This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting stamped beadlocks to tires.

Ok..i ordered a set of the Steel wheels (BL00) and a set of Mudslingers. Was originally gonna run some Dirt Grabbers but TCS didnt have enough of them in stock at the time. Now i cant seem to get these Mudslingers mounted on the rims. Is there a trick im missing here? I thought the Slingers would be easier to fit since they are a bit narrower then the Dirt Grabbers. At first i thought i had been sent 2.2s by mistake. checked the fitment of the outer parts of the rim..nope thats not it. tried to fit them with the internal bead lock rings in place...not happening. It seems i might need longer hardware to make these work. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Racer4Life; 01-10-2010, 11:41 PM.

Originally posted by Darkrider View Post
    Ok..i ordered a set of the Steel wheels (BL00) and a set of Mudslingers. Was originally gonna run some Dirt Grabbers but TCS didnt have enough of them in stock at the time. Now i cant seem to get these Mudslingers mounted on the rims. Is there a trick im missing here? I thought the Slingers would be easier to fit since they are a bit narrower then the Dirt Grabbers. At first i thought i had been sent 2.2s by mistake. checked the fitment of the outer parts of the rim..nope thats not it. tried to fit them with the internal bead lock rings in place...not happening. It seems i might need longer hardware to make these work. Any suggestions?

You will need to use a couple longer screws to mount the tires. Use three long screws and the once you get close to add the others, add them and remove the longer screws. Then finish the job.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! Will see what i can do about locating longer M2 hardware around here.

Comment

there is easier way to do this, and it will put less stress on the small hardware and make sure your bead seeds straight. I will show you using a 1.9 creeper which has the same issue as the slingers on these rims.

you will need a 3mm bolt, 30mm to 50mm's long and a 3mm nut and washer, the next piece is up to you.. I used a small round servo horn that I cut and drilled out center hole.

with these parts you will make something that looks like this.

now place the silver ring inside the tire, you will find the bead of the tire hard get just right, massage it a bit and get it to set even all the way around the ring. Now place the front half of your rim onto the tire don't force it in just set it there evenly. now while holding front in place, flip your tire over and place on the back half of rim, make sure you look through bolt holes so they line up, same as front just place it on the bead evenly. then put on the last section of the rim that hold the pin on the axle.

don't try to squeeze the rim together by hand it will just pop a bead just hold the sections in place with you hand. Now slide the 3mm bolt with a washer on it, through the center hole of the rim from back to front. then place cut servo horn(or what ever you make) over the 3mm bolt sticking out the front of rim, then put a nut over that. looks like this

now tighten up the nut and bolt, this will pull the 3 sections of rim evenly and bring them together.

now the section will be close enough to put in 2 of the wheel bolts and nuts.

tighten the wheel nuts to take the pressure off of the 3mm center puller and remove it.

now you can install the rest of the wheel nuts, and you should have a perfectly seeded bead. just make sure you use a star pattern when you tighten then up.

sorry for the long explanation, but it works, and it will take you less then 5 min per tire and with perfectly seeded beads

Comment

Originally posted by chaseracer View Post
          there is easier way to do this, and it will put less stress on the small hardware and make sure your bead seeds straight. I will show you using a 1.9 creeper which has the same issue as the slingers on these rims.

Very good idea. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Comment

np, trying to earn my keep.

Comment

Thanks much for the guide! I was just about pulling my hair out thinking there was something wrong with my beadlocks. I have the same 1.9 combo, and couldn't get the screws through to save my life!

Comment

oem 1.9 steel locks to rock creepers

I was having the same problems mounting rock creepers to oem 1.9 steel stock wheels, my father told me to put the tires in the freezer the rubber would shrink and it worked perfect 5min per wheel

Comment

additional information:

If you use talcum powder (baby powder I guess, english is not my first language) in the bead of the tire it will mount a lot easier and you won't need to apply a lot of torque to the nut-bolt "special tool".

Comment

Working...
                  X