This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Clarification of Wheel Offset...

Installing a wheel with less rear of wheel backspacing than the factory wheel results in the wheel sticking out further than the stock wheel did.

Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel.

Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

*Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel.

In Simple Terms:-

Positive Offset Makes your Wheels Stick Out

Negative Offset does the Opposite.

Comment

according to your diag, the opposite.....
      positive is like fwd rims tucks em in
      neg is deep dish rwd style

getting the centre of the rim to be over the wheel bearing centre is best for wheel bearing life
      My truck buddy's give me crap all the time,
      Build a real one they say!
      I say, I don't need a tow truck when mine breaks

Subtle as a Sledgehammer lol
      Wouldnt have it any other way

Comment

Originally posted by Dready View Post
        In Simple Terms:-

Positive Offset Makes your Wheels Stick Out

Negative Offset does the Opposite.
        Yeap...think you are backwards....that is why I thought I would post this. I always get it wrong.

Originally posted by scxflex View Post
        according to your diag, the opposite.....
        positive is like fwd rims tucks em in
        neg is deep dish rwd style

getting the centre of the rim to be over the wheel bearing centre is best for wheel bearing life
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
          Installing a wheel with less rear of wheel backspacing than the factory wheel results in the wheel sticking out further than the stock wheel did.

Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel.

Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

*Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel.
          would it be possible to pass this information on to rc4x4. I haven't checked every wheel on the rc4x4/store but I would hazard a guess that they are all incorrect.

one example part number Z-W0075 1.9 landies internal beadlock.
          the advertised off-set is 14.2mm positive off-set when the wheel its self is only 25.2mm wide. that would put the hex mounting face 0.8mm past the outside edge of the wheel, when the hex face is clearly in-set by at least 4mm.

kind of defeats the object of putting the offset measurements on in the first place if they are not going to be exact, it should be easier to get it right than to get it wrong unless they are just guessing which im sure is not the case but it wouldent say much for the company if they are just guessing.

wheels can be the single most expensive component in a build after axles and considering that the two go hand in hand with regards to the relationship between hex-to-hex and wheel off-set measurements it would be nice to know you are getting exactly what you planned for when scratch building a truck.

I gave an example of one inaccuracy Z-W0075 I know there are more. It would take no more than a day to re-measure all of the wheel off-sets and provide correct measurements on the rc4x4/store site.

Comment

^ I had the exact same thought about the wonky offset numbers. Funny that it is because I am looking for some heavy positive offset wheels so the same 1.9 Landies caught my eye.

Looking at it closer, I think the 'offset' number is actually backspacing and they are merely stating that the wheel is positive or negative offset because of the backspacing listed.

So for the 1.9 Landies, with the width being 25.2mm and the backspacing 14.2mm, they have a positive offset (of (25.2/2)-14.2 = 1.6mm)

Now, I need something with a solid 10mm+ of true positive offset, or 20mm+ of backspacing. So far all I have found are some non-beadlock pieces on fleabay. I was so hoping the Vintage Cruisers were the solution as they LOOK to be positive offset but no dice. Anyone have any advice?

Comment

I have had a few questions about the off sets listed in the shop at times, myself. Mainly on the older items. Must of been a guy working there who got his + and - 's mixed up at one time I can't remember which rims to go back and even see if they are even still offered.

Anywho, and remember, with rc's that offset is measured from the inside face of the hex, not the mouth of the hex
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X