

Comment

The motor is slight longer than a standard 540 open endbell motor.

Below is a comparison, from left to right, Traxxas Titan Motor vs RC4wd Silver Can Motor vs Standard 540 Open Endbell Motor.

And weighs in at 5.6 oz.

Comment

My project rig isn't quite done yet but I will update you as soon as I get it installed.

Comment

In preparation of install, I wanted to make sure that I break in the motor properly.

I elected to Water Break-In this motor to make sure that I get the best cut of the brushes will the least amount of heat.

Closed Endbell motors are extremely durable but unfortunately are not rebuild-able. So it is important to make sure that you break-in and maintain the motor.

After break-in I made sure all the water was out by spraying it with motor spray. I then came back with a light oil for the bearings on each end of the motor.

It is ready to go...

Last edited by Rckcrwlr; 12-21-2009, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I was able to get this thing running today.

I have to say that these are pretty smooth motors.

Now, it is not a Handwound or Brushless...so don't expect it, but for a closed endbell motor at this pricepoint, it can't be beat.

Now let me set up the scenario:

Axial Honcho
              2s LiPo
              16T Pinion
              65T RC4wd Silver Can
              Dynamite Tazer 12T ESC (Yeah, I know)
              Losi 2.4 Ghz Radio

The video below shows how smooth the motor is. Remember that I water broke this in (that will make a huge difference).

Recommendation:
              • Full on comp motor, possibly for a beginner (35t would do better)
              • Durable Platform makes it great for bashing and scale runs.
              • Price makes it possible to carry a couple backups if the scale running gets ugly
              • Buy One and try it out (For $10...why not)

Comment

So in the motor pics it sure looks like bronze bushings in the motor(what I expect at the price as well). But in the descriptions it says bearings so which is it bearinged of bushings???

I got 2 on the way honestly I can care less if its bushings kinda hope it is. But I know if it is bushings some dork will buy them and freak out on the sights about not getting bearings..
                NOSTR
                BYT

Comment

Originally posted by sloppy View Post
                  So in the motor pics it sure looks like bronze bushings in the motor(what I expect at the price as well). But in the descriptions it says bearings so which is it bearinged of bushings???

I got 2 on the way honestly I can care less if its bushings kinda hope it is. But I know if it is bushings some dork will buy them and freak out on the sights about not getting bearings..
                  Bushings. We will fix that. Thanks

Comment

No problem.. looks like a great product thanks..
                    NOSTR
                    BYT

Comment

Hello,

i got two of them for a test. A member of our german forum did a motortest
                      of the 65T Silver Can and others, so you have a comparsion list (still growing):

Novak 55T (Charts missing, sorry)

Robitronic 55T Motor

Holmes Cobalt Puller 7T

Holmes Cobalt Puller 10T

Holmes Cobalt Puller 454

Astro Flight 05 Cobalt

RC4WD 65T

As you can see, the Silver Can isn't the best but for it's price a good choice for scalers. I tried to mount it into my 2.2 and narrowed Super Bully but it's a bit to long, but it will fit the regular widht Super Bullys, Clods and Scalers.

...and keep in mind that it's not fair to compare it to the HH 7T Cobalt

I hope this will help a bit...

Greetings Frank
                      Wanna be a rock star

www.rockcrawler.de
                      the gentlemen of rock

Comment

Thanks for the info Frank. Some great stuff.

Is it true that the Robotronics Dyno does not do an actual load test on the motor. I do know the CE Dyno's I used when I built motors did a load on the motor for a more true data sheet. Not to put down the Robotronics, just trying to make sure my theory is correct.

Again...thanks for being so darn good with the info.

Comment

Hi Tom,

thanks, done with pleasure

The Robotronic used a flywheel for the loadtest, my buddy said that it's a bit to
                          light, so the max speed isn't 100% correct, but all motors have been tested with
                          the same load.

Greetings Frank
                          Wanna be a rock star

www.rockcrawler.de
                          the gentlemen of rock

Comment

I love the stickers on these guys! Just got my order in and man, the motor looks great! Can't wait to get the truck built and run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                              I love the stickers on these guys! Just got my order in and man, the motor looks great! Can't wait to get the truck built and run it.
                              Take a photo.

Comment

Working...
                              X